Short term first time user wanting to go cold turkey.

[Sw...]

I'd like to preface this with saying I made a very poor decision and there will be some head shaking going on while reading my story.  I feel incredibly stupid about what I did and hope I learned.

I had a good friend traveling to another country where Benzos are available over the counter.  She knew my struggles with what I think is mild anxiety and we had talked about me going to a doctor to talk about it for years. Something I could never bring myself to do.  She brought me back 15 x .5mg alprazolam and 20 x 10mg diazepam.  I did very little research on dosage online.  I mostly used these sporadically when I was having a rough day and the relief was amazing. It felt like I could get over any hump.  So over the course of about 15 days I went through the alprazolam.  Sometimes two or three days without any while other days I would take 1 mg throughout the day split into 4 doses.  When that ran out used 9 of the 10mg diazepam over the course of another 14 days 20mg in one day a couple times and a few 2/3 day breaks without.

So with 11 x 10mg diazepam left I thought wow this stuff is nice and helping me and I would rather live my life feeling like I had a tool to help cope with my issues.  That's when I started doing research. It was horror story after horror story.  I can't believe how many stories I read about patients going to their doctors wanting to taper off and the doctors wanting to give more!  I have no interest in having these pills in my life now.  It has been 28 hours since I last used the diazepam and that was a dose of 20mg.  Feeling super on edge but I'm wondering if that is just nerves thinking I have an oncoming storm.

So I just wanted to get that out there and see if any of you fine folks had any advice.  I think my dosage was on the lower side and wasn't using them for to long.  I don't know about affects of using the two different types one after another but have read sometimes the type of benzo will be switched when a taper is happening.  And after 14 days maybe the alprazolam is out of my system.  I have 9 diazepam left which would mean a quick taper if I went that route but I'm hoping I can come through this just stopping since I wasn't using super heavy or for a very long period.  I know I made some stupid and poor choices I just want to learn from them.  Thank you for reading.

Hi..

Just see how it goes... -Which ever way you feel is best... There is no point in stressing about terrible WDs that may, or may not happen...  If in doubt, -you could throw a quick little taper in there with what you have left... 

Sadly there are no set rules... Some have used very short term and had problems (both CT, and slow taper)..  While other long term users have quit with little issue...

I think its encouraging that you say the benzos worked as expected... -lets hope that cessation goes well too...

Best wishes...

:)

If it were me in your shoes I would do a “mini taper” of 3-5 days starting with 5mg of d. Then break it in half and reduce 1/4 of the 5 mg tab each day. But you have already stopped for 3 days now so i would see how it goes first. Dont even read the short term horror stories on this site because those are extrememly rare. I have been in your shoes several times ie kicking a short term habit along with several of my friends and acquaintances and none of them have ever had an experience of a long drawn out wd from short term use like you read on this site. Be prepared to be extra nervous and uncomfortable for upwards to a week with eventually your normal everyday anxiety being all thats left. Its good you realised how bad these things are before you got on them long term. Then ud be in trouble. Good luck.

Thank you both for your kind and encouraging words. Reading to much into the stories I feel is really what got me on edge.  But I'm not entirely sure if it was a mixture of a little withdrawal as well.  Anyways it went well and aside from your mentioned nervousness and generally being uncomfortable. I'm feeling mostly back at a baseline of just general mild anxiety.  I by no means want to diminish from people's experiences and struggles getting off this stuff but I do feel very fortunate to have had a pretty easy go at it.  Thank you again.

Thank you both for your kind and encouraging words. Reading to much into the stories I feel is really what got me on edge.  But I'm not entirely sure if it was a mixture of a little withdrawal as well.  Anyways it went well and aside from your mentioned nervousness and generally being uncomfortable. I'm feeling mostly back at a baseline of just general mild anxiety.  I by no means want to diminish from people's experiences and struggles getting off this stuff but I do feel very fortunate to have had a pretty easy go at it.  Thank you again.

Good for you!! :smitten:

Sorry Sweet, -I havnt been on for a bit...

-But yes, Thats always good to hear..!! I hope things continue to go fairly well..

Perhaps be a little gentle on your CNS for a while, there may be some healing going on in the background after the noticeable SX abate...?

All the best...

Hi Mary..

🐸

Sorry Sweet, -I havnt been on for a bit...

-But yes, Thats always good to hear..!! I hope things continue to go fairly well..

Perhaps be a little gentle on your CNS for a while, there may be some healing going on in the background after the noticeable SX abate...?

All the best...

Hi Mary..

🐸

Hi my fabulous turtle, always miss you 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢.      💚💚💚💚💚💚💚

I agree with Windwalker. Do a mini taper. You were not on benzos a long time, and should have NO problems getting off of them now. The only real danger of benzo WD is seizures and they happen only very rarely.

I can relate to how you felt. Yes, you felt relief using these powerful drugs. But it is a relief that comes with a huge price that no one told you about. That is why BB exists. I am glad you found us.

Yes a mini taper very short should it. You be fine in less than week. Just stay away from all benzos for as long as you can go in life. And live life as you know how. Good luck to you Sweet :thumbsup:

I also want to do a cold turkey. I'm down from 1MG K to .5mg in a week. And doing fine. I plan on rapid taper or CT very quickly with Seroquel also. I know the risks. I quit Ambien 10mg CT 2 weeks ago and feel better with what I have left to do. I know the majority of people withdrawal have little to some issues for up to a few weeks. And I wrote Dr. Ashton about it. Her reply was quote " I was right that 1/3 of people who take benzos continues at moderate to high dosages after 6 months go through withdraw". Otherwise the majority are not on support forums like BB. Maybe only the worse 3-5% of millions on these drugs. This should be reassuring Sweet. Good luck.