hypnopompic and hypnogogic symptoms

[se...]

Hi,  I feel like I've narrowed in on some aspects of my symptoms and am curious if anyone else has thoughts on this.

My most difficult mental symptoms are often experienced when I wake up (hypnopompic) or fall asleep (hypnogogic).  I have seen lots of information on "hypnogogic hallucinations" but I don't think mine are hallucinations or at least I don't see or hear anything but I can have REALLY intense emotions during these times.  They are terrorizing and ruin my ability to take a nap and can lead to anxiety that lasts throughout my day.  These experiences though, are one of the only true objective measures I have that there is damage.  (I don't notice cognitive deficits consistently in daily life.)  Perhaps this is a correct statement, perhaps not but I never experienced these to this degree before the benzos.  If I eat too much processed sugar or over exert it leads to a wave and I have these experiences a lot more and with greater intensity.

Wikipedia cites a study and says, "Depressed frontal lobe function in the first few minutes after waking – known as "sleep inertia" – causes slowed reaction time and impaired short-term memory."  Is this an area commonly affected by the benzos?

Does anyone have any theories or thoughts about what these mean and whether they are useful in determining your level of healing?  I get upset when I start thinking about all the cognitive damage that's been done and how long it might take to reverse it and how much that will happen.  Are there better ways to determine your level of cognitive deficits?

Thank you for going ahead with this topic, it’s sort of getting to me. I don’t know much about it other than I know this longer lasting damage is related to the drug we’re all here for, in my case. I’m getting so tired of the word/name for this drug.

Hi,  I feel like I've narrowed in on some aspects of my symptoms and am curious if anyone else has thoughts on this.

My most difficult mental symptoms are often experienced when I wake up (hypnopompic) or fall asleep (hypnogogic).  I have seen lots of information on "hypnogogic hallucinations" but I don't think mine are hallucinations or at least I don't see or hear anything but I can have REALLY intense emotions during these times.  They are terrorizing and ruin my ability to take a nap and can lead to anxiety that lasts throughout my day.  These experiences though, are one of the only true objective measures I have that there is damage.  (I don't notice cognitive deficits consistently in daily life.)  Perhaps this is a correct statement, perhaps not but I never experienced these to this degree before the benzos.  If I eat too much processed sugar or over exert it leads to a wave and I have these experiences a lot more and with greater intensity.

Wikipedia cites a study and says, "Depressed frontal lobe function in the first few minutes after waking – known as "sleep inertia" – causes slowed reaction time and impaired short-term memory."  Is this an area commonly affected by the benzos?

Does anyone have any theories or thoughts about what these mean and whether they are useful in determining your level of healing?  I get upset when I start thinking about all the cognitive damage that's been done and how long it might take to reverse it and how much that will happen.  Are there better ways to determine your level of cognitive deficits?

Hi Seltzerer,

I think the best way to test cognitive deficits is to have some predetermined level of competency at a complex cognitive task, like playing chess, and see if you can play at your former level. Obviously the ideal is a full scale IQ test. I am going to see a neuropsychologist next week, so I may have a bit more information then. I've tried to see one previously, but have been talked out of it because it is expensive and the psychologists tend to say full scale testing might not be terribly useful for me. I actually think they are saying this more out of their self-interest than mine. I think they are afraid of diagnosing a brain injury induced by a doctor for fear of losing patient referrals. In my case, I just want information.

Thanks. I haven’t looked into cognitive testing mostly because I don’t have a baseline for it and it’s expensive. I’m interested in hearing about your experience, Data guy.  I have a sense that any discrepancies might be due to natural personal variation too. With chess isn’t there skill involved?  I think I actually performed better while on the benzos. I did really well in grad school largely because of the help of the medication. Yes, I really believe that. I can’t read a book without difficulties now but I’m not sure what exactly is at play there.

Difficulty concentrating is one of the many symptoms of brain injury. I think you are only 7 months out? It should clear up as you heal further.

Difficulty concentrating is one of the many symptoms of brain injury. I think you are only 7 months out? It should clear up as you heal further.

Thanks, Data_Guy.  Yep, 7 months today!  I'm not sure it's just concentration.  I can concentrate pretty well with other things.  I don't know what all is comprised for cognition but I think there are memory issues as well when reading and probably other cognitive domains.

Explanation of benzos and withdrawal: is amount of benzos use, total dosage per day, length of time taking them, and frequency of time using benzos (either intermittently usage per week, off and on for months, continuous use for whole length of time from start to jumping). The longer and more higher the dosage of the benzo or benzos used, the more time it takes to withdraw from said substance(s). And the longer the taper will be to get off in general. Note: there will a very wide variations in withdrawal and severity also for each person are all different. Also depends what benzo withdrawling from short half life benzos being the quickest to feel withdrawal coming on to long lasting one half life up to 4-6 days for Valium. Most benzos effects of calming are 4-6 hrs except Klonopin which effects can be felt 8-12hrs long. Valium long half life and short duration of effects make it good only when taken several times a day like Xanax, Ativan, Restoril, etc. like short half life benzos.

I hate hypnogogic symptoms. Like racing thoughts, sleep jerks, or pain in any part of the body, nightmares, vivid dreams,etc. Hearing sounds, images, or hearing music too(earworms). And long list of other sleep disturbances.