Post op Valium.. concerned of kindling

[On...]

Hello,

I had a terrible kindle from Xanax a year ago.. I am 100% better.. I am having a serious thoracic surgery to remove a rib. Thoracic outlet syndrome. My surgeon is #1 in the world and he prescribes Valium and a pain pump while you are in the hospital.. this is a redo surgery so I know how bad it hurts. Do you think I could kindle by just taking Valium for a few days..? In a seriously painful situation? Does any one have experience with this?

I don't have any experience with surgery, etc.  Can you ask for another drug?  I highly doubt a few nights of Valium will cause any adverse reactions?  I say that because your signature suggests you did a CT a bunch of times? However, V has a very long half life for most.  Maybe ask for morphine?  I read where others did surgery and had no issues with the Benzo they were given prior to the general anesthesia.

Good luck.

I have had several surgeries after getting off benzos. And yes, they gave me benzos -0 pre op (for sleep) and during anesthesia. If I were in your shoes I would talk to the anesthesiologist ahead of time and tell him/her you ate concerned about taking  benzos and ask if he/she can lower the dose a bit. That is within your patients rights.

This is major surgery. And you are right to be concerned, but don't let it stop you from going through it. Since getting off benzos I have had several surgeries, minor compared to yours. And yes, I was given a benzo to take the night before and benzos as part of anesthesia. Did not hurt me bit.

Kindling is poorly understood and no one knows if it really exists or not. It is only a theory. Try not to let this worry keep you from having needed surgery.

Let me know how you do with this.

east

When a person has major surgery like this, they WILL be given IV benzos as part of anesthesia. Giving oral benzos after is also routine. They wont give you a lot of benzos. Just a bit to help you relax so they can do surgery correctly.

Most people who have a hard time getting off benzos becomes TOO cautious and in truth, that is probably a GOOD thing! We don't want to fall into the same mistakes we made in the first place. But having major surgery complicates this.

Onescareddude, they want to give you a pain pump during your stay? Not sure what this means. I have an implanted pain pump. I have had it 11 years. It delivers a low dose of a narcotic, for the incredible pain I used to have. I am currently slowly reducing the dose, because I do not know if I NEED it now. I would guess what they mean is an IV drip of a narcotic. That isn't unusual at all after major thoracic surgery. Putting an implanted pain pump in is really unusual.

I would like to know how all of this works out for you. Private message me if you want.

east

They are different. An implanted pain pump (which I have!) is a device implanted in your abdomen with tiny wires (tubes) going into your spine. The pump delivers tiny measured doses of a narcotic plus a beta blocker to enhance that. I have had mine 11 years and am slowly having the pain docs NP lower my dose. I go down 2% every 3 months. I want to find out if I need it now!

A PCA is a medical device, an IV machine, that goes into a vein when you are in hospital. I have had those two and you are so right! Beep, Beep, UGH! You finally go back to sleep or what passes for sleep in a hospital and some nurse or CNA wakes you up to take your vital signs. Okay, so you try to relax again but someone else comes in with some non essential thing. Oh hell, being in-patient is not fun.

Why I want to go back into being an RN sometimes baffles me. There were reasons I left nursing. Big ones. My state is the lowest paying state. If I lived anywhere north of here I would make good money. NOT here in Florida.

Hello,

I had a terrible kindle from Xanax a year ago.. I am 100% better.. I am having a serious thoracic surgery to remove a rib. Thoracic outlet syndrome. My surgeon is #1 in the world and he prescribes Valium and a pain pump while you are in the hospital.. this is a redo surgery so I know how bad it hurts. Do you think I could kindle by just taking Valium for a few days..? In a seriously painful situation? Does any one have experience with this?

I would not do it if possible.

Yes, it can cause problems/kindling. What it would do to you is uncertain.

I'm not familair with that medical condition. What is the diazepam supposed to do ? Ask for an alternative if possible. It doesn't matter how good your surgeon is, it's your body and your life !