Positive thinking is helping immensely.

[Ho...]

I’ll be 70 in December, I’ve been too involved with this process and I need to get out of my head, it’s not a good place to be in, at this moment. Too many doctor visits, that just make me feel worse.Thanks for the advice.

Demelza

I have a really great YouTube teaching series from a neuroscientist that is on point with what you are saying.  Would you like the link? It's very incredible and talks about how to overcome that negative thinking, etc.  It's awesome.   

Yes RR..I would love the link!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9UtL9_2jZA

Sending you the first one... there are four altogether.  :thumbsup:

Raquel this is an amazing video. It gives me hope.

Your post really spoke to me. I was in a dark place and had forgotten how to be positive.  I am 65 and I know what you are saying is true. I will make a real effort today to think about how good it will feel to be well. And that our time here is precious.  Right now I am flooded with adrenaline and cortisol. I am on the panic train and am desperately trying to keep from going off the rails. I think I will be reading and rereading your post. Thank you!

I have a really great YouTube teaching series from a neuroscientist that is on point with what you are saying.  Would you like the link? It's very incredible and talks about how to overcome that negative thinking, etc.  It's awesome.   

Yeah!!! Did you see the next three under #1? If not let me know and I'll link them here.  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Just found this thread and I am loving it. I am a very positive person by nature and I'm trying to gravitate more towards those things that will uplift and give me hope. I can't seem to access God these days which makes me sad but I know it's my damaged brain. So now I press on and I try to rebuild.  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...
This is a great thread!! I am going to watch the video. I def believe doing and thinking more positive things help do much. If you are around positive tjings and ppl it tends to rub off on.you.

I have always tended to be positive (critical for kindergarten/first grade teachers, certainly) but the intensity of withdrawal and length of recovery was a gigantic challenge to positivity. 

Acceptance of the process took some time.  It required me to make some big changes in perception (i.e., this IS going to take more time than I, aging, but healthy, want to accept...and, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot I can do about it except wait it out) but made a world of difference.  Did it make me heal faster? Maybe or maybe not, no way to know and I’m not going to do it again to test the theory, that’s for damn sure.

But it’ll make the recovery time easier...for you and your family and friends.

Being informed, understanding the physical process and its mental/emotional manifestations will go a long way towards acceptance and acceptance will lead to a more positive outlook overall.

Hopeforrecovery you are quite literally a Godsend. I have gone down the rabbit hole of negativity lately and it is crippling me! You shook me by the shoulders metaphorically and made me think. I am 65 and you make so much sense. I am at 5 mg of Valium. Do you mind if I pm you sometime?

Before I got off benzos I thought negatively, and it does seem if the benzos may have caused some of that. During my ugly wd, I sensed (dimly!) I should start faking it. Faking it really means forcing yourself to think positively no matter how awful you feel. You have to make yourself feel positively for this to help you. I did this constantly during the e+ years it took me to fully heal and at the end of that time. I WAS much more positive! I find this utterly amazing, that we can control how we feel, as long as we put some effort into. Experts will tell you in confusing terms that you are re-training your brain, but in the end, what matters is you do feel so much better. And that is a great thing to learn, going through benzo wd.

Fake it til you make it, people. It really does work.

I have always tended to be positive (critical for kindergarten/first grade teachers, certainly) but the intensity of withdrawal and length of recovery was a gigantic challenge to positivity. 

Acceptance of the process took some time.  It required me to make some big changes in perception (i.e., this IS going to take more time than I, aging, but healthy, want to accept...and, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot I can do about it except wait it out) but made a world of difference.  Did it make me heal faster? Maybe or maybe not, no way to know and I’m not going to do it again to test the theory, that’s for damn sure.

But it’ll make the recovery time easier...for you and your family and friends.

Being informed, understanding the physical process and its mental/emotional manifestations will go a long way towards acceptance and acceptance will lead to a more positive outlook overall.

Great point. Acceptance is key, as well as distraction.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I've heard of Caroline Leaf. I think Andrew Wommack was talking about her.

I just have to post something positive. The forum seems a little negative today.

Went to visit my mom for a few days.  She is 88yrs old and doing well. I am 58yrs...and could have 30 more if my genetics are shared as much as I hope they are.  I think this perspective is a good one.  It's all been worth it even if I only have one more year.  Having a good day (after suffering for a couple after the trip.)  Healing is happening....even when we are in  pain.

Keep the Faith everybody.

• 1 month later...
Just came across this thread and it’s such a refreshing thread on here. We do need more of this stuff on here to support and boost each other up. I’ve been in the rabbit hole lately too and could really use more positivity. Will be rereading this.

Following

I've never been good at faking anything - (mostly for anyone else who feels "lame" at "acting")

But what worked (in the past) it taking the positive ACTION (regardless of my wimpy whiney "feels") and rinse, repeat - eventually I did feel more positive. Time takes time.

Now I needa go try DOING some of that...

Kind thoughts

TC

• 2 months later...

