Author Topic: Should I get a puppy?  (Read 666 times)

[Buddie]

Should I get a puppy?
« on: March 18, 2019, 06:17:10 am »
Iíve heard that pets can really contribute to overall health and well-being. However I think the responsibility of a new puppy can create stress. Can pet owners weigh in? Iíd get a cat but I think my family is allergic...
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Should I get a puppy?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 08:43:56 am »
I had a puppy and can tell you that it is a lot of work and stress. It'd have helped if you already had the dog before the wd but now I'd not get one. 

Hugs,
[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Should I get a puppy? You need the right dog for you...
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 08:31:09 pm »
Hi, a puppy no, not if you are already stressed out. Because I am a dog rescuer and educated in animal science and have a youtube channel on dog calming...can you believe that ? I can't calm myself, but can calm a dog. I will not promote the channel on here, but a puppy is worse than a baby because you cannot diaper a puppy and they are already walking and getting in to everything it's a lot of work. They are beautiful and worth every minute of raising, but if you are already anxious and stressed it may not be the best idea for you or the puppy. However, dogs are great for health bringing your blood pressure down, unconditional love and loyalty. Maybe try out a young rescue dog that is already house trained and calm that has not been abused, but needs a loving friend as you do. There is nothing wrong with getting an abused rescue dog because they need love and attention and a lot of time to learn to trust you, but in your situation, again may not be the best thing for you or the dog. I actually feel guilty because of my advocacy in abused rescue dogs will make great family members, but they need a lot of time to adjust.

You need the right dog for you and your needs. They will turn in to a rescue dog. They know when your down and when your happy. When your down they will sense it and give you all the more love. They are fabulous for your health. The only problem is I wished they had a longer life span. I think they got the shaft in the animal world when life spans were being passed out.

Peace, love and happiness,
David
I hope this helps

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 08:42:33 pm »
Hi, a puppy no, not if you are already stressed out. Because I am a dog rescuer and educated in animal science and have a youtube channel on dog calming...can you believe that ? I can't calm myself, but can calm a dog. I will not promote the channel on here, but a puppy is worse than a baby because you cannot diaper a puppy and they are already walking and getting in to everything it's a lot of work. They are beautiful and worth every minute of raising, but if you are already anxious and stressed it may not be the best idea for you or the puppy. However, dogs are great for health bringing your blood pressure down, unconditional love and loyalty. Maybe try out a young rescue dog that is already house trained and calm that has not been abused, but needs a loving friend as you do. There is nothing wrong with getting an abused rescue dog because they need love and attention and a lot of time to learn to trust you, but in your situation, again may not be the best thing for you or the dog. I actually feel guilty because of my advocacy in abused rescue dogs will make great family members, but they need a lot of time to adjust.

You need the right dog for you and your needs. They will turn in to a rescue dog. They know when your down and when your happy. When your down they will sense it and give you all the more love. They are fabulous for your health. The only problem is I wished they had a longer life span. I think they got the shaft in the animal world when life spans were being passed out.

Peace, love and happiness,
David
I hope this helps

Oh, I so agree with that life span statement  :). 🐕🐾🐾🐾🐾.     [...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 11:47:20 am »
Wait until you are healed. At this stage taking on a puppy you will get stressed out and if you suffer any weakness or fatigue you will get run ragged.

I would love to get a dog but the way I feel it is out of the question - too weak, sensitive nerves, very volatile sleep etc. So it will have to wait.

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 02:22:43 pm »
I got a kitten at the end of my taper and it has been great.  I'm not sure about a puppy, since they are a lot more work.  If you have had a dog before, then you would know what you are getting into. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 03:20:38 pm »
Puppy is a lot of work. But maybe an adult or senior dog would be better.
Dogs are great companions. I miss mine.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 03:04:24 am »
I agree with what's been said - do not get a puppy. Have you considered fostering a dog? I think it's a win-win: You can figure out if you can handle one without the commitment.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 06:49:54 pm »
Iíve heard that pets can really contribute to overall health and well-being. However I think the responsibility of a new puppy can create stress. Can pet owners weigh in? Iíd get a cat but I think my family is allergic...

My suggestion,
When in doubt, don't.
I have a cat and I feel like that is too much. Just cleaning up after him is aggravating. The cat disrupts my already disrupted sleep so I get very irritable if I hear a meow before 6am. I'm not the best owner at the moment.
I know I should play "mouse on a string" with him but even that is too much.
Poor kitty.  :-\ 
Honestly, if I could control the wild birds outside my window I would. They are making me mad now that they're all "chirpy" because it's bright and sunny in the mornings. ugh...

Luckily he sleeps 18 hours a day.

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 01:13:10 pm »
Wait until youíre a year out.
Iím 15 months out and just got a goldendoodle (I have allergies to typical shedding dogs).
This goldendoodle has made me the happiest Iíve felt in a long time however.
BUT shes only 8 weeks old so accidents everywhere