6 months ugh

[Fa...]

Well tomorrow marks 6 months Benzo free. I don’t know what to think. I don’t frequent the site as much because the long recovery stories made me anxious. I’m actually in a wave now which started with my cycle 2 weeks ago then came dizziness then a panic attack a week ago. This has been the worst wave yet since acute. This wave is unstable blood pressure, dizziness/lightheadedness, and fear. I really believe my fear and doing this alone drives a lot of my anxiety and stress. I finally went back to work driving then came the panic attack...ugh so I’m temporarily out again.  I was still having daily anxiety but was coping very well. The nerve pain has finally started lifting and only happens once in awhile,  which is one my last symptoms. Now I’m left with anxiety,(head pressure, dizziness, headaches some days) mild neck pain, mild bloat only with some foods. My sleep is better as long as I go to bed on time. Im hoping this 5 month wave is the last! I am back to hanging out when not in a wave. Still no alcohol, caffeine, or supplements. Small amounts of sugar. I just get so scared of getting worse even though I know it’s rare and doesn’t happen to most.

A little more about me for those who try to compare.. First off no 2 stories are alike. Benzos for 6 year. First 3 years .5mg Xanax 30day prescription lasted entire year. 2 years and 9 months .5mg 4-5 times a week at bedtime. Last 2 1/2 months up to 1mg 5-7 times a week at night. Never took more thanks once a day. No health problems except hernias and gallbladder removal. No illegal drug use. Alcohol sometimes but not with Benzos. Ambien once every blue moon in 2014 not with Benzos.

Faith,

You are right; this is just a bad wave and it will pass. You are doing everything right. Waves have to be ridden until they die down. Hang on tight and don't give up! You are doing very well. I am amazed you tried to work. That is a huge accomplishment even if it didn't last.

I always tell people NOT to compare. Everyone heals differently. Comparing yourself can lead to even more worry and anxiety.

I have been off benzos and ADs for almost 7 years now. My own WD was truly awful but I did survive it. None of it was easy, it was all step by step, praying for relief the whole time. There is something about benzo WD that just feels SO lonely, SO scary, and you do not know why. BWD has to be endured, because there is nothing one can do to hurry it.

Good for you for hanging on. Be proud of this, Faith!

east

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Faith driven- Congratulations on your six months on being Benzo Free!  After reading your post I was curious about Ambien & how it may be affecting you & your healing, I found some info that may surprise you: Called a “z-drug” after the active ingredient zolpidem, brand-name Ambien is a prescription sleep aid that is classified as a sedative-hypnotic drug, similar in action to benzodiazepines,

Ambien is meant to be taken to help with difficulties falling and staying asleep, but only as a short-term solution. Regular and long-term use of Ambien can cause the brain to become dependent on the drug and stop producing GABA in healthy levels without it. When a dependence has formed, withdrawal symptoms may occur when the drug isn’t present in the bloodstream. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reports the following as potential side effects of Ambien withdrawal: flushing, nausea, lightheadedness, crying uncontrollably, sleep difficulties, nervousness, vomiting, abdominal cramps and pain, and panic attacks.

The Indian Journal of Pharmacology publishes that zolpidem withdrawal symptoms generally begin within 48 hours of stopping the drug. Since Ambien withdrawal may be similar to that of benzodiazepine drugs, it may also follow the withdrawal syndrome for these drugs.

So, not sure but it sounds like some of the reason you still having issues, especially with sleep may be that your actually having interdose withdrawal. (Interdose withdrawal, where withdrawal symptoms emerge in between scheduled doses, is common in people who take BZs sporadically or who take BZs with a short half-life.)  Just wanted to share with you, hope it helps!