Help with best way to taper from Lorazepam. Convert to Valium? A few questions

[Po...]

Hi!  Looking for some help please!

QUESTION #1: Do you think I should switch from 2 doses to 3 doses as indicated on the spreadsheet, or stick with what I have been doing for many years (1 in AM, 2 in PM, start cutting PM first)?

Now, I have a new Dr. who is willing to prescribe my Lorazepam and help me to taper off.  He doesn't have any taper experience and suggested first cut to be 1/2 tablet = .50 MG at once!! (I'll follow spreadsheet on my own, as long as he keeps prescribing and not rushing me with his "pulled out of the air" reduction amounts).  He did mention willingness to convert me to Valium due to the short half life of Lorazepam. As far as timeframe, we discussed it could be 1 year, or 1 1/2 years as long as I am going in the right direction.

QUESTION #2:  Should I start micro tapering at 5% every 2 weeks as planned, and then maybe at 2 mg switch to Valium?  I'm not sure if the switch should be right from the start?  I am interested in converting, because even with a micro taper, I am concerned about that short half life becoming a symptom issue.  If anyone has experienced input based on your success, I would appreciate. 

QUESTION #3: is there help here on BB for how to convert from L to V?  I have the Ashton Manual, and am wondering if that is the best plan to follow?  Would be schedule 8 for me on page 43 if I start from beginning.  Even if I start at 2mg, is this the best protocol for leaving Lorazepam gradually and introducing the Valium gradually? (Sometimes it seems her reductions are fast in my opinion).

Lots to figure out, but I am ready and just need to get sorted on my plan and I will begin!  Thanks in advance for your wonderful assistance.  I am grateful beyond measure!!

[12...]

#1- I would dose Ativan 3 times a day, 1 mg every 8 hours, no cutting as a crossover is a good idea.

#2-  I would crossover, your 3 mg's A = 30 mg's Valium or 1.5 mg's Klonopin, before starting a taper. You can use either V or K, they are both very suitable for liquid titration.

#3- Years back I did a direct crossover from Xanax to Valium without issue, not suggesting this, just letting you know crossovers aren't always problematic. If you were to crossover from A to V or K, I would first get on a 3 times a day dosing of A, 1 mg every 8 hours. When you are ready to C/O, I would swap out 1 dose of 1 mg A for either 10 mg's V or .5 mg's K, do this for 1-2 weeks, then proceed on to the next dose, repeat, until fully on V or K. You can start your crossover from your AM/Midday/PM dose, it does not matter, whatever you feel is best. Your body will let you know how it will respond to the crossover and whether 1-2 weeks is enough per swap out or not.

HTH.

You have a solid c/o strategy from benzo-off.  Also consider others have successfully direct tapered from lorazepam and that's what I'm doing.

Early in my taper I tried briefly to c/o to valium. For those two days I was a complete zombie and couldn't function at work.  So, I decided to immediately drop valium and stay on lorazepam, the devil I know, rather than take the time many need to acclimate to valium.  Plus, I couldn't allow my work to suffer.

Since we're all different, you may tolerate valium easily.  Just wanted you to know it's not necessary to c/o.

Your doctor can prescribe lorazepam as a liquid to do a daily microtaper.

Wishing you all the best!

xo,

sierra  :smitten: