Has anyone here had a colonoscopy?

[An...]

I am schedule for one in late April I think. I also have developed some very painful hemorrhoids that developed back in 2012 after taking Tylenol 3 for a tooth extraction. It constipated me really bad and I have been struggling on and off since with all the crazy benzo w/d crap. Here is my question? Can they address hemorrhoids when they go in to do the colonoscopy? If you have had a colonoscopy, can you tell me about the experience please? Thank you for sharing.

I've had one. I'm guessing they won't address the hemorrhoid issue while doing the colonoscopy, other than to confirm that you have them. I also have them, and I think the doctor mentioned that in his post-procedure notes. There are surgical ways to deal with them, but I'm guessing most gastro MDs would rather make it a separate issue. The surgical solution is usually reserved for really bad hemorrhoids that don't respond to usual medications and treatments.

As for the colonoscopy, I was very nervous about being knocked out. Some doctors will give you the option of being awake for the procedure if you prefer that. My doctor discouraged that idea when I inquired. He seemed to be more interested in just kind of an assembly line experience. Despite my nervousness about general anesthesia (they used the drug that was administered to Michael Jackson before he died), I agreed and bit the bullet. It was a classic case of once they put the medicine into the IV, I remembered my lips went numb, and I was out like a light. Woke up in recovery and felt fine. My colonoscopy was clean (it's been nearly 5 years, so I'm due for another one - my dad died of colon cancer, so I have to stay on top of it).

The prep procedure is not particularly pleasant, but not as bad as some make it out to be. You start the afternoon before and drink this stuff that tastes like bitter, salty lemonade. After an hour or two, you visit the bathroom regularly as you flush out your colon. You can eat things like Jello (can't be red Jello) and certain broths, but that's about it. Figure out what you might want to "eat" ahead of time and have it on hand. Once you start the prep, you don't really want to go out shopping. I sipped beef broth. By the time of the procedure, I had invested a lot and just wanted to get it over with.

If they find something, they can often snip it out on the spot. That's a nice perk, I suppose. They now have virtual colonoscopies that are non-invasive, but if they find something, they can't remove it on the spot.

It's really about 24 hours of complete investment, but it's worth it, and really not that bad. I'm not relishing going back, but I will have less fear (I think) compared to the first time.

Good luck. You'll be thankful that you dealt with it.

I've had one. I'm guessing they won't address the hemorrhoid issue while doing the colonoscopy, other than to confirm that you have them. I also have them, and I think the doctor mentioned that in his post-procedure notes. There are surgical ways to deal with them, but I'm guessing most gastro MDs would rather make it a separate issue. The surgical solution is usually reserved for really bad hemorrhoids that don't respond to usual medications and treatments.

As for the colonoscopy, I was very nervous about being knocked out. Some doctors will give you the option of being awake for the procedure if you prefer that. My doctor discouraged that idea when I inquired. He seemed to be more interested in just kind of an assembly line experience. Despite my nervousness about general anesthesia (they used the drug that was administered to Michael Jackson before he died), I agreed and bit the bullet. It was a classic case of once they put the medicine into the IV, I remembered my lips went numb, and I was out like a light. Woke up in recovery and felt fine. My colonoscopy was clean (it's been nearly 5 years, so I'm due for another one - my dad died of colon cancer, so I have to stay on top of it).

The prep procedure is not particularly pleasant, but not as bad as some make it out to be. You start the afternoon before and drink this stuff that tastes like bitter, salty lemonade. After an hour or two, you visit the bathroom regularly as you flush out your colon. You can eat things like Jello (can't be red Jello) and certain broths, but that's about it. Figure out what you might want to "eat" ahead of time and have it on hand. Once you start the prep, you don't really want to go out shopping. I sipped beef broth. By the time of the procedure, I had invested a lot and just wanted to get it over with.

