Probably really anxiety ridden stupid question

[la...]

I have been doing great with my titration taper from ativan for the past three weeks.  I watched a tv show last night in which the main character was crushing up painkiller pills to get more high and suddenly I panicked.  No big surprise for me to panic!  Anyway, I wondered- is crushing up my ativan safe to do??  It isn't like the opiate drugs right?  This is the only drug that I take, I have never taken pain pills in my life.  Just suddenly wondered if I was doing something sketch by crushing my tablets into milk.

Thank you!

Emily

Hi Emily,

I've not heard your question before but I can see why you'd be concerned.  The whole process of getting off of these drugs makes us feel unclean.  The equipment required, the strict attention to dosages and amounts is too much like the movies we see on TV.  I'm not aware of any issues with crushing the pills you take, did the drug user intend to snort the powder?  That's a common practice I believe.

No, in the show she was just taking it with juice.  It is an icky process but I was feeling so good about it because it was working well for me.  I can't believe my mom gave me a show about a drug addicted nurse in a hospital.  Just trying to give me the jitters!  Although that is a whole other story!  Bleh.

I would think the only benefit of crushing the pill for the drug user would be for faster absorption, it takes the time the pill has to be broken down by the body and lessens it.

I hope you can get all of that out of your head.  Thanks Mom!  :laugh: