Wine

[Iw...]

I am not a drinker generally but I used tio like a glass of wine years ago. Lately I have thought I would like a taste of wine. Today it was beautiful out and we went to an outdoor cafe. I had a small glass of riesling. I feel like my withdrawal symptoms settled down a bit. Much more relaxed. has anybody experienced this sense of calm with a bit of wine?

No I haven't.  The clinical director of my residential program said a few sips of red wine are healthy. I have only had a few sips and would never have more. I like a few tastes but nothing more.

Please be really careful when it comes to alcohol. I keep reading on this forum that it can cause major setbacks. You may be OK with small amounts, but in my opinion it’s not worth the risk.  Best to avoid alcohol, caffeine and sugar.  I personally may not ever drink again!  Happy healing to you ...

I’m at the end of my taper, five more days to jump. I had a small glass of prosseco last Saturday and it gave me tachycardia, I had to take a propranolol, and have felt lousy the last two days.

No I haven't.  The clinical director of my residential program said a few sips of red wine are healthy. I have only had a few sips and would never have more. I like a few tastes but nothing more.

Well unfortunately the clinical director is misinformed. Yes, red wine has some health benefits for those that have not had their CNS fried by psych drugs. Alcohol affects the Gabba receptors similiar to benzodiazepines and it is strongly advised to avoid alcohol until you are well and truly healed. Some say 6 mths and some say 2 years after you have completely healed, not just finished taper but completely healed.

So this is probably why you felt relaxed, like the effects of swallowing a benzo?

PSVT,

It sure looks that way for me.

When I was in the middle of my taper a glass of prosseco was fine, but now with the tachycardia I can’t touch alcohol. I want to take 10 milligrams of propranolol only when it is absolutely necessary, I’ve only taken it this once. All this symptoms are very tiresome.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
I drink wine, no issues. It actually help me reduce my Benzo by 50 percent....and I eat heatlhy, and I eat sugar and drink coffee. zero issues.

yep. It's a tool in my tool bag. If a cut was hard, I sip on it. I don't drink it like I would when I was normal, pre-taper. I just sip it to take the edge off the first day or two after a bad cut. Then I strictly take it away. I use it because I know it hits the gaba.. the same place we are affected by benzos. Some people say it messes them up but it actually is useful occasionally to me personally...not to be depended on regularly...as it does act on the same receptors in the brain as our benzos do.