Clonazepam to Diazepam crossover advice or guidance

[cr...]

Hi, if there is a more specific thread or area to post for crossover advice let me know since I couldn’t find it.

I’ve been on Klonopin for a year and a half now. 9 months on .5 mg and almost a year varying down to .025. I dose twice a day on 0.125 at 6pm and 0.125 at midnight total. I’m wanting to crossover to Valium as I unsuccessfully tried to taper off of K before but the inter-dose withdrawal was too unbearable.

I’ve been told and using online calculators that .25 is equal to 5mg of valium? I’ve also read that you should add 20% valium, is that per week or in total?

My diazepam is liquid and 1 mL is equal to 1mg of diazepam. I don’t mind taking a while to crossover since I plan on going off on .5 mL every two weeks. So would I be adding a dose of 1.5 ml of diazepam and removing an eighth of the K pill which would be equal to 0.0625 per week. Is this a viable or recommended way to crossover over a period of a month? Is that too long or too fast? I would appreciate any advice or guidance. Thanks!!

I was in a similar situation and the only difference was that I was on 0.125 of K 3 times a day. I replaced 0.125 mg of K with 2.5 mg first, and 2 weeks later again, and after another two weeks later I only took 7.5 mg V and no more K. It was an easy crossover, no issues at all. In your situation this would mean taking 2.5 mg of V instead of the daily dose of K for two weeks and then taking 5 mg V. I actually felt better albeit a little sedated after switching to V.

Thank you!

You're saying that I could potentially just cut out the first dose of K and add in the 2.5 mg of V immediately? Most crossover advice I've read said to do it a week at a time cutting out a 1/4 of K and adding in the equivalent of V.

Thank you!

You're saying that I could potentially just cut out the first dose of K and add in the 2.5 mg of V immediately? Most crossover advice I've read said to do it a week at a time cutting out a 1/4 of K and adding in the equivalent of V.

That's what I did. I actually waited to weeks between every 0.125 K to 2.5 V switch.

• 2 weeks later...

M1:  Would you feel comfortable sharing why you switched from clonazepam to diazepam?

The reason was that I felt no stability on clonazepam (0.375 mg). Anxiety always strengthened in the afternoon before I took my afternoon dose and failed to subside even after taking it. My skin tingled at the same time. The tinnitus was constant. I started seeing a new psychiatrist who switched me. With diazepam, once I'm stable on a dose, the anxiety is less pronounced, no tingling and there are days when my tinnitus almost completely fades. I'm now on liquid diazepam, and I can taper much more accurately and gradually without having to use a scale. I was also skeptical about he Ashton method in the beginning but now I see why she recommended diazepam. I'm tapering very slowly and I'm pretty functional. I do have symptoms (tinnitus, situational anxiety) but they are manageable. I'm able to conduct my life pretty normally. I even flew overseas last week and felt pretty good.

The reason was that I felt no stability on clonazepam (0.375 mg). Anxiety always strengthened in the afternoon before I took my afternoon dose and failed to subside even after taking it. My skin tingled at the same time. The tinnitus was constant. I started seeing a new psychiatrist who switched me. With diazepam, once I'm stable on a dose, the anxiety is less pronounced, no tingling and there are days when my tinnitus almost completely fades. I'm now on liquid diazepam, and I can taper much more accurately and gradually without having to use a scale. I was also skeptical about the Ashton method in the beginning but now I see why she recommended diazepam. I'm tapering very slowly and I'm pretty functional. I do have symptoms (tinnitus, situational anxiety) but they are manageable. I'm able to conduct my life pretty normally. I even flew oversees last week and felt pretty good.

Thank you so much, M1.  This is incredibly helpful!

Great stuff M1

I havent had a hol for 5 years and in two years have only put 800 miles on the car!

Its the panics.

Diazepam is my long term but if I have challenge like a funeral I take oxazepam 10mg----why it works when i am so used to valium I dunno

AS i am titrating down serequel and find it is quite hard at lower doses (I want that metabolic bomb out of the system)., I am not touching anything else yet.

Wishing you all a good titration down

Dick

• 2 months later...
Because of your help, Maugham1. I was able to take the month of May to crossover to Valium. I can't thank you enough for your guidance. It was not without its hardships but I'm feeling more balanced and have started to taper off this month of July. I feel like I'm preparing for a long road ahead but I have more hope than ever and think that patience and acceptance will be key. Thank you all again and wish you all loving kindness on your journey.

Because of your help, Maugham1. I was able to take the month of May to crossover to Valium. I can't thank you enough for your guidance. It was not without its hardships but I'm feeling more balanced and have started to taper off this month of July. I feel like I'm preparing for a long road ahead but I have more hope than ever and think that patience and acceptance will be key. Thank you all again and wish you all loving kindness on your journey.

You're most welcome. I wish you an easy taper!

• 1 month later...

I screwed up and do not know what to. I switched from .50 K to .25k and 5 mg for 1 week and then dropped k and did 8 mg of V and started 1 mg taper per 7 to 10 days, Madrid it down to 6 while experiencing multiple symptoms and have been feeling awful!! I thought since I was only on the K short term 2 months, I would be able to taper off fast.

Wondering if I should go back up on the V and start a slower taper? My dr wants me to add Zoloft and I have not? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 years later...