Author Topic: PTSD Club  (Read 4641 times)

[Buddie]

Re: PTSD Club
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 04:51:47 pm »
Does anyone know if being paranoid, suspicious and thinking people are out to get you is part of PTSD?

My understanding of CPTSD from reading Pete Walkers book is that when triggered we go into flight, fight, freeze or fawn or a combination of any of those.  The paranoid, suspiciousness of others sounds like flight?  I hope this little tidbit of information helps you understand your condition a little better.

I was reading this list of common symptoms and it does include distrust of others.  This gives me hope.  https://themighty.com/2019/03/habits-living-with-complex-ptsd/

I'm keeping this link bookmarked.  Thank you.  :thumbsup:

I was triggered yesterday by a man's lashing out at someone near me, coming from his own state of insecurity and paranoia. This threw me back to childhood because my Dad was like this.  Accusing people of being horrible towards him but really they just made  a mistake and it was totally innocent on their part.  I wasn't aware of this being one of my triggers until this happened.  I can piece my childhood story back together by watching my strong emotional reactions to things that happen in present day, I don't remember my childhood.  I went into freeze mode yesterday as I often do.  It seems to me like my Dad must have had CPTSD also but was mostly in fight mode.

One breath at a time [...].   :therethere:
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 05:08:43 pm »
[...]- I feel like I am just like your Dad was.  I am constantly thinking people are being mean to me when they make a mistake.  It feels so much like everyone is so mean, especially to me. It's like I am a victim all the time. 
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 06:24:15 pm »
thank you dear [...] x

your hug brought me to tears  :'(

'freeze' must be my mode too - body parts physically freezing up, joint by joint, limb by limb.

the benzos have targeted this weakness for 2.5 yrs.

even recent 37mg Valium did not 'relax' me at all -- just made me weaker + even more tension.

i believe weak, atrophied muscles / joints get especially tense, to try to stabilize your body. so i guess there's that too.

desperate to strengthen, but benzos rebound any attempt w/ more stiffness. 

back on odd dose of both K + V again... trying to counter the K tension / V weakness .... but cannot find a balance.

sorry to ramble... just meant to say thanks  :-[

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 06:31:24 pm »
I have felt like everyoneís out to get me, or trick me, or swindle me. I think, ďWhat do they want from me?Ē with almost every interaction with a stranger. That was cranked up when I was in inter dose w/d and compounded over the years.  Thatís probably bc I feel like Iíve been taken advantage of a lot growing up and even into my adulthood.  It could just as easily be that others are being mean to me but I donít feel like Iíve been threatened in that way compared to being taken advantage of. Lots of similarities here. I donít like feeling this way all the time. Now that Iím off, Iím starting to feel more confident and not so threatened but itís still there.

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 07:28:53 pm »
I was reading this list of common symptoms and it does include distrust of others.  This gives me hope.  https://themighty.com/2019/03/habits-living-with-complex-ptsd/

[...]-  Your description about the trauma always being present according to the brain is spot on.

Thank you green cup.  :)

Clearly something that I had thought of as falling on the acute side was still considered chronic in nature. Iíve been through one too many episodes that qualify for either acute or chronic.

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 07:57:12 pm »
We are and will be resilient my fellow PTSDers.

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2019, 06:52:55 pm »
For those recovered enough from benzo's to concentrate and learn, I came across this audiobook on youtube which I'm listening to and wanted to share here.

Healing Trauma ... Peter Levine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9zJjxp-Rgs

:)

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 11:51:55 pm »
[...] - don't ever lose hope....believe in yourself and the healing process.  I know it's hard to do when things seem the most dismal.   :smitten:

Thank you everyone posting here and starting this thread.  So informative.  And comforting to know we're not alone in this part of the recovery process.

Like you said, Annie - how many people and situations keep coming around that are like the original abuse.  Sometimes I feel like a giant strip of fly paper for the same situations over and over!  It's good to be more aware now.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:56:19 am by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2019, 12:05:23 am »
A giant strip of fly paper...great analogy. Lol.  :laugh:

But itís so true [...]. And yes, now we are more aware.  :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2019, 01:47:28 am »
[...] - don't ever lose hope....believe in yourself and the healing process.  I know it's hard to do when things seem the most dismal.   :smitten:

Thank you everyone posting here and starting this thread.  So informative.  And comforting to know where not alone in this part of the recovery process.

Like you said, Annie - how many people and situations keep coming around that are like the original abuse.  Sometimes I feel like a giant strip of fly paper for the same situations over and over!  It's good to be more aware now.

Thank you, I just had a moment, after a super day; so thank you.