If they find something, they can often snip it out on the spot. That's a nice perk, I suppose. They now have virtual colonoscopies that are non-invasive, but if they find something, they can't remove it on the spot.

It's really about 24 hours of complete investment, but it's worth it, and really not that bad. I'm not relishing going back, but I will have less fear (I think) compared to the first time.

Good luck. You'll be thankful that you dealt with it.

im anxious, you just got great advice.  The propofol has worked well for many people on here, including myself. Good luck, it's no fun but it is such a relief when it's over , Mary :D

I've had several--they're not bad at all.  Take the day off and pick up some books/download some movies to keep you occupied through the prep.  Don't be surprised if it doesn't kick in right away--it will!  As someone else said, it took a few hours to kick in for me, and then sh*t hit the fan (well, not literally, but you get the idea).  The procedure itself is fine; they either put you all the way under or in "twilight."  Either way, you don't remember anything that's going on.  You'll want someone to go with you because you'll wake up a bit groggy and it's not always easy to focus on what they're telling you.  You'll also likely wake up starving, because you don't eat anything the day before other than the prep liquid and broth.  Oh--try to get it scheduled in the early morning so you can get it over with.  If you schedule it for later in the day, it can be hard going without food.

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I forgot to return to check on this thread.

@ im anxious, do your hemorrhoids bother you?  I was told everybody has hemorrhoids, but not everybody has symptoms of hemorrhoids.

We believe the normal function of hemorrhoids is to prevent accidental leakage of stool," said Dr. Syed Husain, a colorectal surgeon at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center. "They are present in everyone, but in some cases they get enlarged, and then they start causing symptoms."

Had I known the Tylenol 3 was going to constipate me back in 2012, I would have prepared in advance by taking a stool softer but that is water under the bridge now.

I do have another question for anyone who might be reading. Do stool softeners work and can you take them long-term? I heard the stool should be soft like a slippery banana.

Thanks again--

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I forgot to return to check on this thread.

@ im anxious, do your hemorrhoids bother you?  I was told everybody has hemorrhoids, but not everybody has symptoms of hemorrhoids.

We believe the normal function of hemorrhoids is to prevent accidental leakage of stool," said Dr. Syed Husain, a colorectal surgeon at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center. "They are present in everyone, but in some cases they get enlarged, and then they start causing symptoms."

Had I known the Tylenol 3 was going to constipate me back in 2012, I would have prepared in advance by taking a stool softer but that is water under the bridge now.

I do have another question for anyone who might be reading. Do stool softeners work and can you take them long-term? I heard the stool should be soft like a slippery banana.

Thanks again--

About every other month I take Miralax, only take it for a week and that helps for awhile, then I use it again. Works pretty well.  Good luck,  Mary :)

I had stool softeners while undergoing chemo, because chemo is really constipating. I was given miralax and senekot. After 2 rounds of chemo I said no more stool softeners. They make your stool soft and formless. Not like a slippery banana, more like cream of wheat. You can't push it out. It just sort of oozes out. And sometimes you don't realize it's oozed out. I had to talk about my poop a lot with nurses - size, shape, amount, color. So I've gotten pretty comfortable with it.

I went with prunes after that. 4 prunes a day was all I needed.

Stool softeners can make you dehydrated and cause electrolyte imbalances so they're not recommended for long term use.

I had a colonoscopy back in July of last year. It went well. They used some kind of anesthesia; nothing like a benzo, I told the doc I was allergic to it :)

I did experience son very minor withdrawal sxs, like a small wave; but it resolved after three days. They found some hemorrhoids; nothing serious. Well, I had battle constipation for sometime; but after some experimenting, I found a very simple solution to my problem. I discovered if drink a cup of 1/2 decaf coffe in the mornings and eat a big Honey Crisp apple in the afternoon, and drink at least 24oz of water (I drink more than throughout the day) I usually go to the bathroom easily (not straining). Sometimes 400mg of magnesium helps at night if my diet hasn't been the best (not enough veggies and natural fiber). I used to do the Miralax route but since I found this routine I don't need it so far.

