Should I get a puppy?

[Re...]

I’ve heard that pets can really contribute to overall health and well-being. However I think the responsibility of a new puppy can create stress. Can pet owners weigh in? I’d get a cat but I think my family is allergic...

I had a puppy and can tell you that it is a lot of work and stress. It'd have helped if you already had the dog before the wd but now I'd not get one. 

Hugs,

Mary

Hi, a puppy no, not if you are already stressed out. Because I am a dog rescuer and educated in animal science and have a youtube channel on dog calming...can you believe that ? I can't calm myself, but can calm a dog. I will not promote the channel on here, but a puppy is worse than a baby because you cannot diaper a puppy and they are already walking and getting in to everything it's a lot of work. They are beautiful and worth every minute of raising, but if you are already anxious and stressed it may not be the best idea for you or the puppy. However, dogs are great for health bringing your blood pressure down, unconditional love and loyalty. Maybe try out a young rescue dog that is already house trained and calm that has not been abused, but needs a loving friend as you do. There is nothing wrong with getting an abused rescue dog because they need love and attention and a lot of time to learn to trust you, but in your situation, again may not be the best thing for you or the dog. I actually feel guilty because of my advocacy in abused rescue dogs will make great family members, but they need a lot of time to adjust.

You need the right dog for you and your needs. They will turn in to a rescue dog. They know when your down and when your happy. When your down they will sense it and give you all the more love. They are fabulous for your health. The only problem is I wished they had a longer life span. I think they got the shaft in the animal world when life spans were being passed out.

Peace, love and happiness,

David

I hope this helps

Hi, a puppy no, not if you are already stressed out. Because I am a dog rescuer and educated in animal science and have a youtube channel on dog calming...can you believe that ? I can't calm myself, but can calm a dog. I will not promote the channel on here, but a puppy is worse than a baby because you cannot diaper a puppy and they are already walking and getting in to everything it's a lot of work. They are beautiful and worth every minute of raising, but if you are already anxious and stressed it may not be the best idea for you or the puppy. However, dogs are great for health bringing your blood pressure down, unconditional love and loyalty. Maybe try out a young rescue dog that is already house trained and calm that has not been abused, but needs a loving friend as you do. There is nothing wrong with getting an abused rescue dog because they need love and attention and a lot of time to learn to trust you, but in your situation, again may not be the best thing for you or the dog. I actually feel guilty because of my advocacy in abused rescue dogs will make great family members, but they need a lot of time to adjust.

You need the right dog for you and your needs. They will turn in to a rescue dog. They know when your down and when your happy. When your down they will sense it and give you all the more love. They are fabulous for your health. The only problem is I wished they had a longer life span. I think they got the shaft in the animal world when life spans were being passed out.

David

I hope this helps

Oh, I so agree with that life span statement  :). 🐕🐾🐾🐾🐾.    Mary

Wait until you are healed. At this stage taking on a puppy you will get stressed out and if you suffer any weakness or fatigue you will get run ragged.

I would love to get a dog but the way I feel it is out of the question - too weak, sensitive nerves, very volatile sleep etc. So it will have to wait.

I got a kitten at the end of my taper and it has been great.  I'm not sure about a puppy, since they are a lot more work.  If you have had a dog before, then you would know what you are getting into. 

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with what's been said - do not get a puppy. Have you considered fostering a dog? I think it's a win-win: You can figure out if you can handle one without the commitment.

I’ve heard that pets can really contribute to overall health and well-being. However I think the responsibility of a new puppy can create stress. Can pet owners weigh in? I’d get a cat but I think my family is allergic...

My suggestion,

When in doubt, don't.

I have a cat and I feel like that is too much. Just cleaning up after him is aggravating. The cat disrupts my already disrupted sleep so I get very irritable if I hear a meow before 6am. I'm not the best owner at the moment.

I know I should play "mouse on a string" with him but even that is too much.

Poor kitty.  :-\ 

Honestly, if I could control the wild birds outside my window I would. They are making me mad now that they're all "chirpy" because it's bright and sunny in the mornings. ugh...

Luckily he sleeps 18 hours a day.

Wait until you’re a year out.

I’m 15 months out and just got a goldendoodle (I have allergies to typical shedding dogs).

This goldendoodle has made me the happiest I’ve felt in a long time however.

