Someone went through Seroquel withdrawal? Please help!

[Yu...]

I am struggling with Seroquel withdrawal after my benzo withdrawal. There is really dark depression and will to die. Someone who suffered this tell me how long it will last?

Hi Yulitka83,

I was on 75mg of Seroquel for about a year. I tapered off quickly: dropped to 50mg for two weeks, 25mg for one week, and then to zero. I had about two days of feeling like I had the flu and about two weeks of pretty bad insomnia. After two weeks, the sleep issues became manageable and were pretty much gone after 5-6 weeks. I've been off of it for about nine months now and I don't miss it at all.

Hang in there.

~ Fiskadoro

Thank you Fiskadoro. I am 2 weeks off and started to feel better. Was totally lost, but now i feel old myself is coming back.

I am struggling with Seroquel withdrawal after my benzo withdrawal. There is really dark depression and will to die. Someone who suffered this tell me how long it will last?

how much were you on and how fast did you taper off?

I was on it 4 months for dose 100mg, then 3 weeks 50 mg, then 3 weeks 25 mg and then off january this year. I was doing well, with insomnia but well.But on mart i felt stressed and took 100mg for 2 days, thrn 50 mg for 2 day and 25 mg for 1 day and after that stoped. It was terrible because i had akathesia too. Now i feel nervous, sometimes want to cry and feel deppressed but much better. Now i am 2 weeks off and is getting better. This is dangerous medication be careful.

I was on it 4 months for dose 100mg, then 3 weeks 50 mg, then 3 weeks 25 mg and then off january this year. I was doing well, with insomnia but well.But on mart i felt stressed and took 100mg for 2 days, thrn 50 mg for 2 day and 25 mg for 1 day and after that stoped. It was terrible because i had akathesia too. Now i feel nervous, sometimes want to cry and feel deppressed but much better. Now i am 2 weeks off and is getting better. This is dangerous medication be careful.

well, i think you tapered off too fast. you cut your dose by 50% all at once. then you did another 50% cut after 3 weeks again.  then you felt bad and took the beginning original dose of 100mg for 2 days, then cut by 50% for 2 days then cut by 50% again and then Cold Turkeyed yourself.  you created kindling which is when your body and brain goes thru rapid withdrawal repeatedly creating more damage to the central nervous system. no judgement here, i've been there. you probly had no clue what you were doing to yourself. but that's why you're suffering. now that you know, you can avoid repeating the same mistakes in the future. instead of "cut and suffer" you could try the microtaper, which is very even smooth and gentle, and you can tailor it to suit your needs specifically as often and however you want.

i was on 400mg a night for about 20 years. in oct 2017 i beganto taper myself off, with no knowldge, but doing the best i could...breaking the tiny pills into pieces that were uneven because they were unscored, so i never got the same dose each night. but i made it to 75mg sometime in 2018. then i held for 5 months until this february when i began a much slower taper...and the big difference now is i use water to dissolve the pill portion that i'm tapering.

so for instance, now i'm taking 68.75mg seroquel/quetiapine..

basically i was taking 75mg, a 25 and a 50mg pill together at bedtime.  2 reasons this is a sucky approach...

1. quetiapine has a half life of 6 hours. which means 6 hours after dosing, half the drug has exited the body and you begin to have WD from the body wanting it's next dose. so i was waking up everyday for 20 years in wthdrawals. yay.

2. i was getting a big "brake" or sedative at once, gave me the munchies and weight gain and then dropped off after 6 hours so i woke up in night and couldn't feel stable emotionally during the day.

ok so now i take my doses of quetiapine spread out every 8 hours, so there's an even amount of the drug in my body throughout the day and night. much more stable emotions, less munchies, and weight is coming off. slewp better to, since i'm no longer in WD everyday.

also now instead of taking pills and trying to cut crush or shave them down, i use a little flask, and a couple of syringes with distilled water. i take the 25mg pill dry at 8am. i take another 25mg pill dry at 4pm, and i take the other 25mg pill and dissolve it in 25ml of distilled water at 6pm. let it sit and 2 hours later it's totally dissolved. the powder left in the bottom is the fillers in the pill, not the actual medicine. so for that 8pm dose, i syringe out the amount i'm currently tapering ( in my case my total daily dose is 68.75mg quetiapine, so i only remove 6.25mg from the daily dose)

so 25mg in 25ml H2O=1mg per 1ml H2O

so i syringe out that 6.25mg from my 25ml of quetiapine/H2O solution and squirt it down the sink. poor water supply. i know it sux

i then pour the rest of the quetiapine/H2O solution into a small cup of apple juice to cut the bitter taste and swallow it. then i add a tiny bit of H2O to the cup, swish and swallow that too, to make sure i got the last drop of medicine out.

since i started doing this instead of cutting pills, my symptoms have been sooo much easier to deal with. sleep better, feel better, think better.

important: you should not reduce faster than 10% of the previous dose of any medication per month. that can be broken down to 2.5% per week if you like, it's still 10% per month added together.  even better if you take breaks from tapering!

like the one i do is reduce by 2.5% each week for 4 weeks then HOLD for 2 weeks, to allow the body to adjust to the microcuts and stabilize before continuing.

people get into trouble because they try to CT or taper too fast. (been there done that bought the tshirt...yada yada)

ps. dissolving in H2O only works for the regular instant/immediate release form of quetiapine. the other one the quetiapine/seroquel XR extended release has a coating and it will ot dissolve in H2O. if you're on XR the n you'll need to switch the RX to the immediate release form.

I dont want to take Seroquel once again. Better i will go back on Valium 5 mg, i dont know. I begin 3 week off Seroquel and it is still hard. The depression is dark, i cant concentrate and watch tv. I hope that it will get easy.

Hi Y

Such wise postings. Thank you.

I was on  100 Seroquel, 20 diazepam, 15 mirtazipine and 125 pregabalin (for pain)

Now25 mg Seroq 15 diaz. 12 mirtazipine and pregabalin depending on pain.

My doc just said stop the seroqel insisting tapering not required. Ummm!

But I’ve tapered to 25 over one year.  Below 25 I get agitated next day as pointed out above in a post.

If you Google “ Dr Joanna Moncrieff” she will reassure you that none of these chemical are required for most of us and the science has been drug company driven for ages. Her you tube stuff is awesome.

Perhaps like me your depression is situational. Nothing can bring my wife back and every day is a struggle. I use relaxation, self hypnosis and prayer with mindfulness.

Best wishes.

I hope it resolves soon Y . Seroquel has minimal serotonin upping so I doubt if you will miss it. Are you getting enough sleep!  .? 

D

I can sleep 1 or 2 hours then wake up if i am lucky i can go back to sleep for another 1 or 2 hours. But it keeps get better. I hope.

May be you are right for depression because i am living alone and have nobody. My mom works in another country, my brother and his family are in another country, my dad is in this country but alcoholic. I feel so alone right now. After stopped Seroquel i started to cry. Want hope to return in my life once again or i cant handle this anymore. Now counting days for mom to come on 11.04.