Good luck!

It depends on the severity of the hemorrhoid. I was told I had a a couple of small ones and you self treat those, but there are larger ones and if they are bleeding. They won't do anything at the time of the colonoscopy unless you have a couple polyps there is a thing on the camera that wraps around the polyp and burns them away. You don't have pain when they do that because there are no nerve endings on the surface. That's what the GI told me.

Now I do know for hemorrhoids that are larger and causing distress and bleeding. One thing they do and I apologize because I don't know the medical term for it...is the band the hemorrhoid (s) it's like a rubber band that they put around them to cut the blood supply off to them so that stops the inflammations and basically kills them off, Now how successful that is whether they reoccur I don't know, but I do know for a fact in talking with the GI that is one of the procedures they use, but mine were two small and I didn't even know I had them. When they are small you just use OTC medications and they go away on there own and don't become a problem unless you have a lot of constipation and do a lot of straining. Which I don't if it is not ready to come out don't force it. Because you can get an anal fissure which is a small cut and from what I was told takes months to heal and is extremely painful. So the GI was very educational when I talked about the hemorrhoids and the solutions and what not to avoid larger ones that are no pun intended " a pain in the ass " I don't know exact situation, but ask the questions and if you have any worries about the procedure. For me the prep of drinking that gallon of stuff that cleans you out the day before...just a suggestion use flushable wipes if you don't already, because toilet paper will start to feel like sand paper when the colon cleansing is taking place... the procedure was worse than the colonoscopy. Hell the colonoscopy was easy, didn't feel thing. Was slightly anesthetized and as I understand you can be awake for it as well because of no nerve endings and I am not sure about why there are no nerve endings on the surface of the colon. I didn't get in to that much detail with the GI. Apparently you only feel it going in, but not moving around. I didn't want any part of just being like sedated and awake during it. I also don't have any interest of seeing my rectum or my colon. I hope that helps a little bit

Peace, Love and Happiness

Hi All,

I'm due for my first Colonoscopy as well. I was told that they put you in "twilight" sleep which means they would probably using Versed. This worries me because it is in the same family as Benzo's. Can this cause a problem if you are still tapering?

Hi All,

I'm due for my first Colonoscopy as well. I was told that they put you in "twilight" sleep which means they would probably using Versed. This worries me because it is in the same family as Benzo's. Can this cause a problem if you are still tapering?

I certainly don't know about everyone, but most of the time I have heard  propofol.  I had no issues at all.  You might ask :)

Hi, no it's not a benzo related drug, you should however ask your Doctor just so your not worried about it. You are asleep a benzo will not do that to you. Unfortunately I don't exactly remember what I was given. I'm guessing it was a low dose of propofol. Because once given good night and the procedure is not very long and I woke up with doctor looking at me smiling and had no hangover from the anesthesia like. Some people don't go out and they do request sedation, but I would think that's more rare common, but as your Doctor and he will assure you. propofol is used because it doesn't have that hang over

sedated feeling when you wake up. I felt normal when I woke up

Good Luck !

David

It depends on the severity of the hemorrhoid. I was told I had a a couple of small ones and you self treat those, but there are larger ones and if they are bleeding. They won't do anything at the time of the colonoscopy unless you have a couple polyps there is a thing on the camera that wraps around the polyp and burns them away. You don't have pain when they do that because there are no nerve endings on the surface. That's what the GI told me.

