I need detailed help with a DLMT from Xanax

[Ji...]

Hi- I’ve posted in a few boards here but I was told

That this might be the best place to get info.

I’m currently cutting my .5mg Xanax tablets into quarters. I’ve been taking 1.25mg of Xanax only at night to help with sleep. The last three days I’ve successfully moved down to 1.125mg and have only had issues during the day but I might just be worried about sleep because the whole reason I’m here is because of PTSD from insomnia and an ER visit.

Should I dry cut until I start having issues?  I’ve been told the DLMT is the way to go but do the symptoms persist throughout every step down or does it level off after a couple days?

Hi- I’ve posted in a few boards here but I was told

That this might be the best place to get info.

I’m currently cutting my .5mg Xanax tablets into quarters. I’ve been taking 1.25mg of Xanax only at night to help with sleep. The last three days I’ve successfully moved down to 1.125mg and have only had issues during the day but I might just be worried about sleep because the whole reason I’m here is because of PTSD from insomnia and an ER visit.

Should I dry cut until I start having issues?  I’ve been told the DLMT is the way to go but do the symptoms persist throughout every step down or does it level off after a couple days?

Smaller daily cuts tend to produce milder symptoms than 1 large cut. Why subject yourself to having issues?...Why not consider holding for the recommended 10-14 days? Then, while holding, consider putting together a reasonable daily taper. Here is a program where you can Create Your Own Taper Plan by Jim Hawk It may be helpful if you check out the Help function prior to using the program.

If you need more help just ask ...we are here for you!  :thumbsup:

So I was at 1.25mg for a good couple of months and felt great.  Much has changed and I've found a groove that works for sleep.  There's generally less stress in my life at this point and I'm ready to start tapering down to get off this stuff before I'm years down the road and it'll get more difficult.

I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is during the day is interdose withdrawl or just general worry about sleep because of all of the issues I've had in the last 6 months.  I feel like I'm torturing myself because I just got comfortable with my dose and ability to fall asleep but I know the inevitable next jump in dose is probably going to be harder for me mentally than a taper off.  At least any sort of sleep issues that I have will be because of the taper and not because I'm getting used to the medication.

I'd rather do the dry cut method if possible but it's going to be difficult to get the dosing right.

Are you saying to cut a tiny bit every day instead of going 10% every 14 days? 

My current plan looks like this:

Starting dose: 1.25mg

2/18- 1.125

3/4- 1

3/18-0.875

4/1- 0.75

4/15- 0.625

5/6- 0.5

5/20- 0.375

6/3- 0.25

6/17- 0.125

Jump?

So I was at 1.25mg for a good couple of months and felt great.  Much has changed and I've found a groove that works for sleep.  There's generally less stress in my life at this point and I'm ready to start tapering down to get off this stuff before I'm years down the road and it'll get more difficult.

I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is during the day is interdose withdrawl or just general worry about sleep because of all of the issues I've had in the last 6 months.  I feel like I'm torturing myself because I just got comfortable with my dose and ability to fall asleep but I know the inevitable next jump in dose is probably going to be harder for me mentally than a taper off.  At least any sort of sleep issues that I have will be because of the taper and not because I'm getting used to the medication.

I'd rather do the dry cut method if possible but it's going to be difficult to get the dosing right.

Are you saying to cut a tiny bit every day instead of going 10% every 14 days? 

My current plan looks like this:

Starting dose: 1.25mg

2/18- 1.125

3/4- 1

3/18-0.875

4/1- 0.75

4/15- 0.625

5/6- 0.5

5/20- 0.375

6/3- 0.25

6/17- 0.125

Jump?

Yes, I am saying why not cut a tiny bit everyday, holding when necessary, while at the same time learning more natural coping techniques. That is a robust taper plan, Because you have only been on Xanax a short period of time, this is doable if symptoms remain manageable.

Here is a plan reducing daily identical to the same time frame as your plan listed above.

click image

iusLyZF.png

This is plan is always easily adjustable according to how you are feeling. You can adjust or download it  using Create Your Own Taper Plan by Jim Hawk

Hi Bella- I guess I’m really trying to be cautious with my approach since my my PTSD is tied to insomnia.  I really don’t know if I’ll fully recover even after I get off the Xanax until I’m able to string together enough nights of sleep so I don’t have to worry about it anymore.  But who knows.

The last couple of nights have been all right but I’m almost positive my anxiety throughout the day has been because I’m nervous about not being able to sleep.  Last week before I decided to taper I felt great and had no issues at all when I went to bed.  I am traveling for work on Sunday so I might try the plan you laid out when I get back. I really just want to feel stable again.

I have two young kids and a very visible job that I can’t screw up.

When you say my plan is robust, you mean I shouldn’t try to go faster right? 

Hi Bella- I guess I’m really trying to be cautious with my approach since my my PTSD is tied to insomnia.  I really don’t know if I’ll fully recover even after I get off the Xanax until I’m able to string together enough nights of sleep so I don’t have to worry about it anymore.  But who knows.

The last couple of nights have been all right but I’m almost positive my anxiety throughout the day has been because I’m nervous about not being able to sleep.  Last week before I decided to taper I felt great and had no issues at all when I went to bed.  I am traveling for work on Sunday so I might try the plan you laid out when I get back. I really just want to feel stable again.

I have two young kids and a very visible job that I can’t screw up.

When you say my plan is robust, you mean I shouldn’t try to go faster right?

Yes, it is a fairly fast taper, but you are a short term user so it may be ok. I would suggest you start out tapering paying close attention to any symptoms that may arise. Hold when/if necessary and slow down the reduction amount if needed so that you can remain functional.

The majority of folks withdrawing from benzo experience minimal symptoms and heal quickly. Unfortunately, the minority are found here on this forum, so try not to read to much of the horror stories as this may not pertain to you.

Also, have you looked into alternate more natural treatment for the anxiety & insomnia? Benzo really is not a good long term choice for these conditions.

I’ve been to a psychiatrist, but more often a counselor. The couselor sessions just turn out to be the time where I get stuff off of my chest instead of working on my sleep issues. I know it’s all related so it does help to get it out once every two weeks but my biggest issues were tied to my caffiene intake after I got a CPAP machine. I had extremely severe sleep apnea so I was chronically tired and when I got the machine I didn’t change how many stimulants I was taking in.

I’ve made a point to make a ton of changes in my life and the only reason I didn’t get off this stuff sooner is because I had my second child in the middle of all this.

It is what it is at this point. As long as I’m sticking with my meditation and staying away from caffiene I have confidence I can get through it but I’m just afraid of what one bad night might bring.

So, rough night last night.  I had to take an additional .25 of the Xanax after hours of just laying three. I might go back to my original dose and ride it out for a couple days to stabilize.

Not sure what to do. Extremely frustrating.

[77...]

As Sober mentioned, getting on a stable dose first before one starts to taper, is really the best thing to do. Stability is not necessarily being symptom free, it is having the same baseline symptoms day to day.

Are you stacking your dose all at night?  I can tell you from my personal experience, that stacking doses did not work for me, it did not induce sleep and sleep is not my main issue, anxiety is, though each one can feed off the other. Evenly divided doses throughout the day, which help to maintain an even benzo level, will usually result in better sleep and anxiety management. There is less UP/DOWN, our CNS wants stability, stability will help with a taper, even benzo levels are a way to achieve that.

Have you tried evening out the doses throughout the day? If not, I would suggest you try to do this first and for a few weeks, before attempting to taper. Once you start to taper, hopefully with a proper liquid & Xanax solution, you would still dose this way, not stacking all at night.

Just some thoughts.

As Sober mentioned, getting on a stable dose first before one starts to taper, is really the best thing to do. Stability is not necessarily being symptom free, it is having the same baseline symptoms day to day.

Are you stacking your dose all at night?  I can tell you from my personal experience, that stacking doses did not work for me, it did not induce sleep and sleep is not my main issue, anxiety is, though each one can feed off the other. Evenly divided doses throughout the day, which help to maintain an even benzo level, will usually result in better sleep and anxiety management. There is less UP/DOWN, our CNS wants stability, stability will help with a taper, even benzo levels are a way to achieve that.

Have you tried evening out the doses throughout the day? If not, I would suggest you try to do this first and for a few weeks, before attempting to taper. Once you start to taper, hopefully with a proper liquid & Xanax solution, you would still dose this way, not stacking all at night.

Just some thoughts.

I haven’t and that’s what I’m struggling with right now. After this past week of trying to dry cut 10% my body has been all over the place. Since my issues started with insomnia I’m very afraid to start taking doses out out my nightly routine and start putting them in the day. If I have a bad night I freak out and take whatever is necessary to knock me out.

I know this isn’t going to be easy but I feel one bad night will set me back or make my situation worse because I’ll end up in the ER having a panic attack again. More fuel to my PTSD fire.

Also, my stress isn’t consistent right now. Yeah, there’s less of it but some days are harder than others with two young children.