Depakote increases Gaba

[32...]

[32...]

According to the method of action Depakote increases gaba in the brain. I thought that was the last thing we needed. Why would my doctor put me on this for post acute if I’m not bi  polar ?

Any advice please?

[32...]

They said it is what they use for benzo PAWS... This is interesting.. Click the link.

A ROLE FOR VALPROATE IN THE TREATMENT OF SEDATIVE–HYPNOTIC WITHDRAWAL AND FOR RELAPSE PREVENTION

John T. Harris  John D. Roache  Joseph E. Thornton

Alcohol and Alcoholism, Volume 35, Issue 4, 1 July 2000, Pages 319–323, https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/35.4.319

Published: 01 July 2000  Article history

Split View PDF Cite 

Permissions

search filtersearch input

Abstract

In the human central nervous system, the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) type A receptor complex undergoes changes with both acute and chronic exposure to sedative–hypnotic drugs. These changes contribute to both the acute effects of these drugs as well as the chronic effects of sedative–hypnotic dependence, withdrawal, and drug craving. Clinically these chronic effects are difficult to treat in patients dependent on ethanol or benzodiazepines. Valproate may return the GABA type A receptor function to a state more closely resembling its normal function. By this mechanism, it is possible to reduce the symptoms of sedative–hypnotic withdrawal and relapse.

• 1 month later...
My doctor tried to put me on it as well. But bc benzo’s enhance the action of GABA I would think that our brains have been depleted of this neurotransmitter. Don’t think it would really help to make any changes to the brains natural method of action, especially in regards to GABA production. Really don’t trust these doctor’s anymore, I refuse to take any more medications that have such a drastic effect on my CNS or brains normal way of functioning.

Doctors think that they are doing their duty by prescribing drugs because that's all they have. On paper it's considered a good thing. But not for benzo people with a damaged CNS. Please be very wary of any drug a doctor prescribes, and be sure to read up on it here. Many people on BB have been put on Depakote: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?action=search2

I'd forget about reading scholarly abstracts. You can't trust that they're impartial, for one thing, and learning from people who actually took it is better, I feel. it's always good to remember that you're going to have to taper this drug also.