BUT shes only 8 weeks old so accidents everywhere

[68...]
I got a puppy two years ago and it was extremely stressful and a lot of work.  Had to set my alarm twice during the night to take him outside.  He destroyed a lot of stuff and was generally a huge pain in the ass.  But two years later, he is my best friend and the sweetest little Beagle in the world, so I guess it was all worth it.

My suggestion,

When in doubt, don't.

I have a cat and I feel like that is too much. Just cleaning up after him is aggravating. The cat disrupts my already disrupted sleep so I get very irritable if I hear a meow before 6am. I'm not the best owner at the moment.

I know I should play "mouse on a string" with him but even that is too much.

Poor kitty.  :-\ 

Honestly, if I could control the wild birds outside my window I would. They are making me mad now that they're all "chirpy" because it's bright and sunny in the mornings. ugh...

Luckily he sleeps 18 hours a day.

Your post cracked me up Lol.  The other day I stayed up super late and I heard the birds chirping as I was trying to fall asleep.  They made me mad too! 😆

I’d suggest a grown rescue dog, it would probably do you good. Definitely not a puppy too much work. Dogs are such loving animals.

my parents have a corgi. in withdrawal i realized i had no connection with her. so i started holding her and hugging her and running her and we have a great relationship now and it makes my life better.

i would see if you can find a well behaved dog. maybe a well behaved rescue. look for a corgi they are so great!

I’ve been pet sitting and it’s been good. I get some dog love a few times a week but don’t have the full time responsibility. You might want to try that and if it’s manageable then get a full time dog.

I’ve been pet sitting and it’s been good. I get some dog love a few times a week but don’t have the full time responsibility. You might want to try that and if it’s manageable then get a full time dog.

What a great idea!

David

I hope this helps

Think there are many great posts on this subject.  I was devastated after 2nd lifetime dog passed (vet assisted - on that, feel the timing was exactly right...never understood when I'd hear "you'll just know" until it occurred).  For myself, I wanted a period of mourning, b/c that was just how I felt; not everyone in household felt same way, but relationships are a compromise.  After about 8 months, felt ready to "look" & would only entertain the notion of getting a rescue.  I was taking ativan at the time, but not for anxiety, for pain...so, I had that in the back of my mind, as well & remembered how much work a puppy is.  After many petfinder searches, rescue organization searches & visits to animal shelters, as well as many "dates" from petfinder w/either rescue organizations &/or private adoptions; some falling through w/those being heartbreaking too/not our doing-we persevered & didn't give up).  Eventually, we found our next true love, who was 6 years old @ the time.  She was lovely, housetrained & well-behaved...a joy!!! for many years to come.  She really looked very much like a little red fox, but the white on her puss & face arched over her eyes, like a heart!  I think there would be a lot less pets in rescue if people would truly think this is a relationship that's going to be longlasting,  for a lifetime (or remainder of, if adoped @ middle-age or older).  It's best to think of it as dating & when the right one comes along, you'll know & it'll be wonderful ~ for you & that pet!  :smitten:

She's gone now (R.I.P.) and circumstances are such that another really isn't something I can entertain thoughts of.  I do have a neighbor who has 2 dogs & also fosters rescues (1 @ a time); her dogs know me so well that all she has to do is say "we'll go see...(my name)" & they know & come to my door.  One of them will even bark for me.  I used to be known in my neighborhood as "the dog whisperer".  This lifts my heart w/out the responsibility!  I was outside w/them today for about 2 hours (it was nice out! & I'd had a window)

To good healing & better days to all & to those who can...rescue.  Everything they say is true...a rescued animal does "know".  I'd also suggest working w/one who, if, in the event things don't work out, you return back to them, i.e. Best Friends Animal Santuary in Utah (they have other locations & do perform this service; even in the event if a person passes away, that person should put it in their will & their beneficiary(ies) to contact Best Friends upon their demise.)  :thumbsup::smitten:  ~ I don't know all of their locations; I don't even remember how I became aware of them.  I'm not in Utah; I donate to them.  It was a dream, at one time, to visit their Animal Sanctuary.  They are truly Angels, taking in disabled pets & older pets who people cannot take care of anymore.  It looks to be a vast space w/the animals having excellent care.  https://bestfriends.org/

If you are located in New Jersey, US there's also The Seeing Eye.  You could rescue a Retiree or foster one who's being trained (they assist the blind). https://www.seeingeye.org/