Looking for Buddies - LT High dose Xanax direct taper 1/2 way there!

[Lo...]

I am only taking alprazolam, b12 and folic acid.  I have been getting this rash petechiae/purpura for the last three months on and off.  Just on my arms.  I think it may be happening due to sun exposure.  Checking with my Dr. for sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [to...]

• [Di...]

• [Lo...]

• [se...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I am only taking alprazolam, b12 and folic acid.  I have been getting this rash petechiae/purpura for the last three months on and off.  Just on my arms.  I think it may be happening due to sun exposure.  Checking with my Dr. for sure.

Hello - SeaSalt - did you ever find out what is going on with the rash?  Hope you are doing better.

Hugs,

Julia

I have a question for others tapering xanax. When you cut do you take your dose off of all the doses or just one dose? I've always just cut it off of one of my daily doses. My brain can't do anything more complicated.  My doc thinks that's why my withdrawals are tough. Just wondering what others have done?

I have done both. It changes. Sometimes just cutting the last dose worked, but not great.  Currently doing a micro taper, so cutting all doses equal.

I don't think mix dosages make the wd any worse or better. It's the level of wd we are in.Our bodies are calmest in the evening, so we don't usually need as much medication (hence that's a good dose to cut if your just doing 1.) Our mornings are awful, and our body is in the most distress, hence, some people make dose 1 a bit bigger. That has never worked for me.

Xanax has to be the weirdest poison there is. I noticed a long time ago that every dose is different, even when they are identical.  I don't know if that's just me, but there is never any confidence in reliability when I take my dose. Morning doses almost always suck, because of morning anxiety, doses doesn't matter much.

If you want to go with uniform doses, it's worth a shot . As to the math, ask for help. The math is the hardest issue for most of us.

I have a question for others tapering xanax. When you cut do you take your dose off of all the doses or just one dose? I've always just cut it off of one of my daily doses. My brain can't do anything more complicated.  My doc thinks that's why my withdrawals are tough. Just wondering what others have done?

Hi - I usually cut from one of my doses and then the next cut from one of the other 3 doses.  At this point my 2nd, 3rd and 4th doses are the same and the first dose of the day is the highest since it has been hours since I have had a dose.  When I do my next cut, I am not sure how I am going to do it because I know that first dose of the day is what I need to get it back in my system.  I want to cut from the first dose but will have to think about it long and hard before I do it. 

I have read on BB that some people say taking all even doses is a good thing because you are getting the same consistent dose all day but it is hard to do it when you are micro tapering which is what I am doing. 

This cut has been a little harder (cut this past Sunday) but I have had a lot going on and have been under a lot of stress this week as my husband had surgery yesterday and I am dealing with that.  Worrying about the outcome of that all week has been hard for me.  He is doing better now but yesterday and last night were pretty bad.  I was pretty scared a couple times yesterday afternoon and evening.  So, I have been anxious this week anyway.  I am not having bad symptoms but I am pretty anxious.

Like everyone here, all we can do is try things and figure out what works best.  This has got to be the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with and I have dealt with alot of things in my life that were rough and painful.

Xanax is the worst drug to manage and get off of.  I hate that I was put on it and trusted what I was told to do to take it. 

We will all get through this.  I do believe that!!

Hugs,

Julia

I totally feel you! I am microtapering as are you, and some cuts are OK, others are horrible. It just goes to show how nonlinear the process is.

When I am in a wave (like now) making dose 1 bigger than the others does not help at all. It feels like my body hates the xanax, and I have to be patient.  It really feels like I am taking poison every time I dose when these waves hit.

I just made a cut 2 days ago like you, and this one is horrible. How on earth dose it make sense to reduce by such a minute amount and get slammed.

Anyway, as hard as it is, I have to proceed by logic and what is best for my healing. Not by how I feel. I know my body was ready for a cut, so I made it. And it hurts. The physical symptoms are horrible, and the anxiety and panic are bad. Typical wave. The anxiety is so bad, as you mentioned. I have to really use self control to accept it, and not start panicking that the medication is not working.

If we updosed  everytime we got a wave, we would not get anywhere. Plus for me, my body was starting to paradox on the previous cut, so I knew I had to make another one.

We will get there. Lets keep in touch and compare notes. I am new to microtapering, and would like to see the wave cycles of someone else doing the same thing. Might get a pattern, might not.

We will get through this, as you said.

Patience, acceptance.

I totally feel you! I am microtapering as are you, and some cuts are OK, others are horrible. It just goes to show how nonlinear the process is.

When I am in a wave (like now) making dose 1 bigger than the others does not help at all. It feels like my body hates the xanax, and I have to be patient.  It really feels like I am taking poison every time I dose when these waves hit.

I just made a cut 2 days ago like you, and this one is horrible. How on earth dose it make sense to reduce by such a minute amount and get slammed.

Anyway, as hard as it is, I have to proceed by logic and what is best for my healing. Not by how I feel. I know my body was ready for a cut, so I made it. And it hurts. The physical symptoms are horrible, and the anxiety and panic are bad. Typical wave. The anxiety is so bad, as you mentioned. I have to really use self control to accept it, and not start panicking that the medication is not working.

If we updosed  everytime we got a wave, we would not get anywhere. Plus for me, my body was starting to paradox on the previous cut, so I knew I had to make another one.

We will get there. Lets keep in touch and compare notes. I am new to microtapering, and would like to see the wave cycles of someone else doing the same thing. Might get a pattern, might not.

We will get through this, as you said.

Patience, acceptance.

Hi Baddove - I agree too that some cuts are ok and some are horrible.  At the beginning I was making .25 mg cuts once a month.  I would cut the whole .25 instead of cutting twice a month and I can tell you that was HARD!  There were so many days I would have to lay down every single day for a couple to 3 hours to try to feel better.  Sometimes it helped and sometimes it did not.

Since I started making my cuts smaller, it has been better but some cuts are harder.  When I went from 1.125 down to 1.0, it took me a couple months to be able to do it.  I could not figure it out.  I would go down to 1.0 mg and it would be so hard and I would have such horrible anxiety and my chest would hurt and that did not help my anxiety.  I kept going back in forth with the dose and finally one day I decided I would just deal with the WD and so I did and it was like when I absolutely would not updose to 1.125 mg, my brain accepted it and I went on from there. 

Then I started making my cuts smaller and more often and that has worked pretty well.  I do have days that are better than others and up until the last couple days and today, it was manageable.  Right now, my head hurts, my ears feel like I am on an airplane, and the anxiety is strong.  Part of it is more because of my husband's situation but I knew Sunday night this cut was different than the last 2.  If I am not better in a couple days, I may have to go between doses for a week or two like I did before. 

If we updosed  everytime we got a wave, we would not get anywhere.  I agree - I would have been on more than I was when I started tapering if I did that.  :)

I will add you to my buddies on here and yes, lets keep in touch!  It would be nice to have another friend here on Xanax that understands how hard it is to get off the Xanax.  Poison is what I call it.  That is what it feels like.  It has no therapeutic value to me now and has not for quite some time.  It does nothing for my anxiety and only causes me WD and that makes me angry sometimes but I just try to stay as positive as I can.

Will be so happy when this long, hard, painful journey is over.  I look forward to when I am off and healed.

Hugs,

Julia

• 4 weeks later...

In the meantime, can I send you another newbie?  We can work together on this by watching for newbies looking for Xanax taper help on the Taper Board and linking them to this support group.

I'm going to send Bproof over to this thread for support, okay?  Taper help is fairly brief, support is important and ongoing.

Hi there I  could use help with a Xanax taper....plus I'm a newbie

Hey there, sorry I have not ben on in awhile, have had alot going on.  How are you?  did the doctor find out what is going on with you?  I hope you are doing well.

Hugs,

Julia

Welcome Dudley do-right - welcome!  We are more than willing to help a newbie - or an old timer.  Let us know how you are and where you are on your taper.  :) :)

In the meantime, can I send you another newbie?  We can work together on this by watching for newbies looking for Xanax taper help on the Taper Board and linking them to this support group.

I'm going to send Bproof over to this thread for support, okay?  Taper help is fairly brief, support is important and ongoing.

Hi there I  could use help with a Xanax taper....plus I'm a newbie

Welcome Dudley.  How can we help?

Julia, Dr. says blood work is normal, she is referring me to a hematologist.  The strange thing is it has seemed to resolve (nothing in the last 30 days).  Dr diagnosed me with hypothyroidism and is checking levels in December.  This could explain why I am having difficulty dosing down.  Thank you for inquiring..

