Author Topic: Looking for Buddies - LT High dose Xanax direct taper 1/2 way there!  (Read 13564 times)

[Buddie]

Hello all! I decided to start a new thread to replace the "It's me again, ...." and the "Dry Cutting Looking for Buddies" threads.   Last year we had a very supportive group on those threads but quite a few have since completed their taper - and I'm happy to report that they are doing very well! Translated: there's hope for the rest of us!  :thumbsup: Unfortunately, some others seemed to have dropped off for various reasons. 

At the moment, I'm still doing cut and hold method.  Once I get to 1 mg, I may entertain LTM but for now, I'm hanging in there with what I know. Crossing over to Valium is not an option for me. 

I am hoping that others who are going through a long term prescribed use of Xanax can chime in on this journey.  As you'[...] see in my signature, my highest dose was 6 mgs.  Currently, I'm on my first day of 1.5 and hoping for the best!  Fingers crossed! 

Hope to find some old buddies I've lost touch with as well as some new buddies to continue this journey! 

Fondly,
[...]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:43:48 am by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

best wishes! :)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

best wishes! :)

Hi FI!

I have to ask... after such a long taper and going pretty far down, what made you updose to 1.0 again?  I hope all is okay. 

[...]

[Buddie]

Hi [...]. No t long term but tapering off low dose Xanax.
You'd think at my dose this wouldn't even be a thing but it is.

You have come such a long way - that's awesome.
People like you inspire me and keep me going slow and steady every day.  :)

[Buddie]

[...],

I'm doing ok, thanks.

I tried to w/d only because my doctor suggested that I give it a try. I believe he suggested that I give it a try due to pressures exerted from groups outside of the medical community. My doctor has subsequently agreed with me that I should not continue a benzo taper or w/d protocol at this time.

I decided to up-dose because:

a) tapering caused my cognition and physical abilities to be compromised to the degree that I was no longer able to provide the support system to which my friends & family were accustomed and depend upon.

b) tapering caused my quality of life to deteriorate to such an extent that my life was no longer enjoyable or acceptable for me.

c) based upon my research, I don't believe my symptoms will improve for the foreseeable future if I continue down the path of w/d & cessation. However, I remain hopeful that science will someday provide better treatments for symptoms of iatrogenic damages caused by benzos.

and

d) I have never suffered from paradoxical effects from benzos (knock wood). 

[Buddie]

I'm tapering xanax. It was going pretty well till last weekend. I updosed to one quarter of a 0.5 mg tablet on Sunday and Monday, and all my sumptoms disappeared. So I'm trying to stabilize on 0.125mg for a bit. I have a weeklong trip to Paris in 3 weeks. I was to be hoping to be done with all this by the time of my Paris trip, but that seems out of the question now. So maybe I'[...] just hold at a quarter of a pill per day.

[Buddie]

I'm tapering xanax. It was going pretty well till last weekend. I updosed to one quarter of a 0.5 mg tablet on Sunday and Monday, and all my sumptoms disappeared. So I'm trying to stabilize on 0.125mg for a bit. I have a weeklong trip to Paris in 3 weeks. I was to be hoping to be done with all this by the time of my Paris trip, but that seems out of the question now. So maybe I'[...] just hold at a quarter of a pill per day.

Hang in there!  You're doing soooo well!  Be proud of your accomplishments and don't focus on a minor set back.  You got this!  Will say a prayer for you.  I totally understand what you mean about having had hope to be done with this.  Last year I truly thought I'd be finished by now.  My son is studying abroad in London this semester and my husband and sister-in-law are visiting him in Ireland next month.  I won't be joining them.  My heart is broken over it.  I just don't see how I can possible do it.  My son is my world and to be missing this time with him is devastating! 

Again, hang in there!  You're doing so well!

Fondly,
[...]

[Buddie]

[...],

I'm doing ok, thanks.

I tried to w/d only because my doctor suggested that I give it a try. I believe he suggested that I give it a try due to pressures exerted from groups outside of the medical community. My doctor has subsequently agreed with me that I should not continue a benzo taper or w/d protocol at this time.

I decided to up-dose because:

a) tapering caused my cognition and physical abilities to be compromised to the degree that I was no longer able to provide the support system to which my friends & family were accustomed and depend upon.

b) tapering caused my quality of life to deteriorate to such an extent that my life was no longer enjoyable or acceptable for me.

c) based upon my research, I don't believe my symptoms will improve for the foreseeable future if I continue down the path of w/d & cessation. However, I remain hopeful that science will someday provide better treatments for symptoms of iatrogenic damages caused by benzos.

and

d) I have never suffered from paradoxical effects from benzos (knock wood).

So sorry to hear but you know your body and limitations better than anyone!  Hang in there!  You'[...] do this when you're ready.  Zero judgment here!  Just glad that you're okay! 

Keep in touch.

Best to you!
[...]

[Buddie]

Hang in there!  You're doing soooo well!  Be proud of your accomplishments and don't focus on a minor set back.  You got this!  Will say a prayer for you.  I totally understand what you mean about having had hope to be done with this.  Last year I truly thought I'd be finished by now.  My son is studying abroad in London this semester and my husband and sister-in-law are visiting him in Ireland next month.  I won't be joining them.  My heart is broken over it.  I just don't see how I can possible do it.  My son is my world and to be missing this time with him is devastating! 

Again, hang in there!  You're doing so well!

Fondly,
[...]

Oh thank you dear [...]. That's too bad about your trip to Europe. I'm totally dreading my trip to Paris, but too late, tickets are bought and hotel reservations made! "dreading my trip to Paris" sounds so ridiculous. but it's true! I can see why you wouldn't take a trip to Europe, but it still sucks to make that decision.

[Buddie]

Hi [...],

I wish you all the best with your taper. You are down a lot already.

So sorry about you missing the trip.

I went overseas to see my son. I slipped in the rain forest and cut my knee on a rock. The whole leg was infected the next day. I almost lost it and spent Christmas in the hospital overseas and New Year's in the hospital stateside. Knee is okay now thankfully.

LA