Yeah!!! Did you see the next three under #1? If not let me know and I'll link them here.  :thumbsup:

Yah... I'm so glad!!!  :smitten: :smitten: :thumbsup::smitten:

[f5...]
Thanks for bumping this thread - it gave me the opportunity to watch that video and I love what the speaker had to say, how she said it, etc. It's inspiring and gives hope. I especially like how she pointed out that "the mind is separate from the brain". Despite the very real changes to our brains and side effects caused by these medications, how we (our minds) react and decide to cope can make a difference. Sometimes that difference, as small as is might seem, over time can give us the strength we didn't know we had to make it through the worst.    :thumbsup:

Thanks for bumping this thread - it gave me the opportunity to watch that video and I love what the speaker had to say, how she said it, etc. It's inspiring and gives hope. I especially like how she pointed out that "the mind is separate from the brain". Despite the very real changes to our brains and side effects caused by these medications, how we (our minds) react and decide to cope can make a difference. Sometimes that difference, as small as is might seem, over time can give us the strength we didn't know we had to make it through the worst.    :thumbsup:

Thanks for this paragraph. I'm in deep need of reading this today.

[f5...]

You're welcome. I'm glad it can help in any way. Honestly if what I wrote made you feel even a bit better, I really recommend checking out that video. Regardless of your religious beliefs, the speaker - Dr. Caroline Leaf - delves into the science and benefits neuroplasticity can afford us in a much more comprehensive way than I ever could. It's also very uplifting imo.

Best wishes :smitten:

CL

I am well known on BB as the "queen of faking it." People,over the years, have made fun of me for this, but I really do not care. I found out - the hard way - that "faking it truly works. I will put this is different words. I went through a cold turkey from hell. Thirty years of nightly benzos, in doses you cannot even imagine. Even I, an RN of thirty 6 years, cannot quite believe how much benzos I took most nights, for what I thought was intractable insomnia.

If you ever saw the TV shows "House" or Nurse Jackie":, you know my story.

Faking it: in other words, you have to "fake" being more optimistic than you really feel. At first this wont come easily. It will feel silly and - just fake. But over time and with practice, you do have the power to change bow you see your world,. This stuff really does work. I used to be a negative person, always expecting the worst. But I also was on benzos then. The two things go hand in hand. Benzos are negative drugs, and they train your brain to BE negative.

Okay.

You get off benzos. Withdrawal ensues, and that may be very difficult. Benzo wd produces so many weird symptoms. It is easy to assume you have gone insane. But you haven't. You are simply in benzo wd, with tons of weird symptoms going on all of the time.

People on BB tell you to try this or that, in order to relieve your misery. Some suggest slow deep belly breathing. GOOD  idea, and do try this. Some will tell you to mentally picture a different life, one you hope you might have. Good idea. Some will tell you to distract yourself: excellent idea. A few will tell you to fake it. On first thought that seems fakey and silly. But perhaps you read a post from someone  like me, who did this with excellent results.

Faking it can be the very best weapon you will have, fighting too get off benzos. My old therapist told me about this, and back then, I blew her off as "New Age" nonsense. But she was so right. Fairly early in my cold turkey wd, I  sort of remembered what she had said. I started to do this. I felt so silly at first. I felt totally ridiculous, telling my crazy self I would heal from this. Back then, I was insane, with so many withdrawal symptoms going on all at the same time. I existed. I was not really alive.  I had no hope of ever living a decent life again. I only lived on a hope and a prayer. When I found BB, and read stuff here, I had no way of knowing if it was all the truth,. I hoped it was, but I didn't really know.

I struggled on and on, with horrible symptoms going on all the time.

Sometime in all this, I vaguely recalled my old therapist telling me about faking it. I started doing this, first by writing my negative thoughts on paper, and reversing them with a pen. That small act felt fakey as hell, but I figured I had nothing to lose by doing this. So I kept doing this, day after day. I slowly began doing this on BB. BB was my only rock in a hard place. I depended on BB to guide mw through benzo wd.

Over time, my faking it began  to feel  true and real. I just kept doing this, no matter how awful I felt. And believe me, a cold turkey off s thirty year addiction to benzos was simply awful. Almost beyond belief.

But faking it for a log time did something really wonderful. I slowly became more positive. This became a real part of who I am now, off benzos and SSRIs.

God, I am so glad I went through this.

east

I'm  so thrilled so many were helped by my thread.  I was gone because I was blocked on everything for posting things that had anything to do with God.  So I could not reply to anyone last year in March, 2019.  Then I had a heart attack because I was so upset.  Thank God it was a mild heart attack.  So I was off for several months and lost touch with a lot of friends.

I hope I don't get kicked off again for saying this.  Now I'm afraid of saying anything in here anymore as a result.  I mainly stick to Faith Based Support for now just to stay safe. 

But I'm so glad what I did share helped others.  And I'll be honest, it's really helping me a great deal as I taper day by day.  It gets me through the worst symptoms.  It really does work.

Thanks to all who shared in this thread that it has encouraged and helped you, that was my reason for sharing.

Blessings to you all and WE WILL WIN and we WILL HEAL and we WILL RECOVER!

Kimmie

Hello Hopeforrecovery,

Just to point out, your ability to post to the forum was restricted for a while because, even after warnings, you habitually posted proselytizing comments on the forum boards. You were instructed (via PM) to take such comments to the Faith board, which you ignored. Additionally, you then posted publicly to complain about the warning PMs only reminding you of the forum rules in this regard. Further, you were never 'blocked'. Rather, you were placed on 'pre-moderation' for some time, where your posts were queued for approval by a moderator before they were published.

I hope we are not going to go around in circles again over these matters.

The community rules:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=212997.0