Melatonin = sleep paralysis and no sleep

[Go...]

I haven’t slept much in over a week due to a wave from stress. In a desperate attempt to get sleep because I’ve developed neuropathy from lack of, I tried melatonin tonight. .75mg created sleep paralysis where my body felt like it was being crushed and I could not move. Brain was wide awake and I was able to still talk. Now I have a migraine and it’s 3am.

I don’t know what to do. I’m off since fall 2017 and because of this am considering reinstating a benzo or getting another psych med. I’m absolutely traumatized at this point and I am losing control over my body. I had been symptom free for much of Jan and Feb. hit a huge wave because of stress from work, my partner having surgery, aggravated symptoms from a new couch being delivered and the chemical smell of it, and a tornado (I have ptsd from hurricanes which is why partially that I got on benzos in the first place).

I really don’t know what to do anymore.

Hi GWT, I’m sorry you are going through this, it sounds very difficult. About a year ago my symptoms were so overwhelming I also strongly considered reinstating. Fortunately, my fear of kindling kept me from doing so and today I am so much better.  If you can hold out please do. Remember, reinstating the benzo may not bring you the relief you need and eventually you will have to withdraw again. I took Buspar for 5 months. It helped me a lot and I had no withdrawal symptoms when I stopped.  It’s best to go med free, but if you can’t make it through without help, Buspar may be  a better alternative than reinstating.

My town got hit hard by Hurricane Harvey, so I know what you mean about PTSD from hurricanes.  I’m going through something similar. This past November I had a major setback at 14 months due to stress, and I am still stuck in this crummy setback. I had been doing pretty well before this mess. It is extremely frustrating. I have been repeatedly  going three to four days without sleep. Sometimes it’s hard to believe this is still withdrawal, but I don’t know whatelse would be causing insomnia this extreme. It’s really tempting to reinstate but I really don’t want to go through this hell all over again.

Hang in there it’s bound to get better sooner or later.

Jump on the net and research possible natural solutions. Melatonin is NOT a drug its a hormone and affects everyone differently due to Your own physiology and circumstance. People tend to take way too much and it can give some people a hangover feeling. It can help some to fall asleep but in My case it did not seem to keep Me asleep as it is assimilated and broken down rapidly. The net is Your answer.

• 4 weeks later...
I have just posted questions about both CBD Oil and Magnesium.  I took Melatonin for a week and the first two days it relaxed me and helped me sleep....I was cutting the 1 Mg pills in half and took both halves separately once a night.  On the third day both of my legs became paralyzed and I had difficulty breathing and then the last few days horrible digestive issues.  I am undergoing extreme stress as I am an elderly widow and losing my home of 25 years...I took Valium/Diazepam off and on for 40 years and have been Benzo free for 3 1/2 years.  The stress I am going through has made my symptoms worse and along with panic I have insomnia.  I see that someone said Buspar helped, I have been afraid to try it as so many things make Benzo withdrawal worse.  I am also looking into CBD Oil and Magnesium.

• 1 month later...

Jump on the net and research possible natural solutions. Melatonin is NOT a drug its a hormone and affects everyone differently due to Your own physiology and circumstance. People tend to take way too much and it can give some people a hangover feeling. It can help some to fall asleep but in My case it did not seem to keep Me asleep as it is assimilated and broken down rapidly. The net is Your answer.

She said she only took .75 mgs. That is like a super small dose. The smallest tabs come in 1 mg doses.