Now I do know for hemorrhoids that are larger and causing distress and bleeding. One thing they do and I apologize because I don't know the medical term for it...is the band the hemorrhoid (s) it's like a rubber band that they put around them to cut the blood supply off to them so that stops the inflammations and basically kills them off, Now how successful that is whether they reoccur I don't know, but I do know for a fact in talking with the GI that is one of the procedures they use, but mine were two small and I didn't even know I had them. When they are small you just use OTC medications and they go away on there own and don't become a problem unless you have a lot of constipation and do a lot of straining. Which I don't if it is not ready to come out don't force it. Because you can get an anal fissure which is a small cut and from what I was told takes months to heal and is extremely painful. So the GI was very educational when I talked about the hemorrhoids and the solutions and what not to avoid larger ones that are no pun intended " a pain in the ass " I don't know exact situation, but ask the questions and if you have any worries about the procedure. For me the prep of drinking that gallon of stuff that cleans you out the day before...just a suggestion use flushable wipes if you don't already, because toilet paper will start to feel like sand paper when the colon cleansing is taking place... the procedure was worse than the colonoscopy. Hell the colonoscopy was easy, didn't feel thing. Was slightly anesthetized and as I understand you can be awake for it as well because of no nerve endings and I am not sure about why there are no nerve endings on the surface of the colon. I didn't get in to that much detail with the GI. Apparently you only feel it going in, but not moving around. I didn't want any part of just being like sedated and awake during it. I also don't have any interest of seeing my rectum or my colon. I hope that helps a little bit

Peace, Love and Happiness

Big help Davesupport...thanks a lot for the info. :)

[1f...]
Versed/Midazolam is most definitely a benzo anesthesia and is what started my nightmare in 2003. Request propofol.

• 3 weeks later...

Versed/Midazolam is most definitely a benzo anesthesia and is what started my nightmare in 2003. Request propofol.

Thanks--

Hiya Anti B

In the Uk Nhs you pretty much do as you are told!  They now do Computerised Tomography colonoscopy and only proceed to insert the black tube if they see a polyp or to biopsy something.

Agree for you the Propofol — !  I have Midazolam and am fully aware throughout so he shows me a polyp on the screen, snares it and tells me it looks non cancerous. I miss my later diazepam to compensate.

I didn’t think much of the prep.  In the end I took my computer in the loo and played bridge for 4 hours online.

Don’t cheat on the prep, a badly prepared bowel means a redo.

I have mine done privately at a cost of 1200. (Mates rates) and would not expect him to band, laser or inject piles at the same time because he does about ten a morning at 20/30 min intervals and here we don’t even change for the procedure! I pitch up at 6 am and cab home at about 9.

To see clearly they blow in some air which is a bloating feeling. They offer hyosine or buscpan I V if it hurts, I decline as they upset the antidepressants.

I hope that helps.

Re piles.... my bloke says it’s a pain to put up with  them but most return within years after treatment- after all they are just blown up veins-)))

Best wishes

Dick

I am schedule for one in late April I think. I also have developed some very painful hemorrhoids that developed back in 2012 after taking Tylenol 3 for a tooth extraction. It constipated me really bad and I have been struggling on and off since with all the crazy benzo w/d crap. Here is my question? Can they address hemorrhoids when they go in to do the colonoscopy? If you have had a colonoscopy, can you tell me about the experience please? Thank you for sharing.

I had one about 4 years ago and all went well after my prep. the day before. The downside was that the sedation (can't recall which drug they used) didn't work due to my Valium addiction. I was on quite a high dose at the time and they only gave me 3mg sedation, which is nothing.

I felt ok during the procedure itself and just watched the camera travelling through my bowel on the screen while they took the odd biopsy. I had haemorrhoids but they were not mentioned at the time of the procedure. Afterwards the nurse in the recovery room was surprised at how perky I was.

[ed...]

Not a big deal. The difficult part,if you can call it like that, is the 12 Hs while you take the liquid. I had it at 12 PM and it seemed to me was a good time to do it. If you start liquids at 5 PM the day before it allows you to go thru the night with everything almost empty. Then the last liquid shot is about 4 hs before the procedure. So you should be able to have a good night sleep. After the procedure everything is normal.

Don't worry about it. It's a walk in the garden compared to what we go thru benzos...

Regards

Miguel