Klonopin and Xanax to phenobarbital and Librium- very successful

[Ro...]

I went to timberline knolls, a residential treatment facility for co-occurring disorders, includzing substances. I was on about 3-4mgs of Xanax or klonopin (depending on what I could get my hands on) per day for the last 6 years or so. I once quit cold turkey, which was horrific and lasted maybe 4 months. Anyways, the amazing doctor at the facility, Elenna Boddie, tapered me off by first using barbiturates and letting them build up in my system. They have a much longer half-life than benzodiazepines. They also act on the brain in the same ways as benzos. Towards the end they used a bit of Librium. The taper went from January 7th until February 8th. I thought for certain it would be excruciating and near impossible. I was waiting for the seizures and sleepless nights. I figured I could try or resign myself to being an addict forever. Guess what? I was fine. I am fine. I didn’t even notice a difference. I’m not saying I have a miracle doctor or a miracle taper schedule, but I am saying that my body was fine. I think it does some of us a disservice to hear that a 30 day taper can’t work or will be hellacious. I was a raging addict and went to the facility on 5 Xanax bars. I had a 6 year long habit. I’ve had 6 seizures trying to quit. If I can do this, if my body allows it, then maybe yours might too.