Help coming off of Klonopin

[nr...]

Hello,

My story in a Nutshell: I started taking Xanax "when needed" at August 2017. In December 2017 I developed Tinnitus, probably from building tolerance but who knows. That led me to take more Xanax but then my psychiatrist switched me to Klonopin 2mg. Since then I was able to get myself down to 0.5mg at bedtime and stayed there for a few months. The method to get there was to bring the dosage down by quarter-pills as the doctor said.

So far so good...

About 10 days ago I figured I want the Kpin out of my life. I followed the same method as before (without educating myself...) and went down to 0.25mg at bedtime. Then symptoms started to emerge including anxiety (physical and emotional), palpitations and insomnia. Can't sleep for the past two nights as my heart rate is anywhere between 80-10 and won't go down. I went online where I found and read the Ashton manual and realized I made a mistake and cut the dose to much.

Should I updose to feel better and start tapering from there responsibly? Or should I brave the symptoms and stay on 0.25/mg until symptoms disappear and then start tapering? Please help!

Also, in the Ashton manual, I'm a little to "late" in the tapering schedule to introduce Valium (and not sure if I want to introduce a new substance anyway). How do I taper using only Klonopin from 0.5/mg (if I updose) or 0.25/mg? I'm having a hard time finding info on that.

I don't really trust the psychiatrist 100% to give me the right advice. Please help, thanks!

zDFSObb.png

Hello nr1984!

We are very glad that you found us!

I am sorry you are having interdose issues with Klonopin. What you have described is common with this class of medication. If I were in your shoes I would go back to a dose where I was able to function day to day. Then do a symptom based taper from there. Crossing over to Valium would only extend the process, something to consider.

I would also like to suggest that you do some research on the various boards. Becoming well informed should better enable you to make difficult decisions as well as provide you with the tools you need for a successful taper & recovery.  You will find many knowledgeable members who will support your efforts to be benzo free. I have enclosed a few links below that may help you. Check them out!

Wishing you a smooth taper & speedy recovery!

Bella  :smitten:

Please take the time to tell us about your history by creating a signature:

For a direct link:

CLICK HERE --->

Create a Signature <--- CLICK HERE 

Links:

Professor Heather Ashton's

Boards:

General Taper Plans   

Klonopin Club

0]Withdrawal Support (during your taper)[/url]   

What's happening inside your brain

Taper Info:

Suggested reduction rate is 5% - 10% every 10 - 14 days 

Create Your Own Taper Plan  by Jim Hawk 

You-Tube step-by-step  Tutorial Video

Other Tutorials:

Well, I'm no expert here - only know of my own experience but I'm going to put something out there...

My path is somewhat similar to yours.  I was on 1mg Klon for roughly 14 months and instinctively started cutting back - clueless about the swamp I was in.  Anyway, I noticed the same thing - the bigger cut I made at first (50%) seemed ok and it was when I got below .5 that the fun began.  So yeah, take it slow from here on.  The three symptoms you mentioned were my biggest gremlins too.

But what I really wanted to get across is this - I noticed it took about 2 weeks for the worst of the sx to stablilize and then it was manageable.  Just a thought - maybe not go back to the full .5  and try to find a happy medium between the two so you don't have to cover the same ground twice???

I had my doc prescribe .5 pills by Roche so I could cut them more accurately.  It's hard to cut a full 1mg when you get to the low doses.  btw - I also had a really bad reaction to the (non Roche) generic.  Real klon does not come in .25mg.  So I started using a scale, which was helpful.  I think the Gemini scale is probably the best choice.

Good luck!