Liquid taper help

[GV...]

Can anybody tell me in a simple way how to taper off .5 klonopin. I want to try liquid taper.

Dissolve 5mg K in 10ml vodka or propylene glycol, and add 40ml water.  You will have 50ml (approx a 10-12 day supply) .1mg per ml.  Store at room  temp in a glass jar with a lid.

Let's say you want to taper 5% every 14 days:

.5mg X 5% = .025mg

.025mg/14 days = .0018mg per day reduction  Round up to .002

Schedule:

.5mg                          5ml

.498mg                      4.98ml

.496mg                      4.96ml

.494mg                      4.94ml

Just lower your dose by .02ml (.002mg) each day.

Thanks. But i just dont understand that. I cant drink alcohol at all. Can you please simplify??

1)  I didn't suggest you should drink alcohol, I suggested you use it as a solvent to convert your tablets to liquid (BTW, that's how pharma mfgrs create thousands fo liquid med, including at least one liquid benzo)  Based on your current dose, the max amount of vodka you would ever take would be 1ml  That's .03ozs (.012 ozs actual alcohol) , and it would decline each day.

2)  But if that really bothers you, use PG.

3)  The calculation is your starting dose X a reduction %, and divided by 14 days to calculate the amount you would cut each day.

The chart shows your doses each day, both in milligrams and milliters.  You really don't need to understand it, you just take that amount each day, and then you will be tapering by 5% every 2 weeks.

Can you please tell me how much liquid to use for like one day? How much for 0.5 klonopin. How much would i take out in liquid?

You don't "take out" anything, you just follow the schedule.

The amount you drink the first day is 5ml, the 2nd day, 4.98ml, the 3rd day, 4.96ml, etc..

I have been watching theses DLMT posts carefully as I am about to begin a taper myself.  I understand this method is not a reduce a ml a day, toss and drink the rest as I have seen elsewhere.  What I do not understand is how you measure .98 ml, .96 ml, etc.  I have only seen syringes that have 1 ml increments.  Are there others that allow you to draw up that precise amounts of liquid?

I have been watching theses DLMT posts carefully as I am about to begin a taper myself.  I understand this method is not a reduce a ml a day, toss and drink the rest as I have seen elsewhere.  What I do not understand is how you measure .98 ml, .96 ml, etc.  I have only seen syringes that have 1 ml increments.  Are there others that allow you to draw up that precise amounts of liquid?

A 1ml syringe will either have 50 graduations (.02ml) or 100 graduations (.01ml).  And either will really work just as well, if your really feel you need to measure to the .01ml precision, .01 is simply the space between the .02 lines.

And the whole concept of a DLMT is NOT to do precise, accurate dose reductions, its to do gradual dose reductions.  If there are minor variations in measurement from day to day, it won't matter.  The other advantage a using dilute liquid is it dramatically reduces the error factor.  If you make a measurement error of .01ml, its only .001mgs.  You will never be effected by a .001mg error.

BTW, the tablets you have always taken probably varied 10% or more from tablet to tablet.

@[bu...]

You have simplified that so well for me. Can you help me with my Xanax. I'm currently dry cuting and I'm roughly at .37 mg divided up 3 times a day. I need to do the liquid tapering because my doses are getting small but I need help with the math. My pills come in .5 mg

Thanks

@builder

You have simplified that so well for me. Can you help me with my Xanax. I'm currently dry cuting and I'm roughly at .37 mg divided up 3 times a day. I need to do the liquid tapering because my doses are getting small but I need help with the math. My pills come in .5 mg

Thanks

Combine 4mgs (8 tablets) + 8ml vodka + 32 mls water.  That gives you 40mls solution, .1mg per ml. Approx a 10-12 day supply.  Store at room temp in glass jar with a lid.

From the info in your siggy, you have done a really fast taper.  I'm going to give you a slower plan, but you can increase the pace if you want.

.37mg X 10% = .037mg

.037mg/15 days = .0026 mg/day reduction (Round up to .003mg/day)

Schedule:

.37mg                    3.7ml

.367mg                  3.67ml

.364mg                  3.64ml

.361mg                  3.61ml

etc......  just lower your dose by .03ml (.003mg) each day.

The easiest way to divide/measure 3 mini-doses is 1)  draw the full days dose and put it in a measuring cup. 2)  Top that up to 1 full cup with water (or juice, or whatever) and 3) drink 1/3 cup for each dose.