Julia, Dr. says blood work is normal, she is referring me to a hematologist.  The strange thing is it has seemed to resolve (nothing in the last 30 days).  Dr diagnosed me with hypothyroidism and is checking levels in December.  This could explain why I am having difficulty dosing down.  Thank you for inquiring..

Hi seasalt52, I am glad have not had the issue lately.  That's great!  Hypothyroidism could in fact be hindering your taper. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hugs,

Julia

No word from lori in 5 months? I have been following her for a couple of years wishing her well

Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know that Lori is doing ok.  She is taking a break from BB for a bit.  She is doing good.  I had communication with her about 3 weeks ago and she was doing well with all that she has had going on.

She is the one i connected with quickly when I started on here almost 2 years ago and she has helped me a lot.

Just wanted to give a FYI. 

Julia

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to say hi and check in on everyone.  I am doing well right now.  I did a cut today and I am now down to .75 mg from the 3.5-4 mg a day I was on when I started this long journey.  January 11th will be 2 years since I started tapering.  I am very proud I have gotten to this point and will keep going forward but it is awesome to see the end is closer than it has been all this time.  It has been painful, emotionally and physically but so far I have made it though.  I am making micro cuts so that is helping.  It will take longer this way but I am hoping and praying it will make a huge difference when I get to the end and jump. 

Thank everyone for the encouragement and support so far.  Without BB I would probably be dead, and I am serious about that!  My husband has been my biggest supporter and I am so thankful to God for him and thankful to God for all the people on this site that have been there for me.  Sometimes just reading other peoples stories and post is all I need to make it through another day.  Also helping others here when I can makes me feel better.  That is why we are here - to help one another.

I also wanted to say to everyone that I know this is hard as hell and I wanted to let people know, getting off this drug (and others) can be done.  It takes time, prayers, patience and an incredible will to get through the rough times to make it to the other side but we can do it.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Love and hugs,

Julia

There is nothing as difficult, terrifying, life trashing and painful as benzo wd. For me anyway, even tapering is extreme at this point (been in a wave a few months)

Anyway, I am sure you dealt with those same issues.

Much congrats on what you have accomplished!

I hope the remaining taper is not difficult.

:smitten:

There is nothing as difficult, terrifying, life trashing and painful as benzo wd. For me anyway, even tapering is extreme at this point (been in a wave a few months)    I totally agree.  This is the HARDEST thing I have ever had to go through!  I hate it and I hate that I trusted doctors that put me in the position that I have been in for 3 years plus..

Anyway, I am sure you dealt with those same issues.  Yes I have.  Some days and weeks are harder than others but they are ALL hard and painful in a number of ways.

Much congrats on what you have accomplished!  Thank you very much!

I hope the remaining taper is not difficult.  I hope so too but I do think it will get harder the further down in dose I go.  Hopefully it won't but I think it will be rough getting below .50.  We will see.

Maybe the way I am doing this will be what works for me and it won't be a nightmare.

:smitten:

I am so sorry you are in a wave and have been for awhile now.  I know it has got to be discouraging but I believe it will get better for you.

Love and hugs,

Julia  :smitten: :smitten:

Prednisone did a number on me early on, it took forever to come out of it.  The good news is you will!!! Hang in there, we are all here for you!

Prednisone did a number on me early on, it took forever to come out of it.  The good news is you will!!! Hang in there, we are all here for you!

When I started in withdrawal from being cold turkeyed off Xanax, I became allergic to prednisone.  Doctors tried me on it 3 times and I had allergic reactions to it each time so i am no longer able to take that.  Which is scary since it is a good medicine if you have something that requires quick acting results.

Hi everyone,  I hope you all are hanging in there and hope you're having good days. 

I made a cut on 11/08/2020 and within 3 days started having horrible withdrawal.  I had to lay down every day and my stomach had been hurting 24/7.  I just felt terrible.  My anxiety was bad and I could not figure out why.

By Friday night I just was so perplexed as to why a cut of .0625 would make me feel so bad.  I went to bed and lay there trying to understand what was going on.  I have had these symptoms before but with bigger cuts.  I fill my pill box for the week on Saturdays and for some reason as I lay there trying to figure out what was going on - I thought to myself - maybe I need to check my pill box and make sure I am taking the right dose.  Well - it was very upsetting but I saw I had messed up my second dose which is what I was cutting from.  Instead of cutting .0625 I had cut .125  DOUBLE - Damn it!!!  That may not seem like a lot but for me, very sensitive, it was.  I was so upset with myself I just cried.  Cog Fog still has a hold on me sometimes!

So then there came the dilemma - should I go up to the correct cut amount or just keep going.  I decided since it had already been 6 days, I would stay at the dose I had accidentally went to.  It has been 10 days now and I am doing some better.  My stomach is better but still hurts for a few hours a day and I find that between the time I get up until after I take my second dose of the day, I still do not feel good but at least I am not feeling horrible.  My anxiety has subsided some since I know what was the cause to my feeling so bad.

I am amazed how Xanax still has such a hold on my brain even though I have gone from 3.5 - 4 mg a day to .6875.  Looking at that number, it does not even look right to me.  But that is what it is.  I am happy to be this far along.  It has been almost 2 years on this taper and I never thought at the beginning it would take this long.  I thought maybe 6-8 months - how wrong I was.  I have been blessed with a very supportive and encouraging husband who tells me all the time I am doing great, to keep going and before long I will off this drug. I know he lives with this every day too.  I am also blessed to have BB and the many people who have been there for me and sometimes just reading what others post helps me to make it another day.  I am at the point where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and so encouraged by this that it makes it easier to deal with feeling like crap at times.  I know not to go too fast and to not rush things as I do not want to go backwards and have to deal with alot of the things I have had to deal with the last 4 years now.  I also know to double check my pill box once I have filled it for the week too.  :)  It is kind of ironic too - I keep a calendar/diary each day of each dose and what time I take that dose and when I looked at that - I had wrote down the dose I actually started taking by mistake - maybe it was what I was supposed to do but did not think I could do.  I do not know.....

I know this drug is powerful and mean and  causes so much pain and sadness and does not want me to succeed but I will!!!  It has already taken too much of my joy and my life and health !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for reading.  I just wanted to share what has been going on with me and also hope my experience may help someone else.

Love and hugs!!!

Julia

Julia, you are doing great!  I am only able to cut 2.5 percent per month. I am down to .375.  I am literally crawling compared to you.  This is a great success for you, even though it was rough.  Can’t wait to “gently” walk off this stuff.  I have muscle spasms under my ribs constantly and now severe joint and muscle pain at night.  Tonight my ears are ringing and my body is vibrating.  Anxiety off and on all day today.  Cutting again Sunday, dreading it..

Julia, you are doing great!  I am only able to cut 2.5 percent per month. I am down to .375.  I am literally crawling compared to you.  This is a great success for you, even though it was rough.  Can’t wait to “gently” walk off this stuff.  I have muscle spasms under my ribs constantly and now severe joint and muscle pain at night.  Tonight my ears are ringing and my body is vibrating.  Anxiety off and on all day today.  Cutting again Sunday, dreading it..

Hi seasalt52,

Thank you !!  Sorry I have not responded quicker, I have not been feeling well!!  This cut has me going up and down.  I feel better for a couple days and then BAM, its rough again.  I will be so glad when I am stable again, but of course, it will be time to cut again.  I understand your dreading a cut.  I can relate.  It is SOOOOO  hard!!!! 

Did you make your cut?  If so, how are you doing?  I have started having muscle aches and my left leg on the outside, keeps hurting at night and subsides during the day!  I am not sure if its from tapering or something else.  I have learned that not everything, but mostly is, is from the taper or the Xanax.

Just to let you know, if you don't already, my therapist told me a couple months ago that the Xanax causes anxiety too.  She said it really is crazy how people are put on this for anxiety but once you have too much of a dose or are tapering off of it, it can give you alot of anxiety.  I think that is what goes on with me. 

I really hope you are doing better.  Keep me posted.

I hope everyone is hanging in there and has a good Thanksgiving.  We will be staying home and as always, social distancing.  We are high risk and do not go out unless it is absolutely necessary.  We only go to the store or doctor.

Take care!!!

Love and Hugs,

Julia

Hi again,  I meant to asked you, how long have you been on Xanax and what was the highest dose you were on?