Baclofen

[So...]

My doctor suggested Baclofen can help with sleep, anxiety and w/d s/x. It works on GABA-B (not GABA-A) so it's not a Benzo.

Anyone have any experience?

I have read it does need to be tapered which is a red flag but some relief and sleep while micro-tapering this low dose (2.16mg) of Valium would be great.

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

SoberHope,

Did you receive any info on Baclofen?  I CT off of it in December, also and I’m wondering if that has added to my WD?  If not, I’d like to take it again.

Took Baclofen 3 years, was told by pain Mgmt doc and pharmacist that no taper was needed.

SS

I was given this for severe dystonia caused by WD. It caused severe hyperacusis and terror and altered perception none of which has resolved since  and caused me to plan my funeral and reinstate on diazepam.

I took Baclofen for 3 years 10 mg x 2 daily.  I quit it CT (doc and pharmacist said to not taper) in January during acute wd. I don’t know if it added to WD :(  I was thinking I would take it again for muscle spasms in my feet.

I’m afraid of all meds.  Took Tylenol today, didn’t bother me.

Thank you.

SaraSue

Hi,

According to this article, "Caution should be exercised when reducing or stopping long term baclofen treatment. The Committee on Safety of Medicines recommends tapering the dose over 1-2 weeks, or more slowly if symptoms occur."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1121408/

Ten weeks ago, I started a DLMT from Baclofen (25mg/day), Tizanidine (6 mg/day), and Clonazepam (2 mg/day) that were in divided doses and prescribed for spasticity. The taper is going well with just a few holds on Baclofen and Tizanidine. I'm down to Baclofen (4.9 mg/day), Tizandine (0.86 mg/day), and Clonazepam (0.8286 mg/day). There is some increased neck and shoulder spasticity, but I manage it with a heating pad and rest or sleep.

I'm not as sedated and my cognition is much improved. I'm waking up earlier than before, but a nap allows me to make up for any sleep deficit.

In the future, I might use a low dose of Baclofen or Tizanidine as rescue medication for spasticty, but I never want to return to daily use.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you!

Starlight

Physicians and Pharmacists are so not informed!!  Just stop it, they said.  I don’t know if muscle spasms are result of Baclofen CT or benzo CT or both!  Tylenol is all I take!

Reinstatement eased muscle  issues but terror got worse and no other symptoms resolved but I only went back on half my dose.