By making a 1.mg=1ml solution, you really eliminate any "math"  You just move the decimal to convert back and forth from mgs to mls.

Ok i understand now that this is a different form of what ive seen elsewhere. Can you do this from scratch everyday? With one pill? How much solution would i add to one .5 pill? Please.

Can I use any kind of alcohol? I have rum here don't have any vodka. 😔

Any beverage alcohol, 80 proof or higher, will work.

Ok i understand now that this is a different form of what ive seen elsewhere. Can you do this from scratch everyday? With one pill? How much solution would i add to one .5 pill? Please.

One more time...you need 2mls vodka for 1mg of benzo.  So to dissolve .5mg, you need 1ml vodka.

I'm sure you've watched the silly videos on youtube where they make a fresh batch each day (or each dose) take out part of it, and drink the rest.  Would you take any other med that way?

Why would you want to make a new batch each day (each dose?) then throw part of it away?  Think about your liquid benzo the same way you would think about any other liquid med.  You would just measure out the scheduled dose and take it at the appropriate time. Suppose your doc gave a scrip for a liquid med and the dosing instructions were: " Take 10 tsp the first day, then reduce dose by 1 tsp each day."  Thats a daily liquid taper.

Yes you can dissolve .5mg in 1ml of vodka and add 4ml water, then throw part of it away.  It will work.  It's also inefficient, labor-intensive, and wasteful.

But folks should follow whatever protocol they feel comfortable with.

Thanks for for your help. I just dont get the math. Im going to read over a couple of times see if i can understand it.......

Thanks for for your help. I just dont get the math. Im going to read over a couple of times see if i can understand it.......

The "math" to calculate the cut for each day is really  no different than the math to calculate the dose for each day.

To schedule the daily cut, you keep adding the amount, to schedule the daily dose, you just subtract the amount.

Thanks once again........i hope i can get this right. So confused.......

I know I was confused at first but read what builder wrote me about how to taper off. Sure there are videos out there that you take out the meds and waste it but why do that if you don't have to. Even though our goal is to ultimately be off of this horrible medicine why waste it unless we have to. I did this last night with rum instead of vodka. Ill have to say I added more water to my final dose to dilute the alcohol taste if you will and it was pretty nasty so tonight when I make tomorrow's doses I will not add much water to it and try to just down it fast as I can and follow with a chaser lol...other than that this is easier than I anticipated.

Ok.....thanks. every time i try doing this is so stressful. I just dont get how to do it. Once again i want to taper from .5 klonopin. Anybody??

Ok.....thanks. every time i try doing this is so stressful. I just dont get how to do it. Once again i want to taper from .5 klonopin. Anybody??

I'm new at this and also was so confused, so I know where you're coming from.  Here are two links, one for Benzodiazepine Liquid Taper Help and the second one is the Benzodiazepine Taper Plan.  The plan figures out all the numbers for you which is so much simpler. I use whole milk for my taper.

http://benzo.alwaysdata.net/titration/titrationHelp.htm?help=Help

http://benzo.alwaysdata.net/titration/titrationForm.php

After you look it over, let me know if I can help you and I will do my best to do so. 

Thanks for your help. Im going to look at it right now. I will let you know. Once again. Thank you so much.

You are very welcome!  Yes, just whole milk. Here is what I was told about the milk before I started the tapering ...

There isn't really any science to back up the milk method, but it works for a lot of people. The idea is that, since the drug is fat soluble, the drug will bind to the fat molecules in the milk, which are fairly evenly distributed. All benzos are somewhat fat soluble, though oxazepam is one of the least fat soluble of them.

Even though my drug is one of the least fat soluble (as stated above), milk is working for me.  I didn't want to do alcohol or PG, but had the milk not worked, I was going to try Ora-Plus as a suspension vehicle, but I didn't need to. 

With your drug having a long half-life, you might not even get any symptoms and I hope you don't.  I've read that the benzos with a longer half life sometimes are a bit easier to taper.

I hope this helps to get you going. If you need help with what parameters to put in the plan, let me know.  I surely did and thanks to wavesontheshore for her help in getting me going in my confusion. 

All the best ...

Ok after reading your information ,,,over and over. Finally makes sense. I understand it. How long according to your schedule would it take me to get off this medication?