Dosage equivalency between ativan and valium?

[jo...]

For those of you that have followed me, I am in the middle of a c/o from ativan to valium and then start a taper. I am using the Ashton Manual for dosage equivalencies, which states 1 mg of ativan = 10 mg of valium.  After two weeks of the c/o, the sedation of the valium was becoming a problem. I started at 1.75 mg of ativan and am down to .5 mg ativan-12.5 mg valium, which according to Ashton means adding another 5 mg valium to complete the c/o.

After I posted this problem looking for help, another very helpful member (which I am grateful) gave me a link to a conversion calculator which showed a much lower dose of valium was equal to the ativan (1.75mg A=14mg V). After my reaction to the valium, this made sense. I done further research on the web only to find several conversion tables with varying information. Depending on the web sites, 1 mg of ativan = anywhere between 5-10 mg of valium.  As you can see this is a large variance and could lead to probable s/x.

Does anyone else have any experience or feedback on these conversions, or does one just have to experiment and see what works for them?  If that is the case, this is a spooky situation. Thanks to all who have listened and have helped with their responses.

Hi jojodancer,

As you're unfortunately discovering, there aren't exact benzo conversion equivalencies universally agreed upon by experts.  This was another reason I quickly aborted my V c/o and decided to stick with A.

Kaiser Permanente just came out with their Benzodiazepine Guideline and you can see their conversions on page 11 have 5mg V = .5-1mg A:

https://wa.kaiserpermanente.org/static/pdf/public/guidelines/benzo-zdrug.pdf

As you mention, you could experiment within the conversion range to find a V dosage that works for you or you could drop V and revert back to A to do a direct taper.

I really wish this could be easier.  Hopefully other buddies will chime in with other suggestions.

xo,

sierra  :smitten:

Thanks Sierra and Mice. 

I am so far along into this c/o I hate to stop now and revert back. I only have about another week to be fully crossed over, but going back is still an option. It amazes me that in the world of advanced medical knowledge we live in there is not a more accurate conversion table of pharmaceuticals. I work at a college and next week begins our Spring Break, so this will give me a week off work to experiment further.

I would like to hear from other long term ativan users who successfully crossed over to valium. What were your original doses-conversions and how long did it take you to c/o? What were your experiences during these cross overs?

Thanks to everyone out there. We may be on different benzos, but we all have similar stories and questions about this nerve racking process. Congrats to those that have success and understanding to those who are lost and still have questions. :smitten: