Insomnia support group

[Da...]

Hi guys,

I couldn't find an insomnia support group that was active recently, so I'm starting this so that people can talk about their experiences, discuss strategies and help each other try to get some sleep. I am off about 1 year and have had severe persistent insomnia the entire time. I've never slept more than 5 hours in one night since jumping and have averaged around 3 hours sleep the entire year. I've had decent periods where I will sleep over four hours - sometimes for weeks - but I always seem to slip backwards. It's incredibly frustrating and seems to worsen all the other symptoms and creates a feeling of insecurity and uncertainty about the future. Very difficult to plan anything when your sleep is so unpredictable!

I'm a bit more exhausted today than usual, but I will come back later to post about the things I've tried to fix it. (Hint: medications and supplements all made things worse). I slept terrible last night (1 or 2 hours) due to the ill-advised decision to play dodgeball. I knew that would happen, but I wanted to see my friends. Once my nervous system gets overstimulated like that, from all the yelling, throwing, running and socializing etc. I find it takes me a good 24-48 hours to return to normal. I think it is a sort of dysautonomia, where my autonomic nervous system cannot regulate itself properly. I believe many buddies struggle with this.

Wishing everyone sweet and ample dreams tonight :)

[8f...]

im kinda right where you are now with if I expend a good deal of energy, if i overdo it, im a good 2 days of racing insane adrenaline and agitation. damned if you do, damned if you dont with exercise, it really sucks. ive been a couch potato for 3 years now after weightlifting for many years before that. im 47 and i need to get things moving here, but everytime i do i rev myself up.

i sleep on average now 3 1/2 - 4 hours if im lucky, still. i havent had a single nights sleep of 7-8 hours in over a year, its insanity, im sleep deprived 24/7.  nothing knocks me out all night, and i always feel totally run down the next day if i take anything. im just too agitated still to fall asleep or stay asleep.

4 years ago, at 43 yrs old, i felt like i did in my late 20s, i felt amazing.

now i feel, oh, like a run down 80 yr old lol.

i really wish i could sleep

i got off k 5 months ago was sleeping around 4 hours ,then i decided to go off ambien that i had been on for two years 10mg within a months time ,then i thought i would start weaning off zoloft so i went from 150 mg down to 75mg and since then i have not got any sleep at all.

Thanks Luke and 53dog.

Luke, I also can't take literally anything. I wish I had taken the hint early, but I kept trying stuff and had some pretty bad reactions. I think I made things worse with all that junk. I tried Benadryl and other antihistamines (caused my stomach to cramp up, which actually worsened the insomnia), a beta blocker (which nearly killed me), as well as a bunch of supplements like glycine, kava kava, passionflower (air hunger, a total lack of feeling like I was breathing), melatonin etc. Hard to believe I couldn't tolerate melatonin, since I had taken it for years before without any problem. That's when I knew something was seriously wrong.

I actually slept fairly well tonight (for me, anyway). I fell asleep a little after 8pm and woke up at 12:30am. It's been very rare that I sleep 4 hours straight during withdrawal. I take it as a sign of progress, but I was also totally exhausted. In the early days I would sleep an hour and then wake up, and if I was lucky I'd fall back asleep for another couple hours. When I woke up after the hour, I'd usually go to the washroom and my eyes had an odd yellowish-red tinge and were extremely sensitive to light. They almost felt like they were burning. I still get that a bit, but much more seldom and only during really bad waves.

The feeling of having to get a bunch of stuff done that day, after having slept something like 0-2 hours, is hard to beat for pure horror. I remember near the end of my taper, waking up after 0-2 hours sleep and going to work, feeling incredibly weak and terrible, and having no idea how I'd make it to the end of the day. The worst were Mondays. Somehow I would always sleep especially bad Sunday night, work, and then I'd have ping pong with my then-girlfriend. I remember after we played our game she would want to stick around and practice, somehow totally oblivious to the fact I was dying on the inside. In retrospect, that relationship wouldn't have lasted anyway, but it still felt terrible when she broke it off (even though I was about to end it myself, just to be fair to her). At the time, I had never felt worse in my entire life. But even if we had stayed together, I'm sure I would have found something else to feel terrible about. Luckily for me, after that happened and I'd jumped, my digestive system basically stopped working, so I had the fact that I slowly began starving to death to occupy me and take my mind off the failed relationship. I ended up losing about 30lbs in 3 months before it finally stopped. What a horror show.

But it seems important to remember that you've actually made progress. It's often tough to tell. Improvement for me has been so glacial that I doubt I would be able to tell things were better at all if I hadn't kept a journal and been able to look back on entries from a few months ago. Even though I've had very little improvement in sleep since August, I've had improvement in other areas, like exercise tolerance. Near the start of withdrawal, I thought I'd be better in six months. Now that its been a year, I'm thinking I may get back to something approaching normal in a couple years. Not exactly the most cheerful thought, but better than borderline dying, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Keeping a journal will def help keep you sane (more sane, anyway). I am now 5 years off Klonopin and insomnia was the worst, and most lasting side effect. It’s hard to believe I went on 0-1 hrs sleep the first several months. Improvement was v-e-r-y gradual. The truth is, I have never been a heavy sleeper so looking back, I can see this would be my vulnerable spot. Looking back means reading your journal. Nothing will inspire you more than proof positive (your own journalizng) that progress really is happening. If you have others in the household, maybe they can help you by monitoring your sleep now and then. I know I got in the habit of saying to my spouse, “I didn’t sleep at all” and he’d say “Oh yes, you did! I was up and you were sleeping!” Another thing I did (which sounds crazy now!) was to put my laptop on a table next to the bed and ran the built-in camera on myself to record sleeping moments. I actually found I was getting SOME shut-eye! It also served at times to prove to my spouse that I really DIDN’T get any sleep! Best advice: never give up, never give in no matter what. Good luck!  :thumbsup:

I haven't slept (that I know of) for more than 1-2 hours for a couple of years since I went into tolerance with Atavan.  I haven't updated my profile but I jumped off valium over a month ago now. Still the same pattern.... go to bed around 10... wake up about midnight.... then I don't think I really go back to sleep after that ( but probably do a little).  I tried staying up until midnight last night thinking I would be "be more tired"  and sleep better.... NOT!... I got even less sleep. I have tried every herb and OTC sleep med there is... some worked for a little while but they have all pooped out. Haven't tried MJ yet but have tried CBD... nada. Melatonin and doxy use to make me sleepy but not anymore.  I think tonight I will just go to bed and take "nothing" and see how it goes.  Its entirely possible that supplements and sleep aids that first work turn "paradoxical" after a while (like just about any med does that the brain adapts to).

I NEVER get sleepy and start yawning like I did before benzos.  Yes... my eyes start hurting from lack of sleep but I think I could stay up for a couple of days/nights straight and NEVER get sleepy. I'm sure at some point I would just keel over.   

Its amazing though that I am functional during the day (even though I feel like shit) with so little sleep each night going on a couple of years. I keep combing these forums for the "magic bullet" for sleep and haven't found it yet. Did CBT for Insomnia... nada. I'm amazed that some people on these

forums don't have much of a problem with sleep. The sleep I get is not "refreshing sleep" (lots REM.. not deep sleep)  as I have to drag myself out of bed each morning.  Right now, Insomnia, morning anxiety and tinnitus are my worse symptoms in that order. I feel once I can start sleeping more that 1-2 hours a night I will be on the road to recovery.

I'm all ears for solutions  as Insomnia (like most BB) is one of my my worst withdrawal symptoms.  I know I have to stop ruminating over it and just accept "it is what it is" until my brain gets around to "re-wiring" itself.

Thanks for starting this thread again. I too noticed there hasn't been much activity on the Insomnia

form group. Maybe its because there isn't really much that be done about it... our brains have their own timetable.  Doesn't mean I am going give up searching for the "magic bullet" !

I haven't slept (that I know of) for more than 1-2 hours for a couple of years since I went into tolerance with Atavan.  I haven't updated my profile but I jumped off valium over a month ago now. Still the same pattern.... go to bed around 10... wake up about midnight.... then I don't think I really go back to sleep after that ( but probably do a little).  I tried staying up until midnight last night thinking I would be "be more tired"  and sleep better.... NOT!... I got even less sleep. I have tried every herb and OTC sleep med there is... some worked for a little while but they have all pooped out. Haven't tried MJ yet but have tried CBD... nada. Melatonin and doxy use to make me sleepy but not anymore.  I think tonight I will just go to bed and take "nothing" and see how it goes.  Its entirely possible that supplements and sleep aids that first work turn "paradoxical" after a while (like just about any med does that the brain adapts to).

I NEVER get sleepy and start yawning like I did before benzos.  Yes... my eyes start hurting from lack of sleep but I think I could stay up for a couple of days/nights straight and NEVER get sleepy. I'm sure at some point I would just keel over.   

Its amazing though that I am functional during the day (even though I feel like shit) with so little sleep each night going on a couple of years. I keep combing these forums for the "magic bullet" for sleep and haven't found it yet. Did CBT for Insomnia... nada. I'm amazed that some people on these

forums don't have much of a problem with sleep. The sleep I get is not "refreshing sleep" (lots REM.. not deep sleep)  as I have to drag myself out of bed each morning.  Right now, Insomnia, morning anxiety and tinnitus are my worse symptoms in that order. I feel once I can start sleeping more that 1-2 hours a night I will be on the road to recovery.

I'm all ears for solutions  as Insomnia (like most BB) is one of my my worst withdrawal symptoms.  I know I have to stop ruminating over it and just accept "it is what it is" until my brain gets around to "re-wiring" itself.

Thanks for starting this thread again. I too noticed there hasn't been much activity on the Insomnia

form group. Maybe its because there isn't really much that be done about it... our brains have their own timetable.  Doesn't mean I am going give up searching for the "magic bullet" !

Hey Top,

I went to look up Ativan, expecting it to have primarily hypnotic characteristics, but surprisingly it is classified as more of an anxiolytic. The drug I took - Clonazepam - is also classed as an anxiolytic (the most powerful one of the legal benzos, I believe). Sort of strange that extreme insomnia is the primary symptom in our withdrawal. I thought it would be primarily anxiety, but perhaps it is and the insomnia is just secondary to that.

I don't think there is a magic bullet. I began to improve once I stopped taking supplements and meds to try and sleep, so my advice would be to try that. Sounds like you are already on that road anyway. I remember reading an article by Dr. Malcolm Lader in which he mentions in a sort of offhand way that once the withdrawal syndrome sets in for some people, they are not amenable to reinstatement and end up having a paradoxical reaction to benzos. He said they didn't know why this occurred, but I'd be interested to know. I'm guessing it is some sort of defence mechanism by the nervous system (don't f'ing sedate me anymore!) but I have no real evidence for that, other than that chronic sedative use can cause a bit of damage. It seems for some that this paradoxical reaction extends to pretty much all substances with anxiolytic / hypnotic functions. For me, I cannot take any sort of psychotropic substance, they all make things worse.

If the insomnia is primarily due to anxiety (not really a great term for it, more like widespread nervous system dysregulation of the area of the brain that regulates arousal), then the best thing to help with sleep would probably be to engage in relaxation exercises, like progressive muscle relaxation, meditation, yoga. The sleep doctor I saw said it is good to engage in something that is relaxing but engaging and then drowsiness may occur as an epiphenomenon. For me, this occurs when I read close to bedtime. I've also found meditation and progressive muscle relaxation helpful. (I just use videos available on youtube.)

I had the same thing as you early on, just a total lack of drowsiness. I think another important thing to do is to try and normalize it and not get anxious about it (if that is ever possible). It's not going to kill you and it will gradually fade. Sleep is not something you can force or try really hard and fix, so it's best to just accept what sleep you get and have faith that it will return. I really doubt there is any pharmacological solution or magic bullet, or you'd think someone would have found it. I know TheWay was searching around desperately and even went to a Flumazenil clinic  to try and induce GABA receptor upregulation (he said it didn't work). I've looked around on here and I've never really heard someone say they found some magic solution other than watching hypnosis or meditation videos, and those people all said sleep returned gradually, not right away.

Sorry your insomnia is so severe. I know it sucks.

Hi guys,

I couldn't find an insomnia support group that was active recently, so I'm starting this so that people can talk about their experiences, discuss strategies and help each other try to get some sleep. I am off about 1 year and have had severe persistent insomnia the entire time. I've never slept more than 5 hours in one night since jumping and have averaged around 3 hours sleep the entire year. I've had decent periods where I will sleep over four hours - sometimes for weeks - but I always seem to slip backwards. It's incredibly frustrating and seems to worsen all the other symptoms and creates a feeling of insecurity and uncertainty about the future. Very difficult to plan anything when your sleep is so unpredictable!

I'm a bit more exhausted today than usual, but I will come back later to post about the things I've tried to fix it. (Hint: medications and supplements all made things worse). I slept terrible last night (1 or 2 hours) due to the ill-advised decision to play dodgeball. I knew that would happen, but I wanted to see my friends. Once my nervous system gets overstimulated like that, from all the yelling, throwing, running and socializing etc. I find it takes me a good 24-48 hours to return to normal. I think it is a sort of dysautonomia, where my autonomic nervous system cannot regulate itself properly. I believe many buddies struggle with this.

Maybe you could try cannabis?

I've been thinking about trying cannabis but have zero experience with it.  Some say it revs them up...

.... others say it helps them sleep but only the right kind and the right dosage. I've tried CBD oil... no help. I'll be damn if I'll give up my 2nd amendment rights to get a MM card so I guess I'll have to get it off the street.

Keeping a journal will def help keep you sane (more sane, anyway). I am now 5 years off Klonopin and insomnia was the worst, and most lasting side effect. It’s hard to believe I went on 0-1 hrs sleep the first several months. Improvement was v-e-r-y gradual. The truth is, I have never been a heavy sleeper so looking back, I can see this would be my vulnerable spot. Looking back means reading your journal. Nothing will inspire you more than proof positive (your own journalizng) that progress really is happening. If you have others in the household, maybe they can help you by monitoring your sleep now and then. I know I got in the habit of saying to my spouse, “I didn’t sleep at all” and he’d say “Oh yes, you did! I was up and you were sleeping!” Another thing I did (which sounds crazy now!) was to put my laptop on a table next to the bed and ran the built-in camera on myself to record sleeping moments. I actually found I was getting SOME shut-eye! It also served at times to prove to my spouse that I really DIDN’T get any sleep! Best advice: never give up, never give in no matter what. Good luck!  :thumbsup:

I feel so exhausted its like torture , Im sleeping like 4-5 hrs and Its killing me, if I sleep less my body hurts, how  did you cope my god! I'm freaking out I when to a work interview to work with kids in the afternoon twice a  week not sure how I will manage.

:'(

Hi guys,

Maybe you could try cannabis?

Appreciate the suggestion bonty, but I've reacted badly to quite a few things that were milder than cannabis (melatonin, 5-HTP etc). I've sworn off all drugs and supplements since then, they only seemed to make things worse.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this group is still active . I am having one ok night then no sleep at all or it sure feels like I can’t fall asleep at all .

Then the next night if I am lucky 4 to 5 of broken sleep anyone ?

Not sure if this group is still active . I am having one ok night then no sleep at all or it sure feels like I can’t fall asleep at all .

Then the next night if I am lucky 4 to 5 of broken sleep anyone ?

Hi Tech,

What type of stuff have you tried for sleeping? Have you done progressive muscle relaxation or meditation? I've found both of those pretty helpful. There are quite a few guided meditation videos on youtube and other places around the internet. I've also found daily exercise to be very helpful, both for improving overall health, but also for reliably falling asleep. I've also heard yoga is good, but haven't tried it yet myself. Along with the usual sleep hygiene stuff recommended by cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia, like going to bed at the same time, getting out of bed if you lie there for more than 30 minutes and can't sleep, avoiding caffeine, nicotine and other drugs that may affect sleep, these have really helped stabilize my sleep. I've found it has slowly gotten better, although there is still much room for improvement.

I think I've had four or five nights of full sleep since January. Mostly I now sleep four or sometimes five hours per night. I really should not say "night," since sometimes I don't conk out until the sun comes up.

My "normal" may be 9 hours, but that may have been related to the use of Xanax.

I've read a LOT of books since January, but I don't retain much of the reading.

Thanks all for the reply , it is so upsetting there seems to be nothing to do but wait and hope it returns some day . Naps are out of the question for me I can’t ever fall asleep and it just upsets me more because I am so tired .

Thanks all for the reply , it is so upsetting there seems to be nothing to do but wait and hope it returns some day . Naps are out of the question for me I can’t ever fall asleep and it just upsets me more because I am so tired .

All I can say is it will get better, especially after you jump, but there are things you can do to help relax and make yourself more comfortable in the meantime. It's important to develop a routine and have an array of coping techniques there for you. I slept 3 hours per night for almost a year and even if there is no improvement in time slept, you will feel better because of the healing that occurs with less of the drug in your system and improvements in sleep architecture (benzos increase and decrease certain stages of sleep, deviating from what your body would normally do), plus learning to cope with the lack of sleep and learning what works and what doesn't to relax. A few more things:

Warm baths in the evening 3 or 4 hours before bed help, because as your body temperature cools you will get drowsier.

Both heart rate and body temperature variability correlated with better sleep (more variability = better sleep), so exercise can help in that respect.

Eating meals a the same time each day will also help keep your circadian rhythm steady.

Try to find some relaxing activities to do in the evening to help you wind down, like reading, listening to relaxing music or podcasts, meditating etc.

I hope you feel better soon, Tech. You too, Lilyann :)

• 2 months later...
Why is this thread asleep? Isn't anyone suffering form insomnia since April? I sleep between 3 to 5 hours a night. Some good nights 6 hours. I'm planning to hold on my dose for a while as my sxs are no longer manageable.

All I can say is it will get better, especially after you jump, but there are things you can do to help relax and make yourself more comfortable in the meantime. It's important to develop a routine and have an array of coping techniques there for you. I slept 3 hours per night for almost a year and even if there is no improvement in time slept, you will feel better because of the healing that occurs with less of the drug in your system and improvements in sleep architecture (benzos increase and decrease certain stages of sleep, deviating from what your body would normally do), plus learning to cope with the lack of sleep and learning what works and what doesn't to relax. A few more things:

Warm baths in the evening 3 or 4 hours before bed help, because as your body temperature cools you will get drowsier.

Both heart rate and body temperature variability correlated with better sleep (more variability = better sleep), so exercise can help in that respect.

Eating meals a the same time each day will also help keep your circadian rhythm steady.

Try to find some relaxing activities to do in the evening to help you wind down, like reading, listening to relaxing music or podcasts, meditating etc.

I hope you feel better soon, Tech. You too, Lilyann :)

Data Guy could you work and function on three hours of sleep. I'm in that same situation and feeling quite desperate.

Topofthe bottom I'm also getting very little sleep. Many nights 3 hours, sometimes 2, and some blissful nights 4 or even 5 hours!! I'm 1 years old and I have to work. My main worry is being functional. I'm still managing but it's so difficult. I don't know if the most difficult part is the sleeplessness or the anxiety and worry about sleeplessness. Do you work and function on this little sleep for two years? I need a role model.

Topofthe bottom I'm also getting very little sleep. Many nights 3 hours, sometimes 2, and some blissful nights 4 or even 5 hours!! I'm 1 years old and I have to work.

One years old and already self-sufficient. Kids really grow up fast these days.

And I thought my parents were strict!  :laugh:

Data Guy could you work and function on three hours of sleep. I'm in that same situation and feeling quite desperate.

In all seriousnes, heck no. I was losing weight at a rate of about 10lbs per month. My stomach was so royally messed up that I couldn't handle solid food. I've gained it all back now, but sleep is still pretty spotty. I'm in much better shape physically, so the insomnia feels as if it is much easier to handle. It gets less difficult the further you are away from jumping, I've found. There was one 48 hour period about 9 months after jumping where I didn't sleep, but it was easy. I even did groceries and went for a long walk. Much of the distress is withdrawal related. I am quite a bit more functional now, but still have a ways to go to get to 100%.

If you are down to 3 hours, I think you're doing the right thing by holding. Things should improve after a few weeks.

In all seriousnes, heck no. I was losing weight at a rate of about 10lbs per month. My stomach was so royally messed up that I couldn't handle solid food. I've gained it all back now, but sleep is still pretty spotty. I'm in much better shape physically, so the insomnia feels as if it is much easier to handle. It gets less difficult the further you are away from jumping, I've found. There was one 48 hour period about 9 months after jumping where I didn't sleep, but it was easy. I even did groceries and went for a long walk. Much of the distress is withdrawal related. I am quite a bit more functional now, but still have a ways to go to get to 100%.

If you are down to 3 hours, I think you're doing the right thing by holding. Things should improve after a few weeks.

Thanks for answering. I don't know if things will improve, I'm feeling quite hopeless as I'm in acute WD. How did you resist the temptation of taking another psych med to ease the symptoms when you were so distressed? I know they're all dangerous and poison, but in my current state of mind, sometimes I think I can be tricked into taking anything.

The fact that I reacted terribly to all of them and made things worse definitely helped lol. It's tough. I had no idea I would react the way I did, but I got the hint after a number of nightmare days and nights. I only found BB after jumping, so I was pretty ignorant.

Hard to know what to recommend in that situation, but I wish I had just abstained from all meds and supplements. Probably the best thing you can do is learn to deal with the lack of sleep any way you can. It won't kill you, but I know it feels horrible. I should also say that I was not at all convinced it wouldn't kill me, so I know I'm speaking from a place of greater comfort now. If you can find a few things that will reliably relax and distract you, they will really help you get through the worst days and nights.

I know I am not much help. TBH I don't think I dealt with it all that well myself. I know MTfan had a brutal level of insomnia for quite awhile. She may have some good advice for you.