Valium sedation while transitioning?

[jo...]

I am 3/4 way through my c/o from ativan to valium in order to begin taper. Each week when I increase my dose of valium and decrease my ativan, the sedation from the valium also increases. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so how long did the sedation last? I am afraid by the time I have totally c/o to all valium, the sedation will be so bad that I will be a walking zombie at work.  I am currently at 12.5 mg of valium and still have to increase another 5 mg to finish c/o.  Any words of encouragement?

Valium is definitely more sedating than other benzos.  I was on both Xanax and Klonopin, and Valium was far and away the most sedating of all three.  One thing to be sure of is that you are crossing over to the correct dose of Valium.  I crossed from 1mg Xanax

to 20mg Valium, and that was way too high for me (benzo equivalence has a fairly big margin of error) so I immediately cut to 15mg

(at 20mg my head was in the soup). 

Thanks gogo,

I am trying to cross from 1.75 mg of ativan 3 TID to 17.5 mg of valium 3 TID.  That being 1 mg of ativan equal to 10 mg of valium per Ashton Manual.  Instead of 17.5 mg of valium, I am going to shoot for 15 mg of valium by the end of the c/o. After 7 years of taking ativan, with little to no sedation, there is no doubt these two drugs have different effects on the body. Hopefully, when I start my taper from the valium the sedation effects will ease a bit. I hope there are others out there that have adjusted to the valium sedation effects soon after their c/o. I hate to think I will feel zonked the entire duration of the taper.

You shouldn't (and I didn't).  You should also start to feel more alert as you taper down on Valium.  If you use this benzo calculator, the crossover equivalence of 1.75mg Ativan is 13mg Valium, with a range of between 4.4 and 18mg (as I said, a huge margin of error, so you'll have to experiment a bit): https://clincalc.com/Benzodiazepine/.  That might be why you're feeling drowsy, though--if you're taking 17.5mg, you might still be a bit high.

I am 3/4 way through my c/o from ativan to valium in order to begin taper. Each week when I increase my dose of valium and decrease my ativan, the sedation from the valium also increases. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so how long did the sedation last? I am afraid by the time I have totally c/o to all valium, the sedation will be so bad that I will be a walking zombie at work.  I am currently at 12.5 mg of valium and still have to increase another 5 mg to finish c/o.  Any words of encouragement?

My sedation sounds just like yours, I fully crossed over and couldn't stand it.  I had to lower the valium and add back in some xanax.  Even that was rough, quite a few people told me, my body would get used to it, it never has.  I don't work and it's been more than a year and I still have to take naps everyday, sometimes just 1 sometimes 2.  It totally sucks. 

I started a dlmt and titrated the xanax, then held but not long enough before I started titrating the valium.  Had to hold, finally started again, going very slowly and have made it down to 11 mgs V.  I won't lie to you, it's been hard.  My body hates Valium. 

This is just a suggestion, hold for a few weeks, keep both in your system, give your body a chance to adapt to the Valium.  During that time, read up on liquid titration.  Complete experts on here that can help with a plan.  If you body adapts, titrate the xanax, if not titrate some Valium, keeping the xanax.  After you've titrated some Valium, hold again.  See if you are stable enough to now start titrating the xanax.  I am hope by keeping some xanax in you system, you can work.  Does this make sense to you?  I wish I had done that now I have more knowledge. 🍀  DLMT gives you more control, I really recommend it.  A lot of people have struggled with Valium.  Take it very slow.  .Mary 💜💛💙

Thanks for the replies GoGo and Mary,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, but the whole family came down with the flu this weekend.  I thought it may be benzo flu, but since the whole family had it I'm pretty sure it was the good old fashion regular flu.  I am still pretty week form it, but I think another day on bed will do the trick.

GoGo, thanks for the insight on the ativan to valium ratio, I have never seen this before.  I always thouhgt the Ashton guide was the bible for c/o equivalencies. I have 5 mg tablets of valium, so maybe I should shoot for a 15 mg c/o and adjust from there.  I have never seen that conversion calculator and I know that everyone reacts differently, but if I can c/o to a lower dose, I am already winning the battle.

Mary, I also understand your take on the c/o.  Again everyone reacts differently, but that may be a an option.  The only thing that frightens me some what is trying to taper off of two benzos at the same time and how they both make the body react differently.

Thank both of you for your input, It is greatly appreciated.  I have made other posts that i thought were legitimate questions only to find I get several views , but no replies.  So again, thanks to the both of you from the bottom of my heart. :smitten: