QUESTION FOR BUILDER RE: COMPOUNDED ATIVAN PG SOLUTION

[Mo...]

Hi again Builder!

Saw a recent post about someone saying their pharmacist can make a compound SOLUTION using PG.

Is this basically the same as the RX solution and is diluteable?

If it is, then I could get my pharmacist to prepare the same for my Ativan taper?

As always, thank you for your help.

Cheers, have a great weekend!

Hi again Builder!

Saw a recent post about someone saying their pharmacist can make a compound SOLUTION using PG.

Is this basically the same as the RX solution and is diluteable?

Yes, and yes.

If it is, then I could get my pharmacist to prepare the same for my Ativan taper?

You need 3 ingredients to make a PG based  liquid lorazepam solution.  Lorazepam, propylene glycol,, and water.  Those are the basic ingredients of the Rx liquid.  So any compounding pharmacy could make it.  You would need a scrip from your doc, of course.

As always, thank you for your help.

Cheers, have a great weekend!

Best news all day Builder.  I just needed clarification and now I can put my mind at ease; I’ve got all bases covered for when I start my taper.

Thank you thank you thank you!

MP

You may have to shop around a bit, I live in a metropolitan area and couldn't find a single pharmacy willing to make a solution. They all wanted to make me a suspension, for $100+ a month, no less. :/

That sucks Waves.  I hope this doesn’t come across as condescending but have you googled “compounding pharmacy” for your area?  How about having it shipped from another state?  Also, Builder says we can make our own with PG.

I have insurance that pays for my prescriptions so I will let the professionals handle it.  If I get more confident before my taper and things don’t pan out I may make it myself.

The one I want to go with is strictly a compounding pharmacy so I don’t think it will be a problem but I will call back and speak to head pharmacist/owner - thanks for the good advice hun.

There are three more strictly compounding pharmacies in my city (Montreal) so I have options.  If I have to go with a suspension at least it will be a lot easier and precise than dry cut as I don’t think I would do very well with a scale etc.

There is also the option of compounded capsules which may be more costly but I’ll do it, find the money somewhere.

That sucks Waves.  I hope this doesn’t come across as condescending but have you googled “compounding pharmacy” for your area?  How about having it shipped from another state?  Also, Builder says we can make our own with PG.

I have insurance that pays for my prescriptions so I will let the professionals handle it.  If I get more confident before my taper and things don’t pan out I may make it myself.

The one I want to go with is strictly a compounding pharmacy so I don’t think it will be a problem but I will call back and speak to head pharmacist/owner - thanks for the good advice hun.

There are three more strictly compounding pharmacies in my city (Montreal) so I have options.  If I have to go with a suspension at least it will be a lot easier and precise than dry cut as I don’t think I would do very well with a scale etc.

There is also the option of compounded capsules which may be more costly but I’ll do it, find the money somewhere.

Yeah, I only spoke with compounding pharmacies, knowing regular pharmacies don't do that stuff at all. There are 4 of them in my area that are still compounding, and none of them will make solutions, only suspensions.

Also, I spoke with my insurance and they consider a compounded suspension or a solution unnecessary, so will not cover the cost of compounding, only regular tablets. So it would be good to check on this as well, if only to know what to expect.

It's okay, though, I am doing just fine for now and if I decide to switch to liquid at any point, I will be making my own with vodka. Just wanted to give you a heads up about compounding pharmacies sometimes being a bit set in their ways. Of course, I got a different feeling from pharmacies in general in Canada, so maybe it's better up there (I hope). :)

Yeah, I only spoke with compounding pharmacies, knowing regular pharmacies don't do that stuff at all. There are 4 of them in my area that are still compounding, and none of them will make solutions, only suspensions.

Also, I spoke with my insurance and they consider a compounded suspension or a solution unnecessary, so will not cover the cost of compounding, only regular tablets. So it would be good to check on this as well, if only to know what to expect.

It's okay, though, I am doing just fine for now and if I decide to switch to liquid at any point, I will be making my own with vodka. Just wanted to give you a heads up about compounding pharmacies sometimes being a bit set in their ways. Of course, I got a different feeling from pharmacies in general in Canada, so maybe it's better up there (I hope). :)

Based on what I have seen here on BB over the years, that seems to be pretty universal.  Not sure why.

Based on what I have seen here on BB over the years, that seems to be pretty universal.  Not sure why.

I don't understand it, either. They would only give you a 30 day supply at a time, anyway, so it can't be fear of dilution hurting their bottom line. I tried to initiate conversations, in person, with a couple of these pharmacists, and they all grew uncomfortable discussing even the idea of making a solution, like it was some bizarre experimental process. It was clearly a lack of knowledge, they were nice about it, but had nothing to offer on the subject.

On the other hand, one of them said he does benzo tapers with suspensions regularly, and even does consults with local doctors to help them with taper schedules, so at least he wasn't completely in the dark about the issue at hand.

I suspect it has to do with the variablilty and ("uncertainty") of solubility.  There are several variables that effect solubility, so solubility ratios are not always certain.

With a suspension, since the active ingredient doesn't actually change state, it really doesn't matter.  Given a proper suspension agent, the dry particles will reliably suspend.

[d3...]

I did half of my K taper using suspension Ora Plus from a compound pharmacy. The suspension efficacy should last 3 months as per pharmacist but my Dr ordered a new set every two months. I even made her ordered two bottles of 60 ml each due to travel ( kept one in the house). Total suspension ratio was 0.1 mg/ml  12 pills were use for one 120 ml bottle or 6 pills for a 60 ml. The cost $50.

I just finished my taper two weeks ago. Yes! is doable!

Miguel