Nausea! Barium vs Endoscopy

[Ja...]

The doctor still believes my chronic nausea is related to some underlying stomach issue.  Five years ago, I had both barium swallow and endoscopy, both of which came out clear.  I live in a different state now, different doctors, so they want me to undergo these procedures again.  I remember the barium making my nausea way worse, and because I take zofran, it made the constipation worse.  The endoscopy just gave me a sore throat which was way more tolerable.

I guess my question is, does anyone know the difference between the barium swallow and endoscopy other than one being more "invasive" than the other?  I've read that endoscopy is like a more advanced version of barium swallow.  If that's the case, I might just opt for the endoscopy.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Apparently they don't use barium at this place.  It was an IV of some sort that just made my insides warm.  I always freak out over anything involving hospitals.

Glad you didnt have to go through the barium, that stuff is nasty! BLECH!

Love your screen name, photo and quote! Love that game  :smitten:

I've found out recently, that they couldnt figure out why my stomach was inflammed from my endoscopy a few years back, was diagnosed with IBS at that time too, turns out it was all the Klonopin  :'(

The doctor still believes my chronic nausea is related to some underlying stomach issue.  Five years ago, I had both barium swallow and endoscopy, both of which came out clear.  I live in a different state now, different doctors, so they want me to undergo these procedures again.  I remember the barium making my nausea way worse, and because I take zofran, it made the constipation worse.  The endoscopy just gave me a sore throat which was way more tolerable.

I guess my question is, does anyone know the difference between the barium swallow and endoscopy other than one being more "invasive" than the other?  I've read that endoscopy is like a more advanced version of barium swallow.  If that's the case, I might just opt for the endoscopy.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Apparently they don't use barium at this place.  It was an IV of some sort that just made my insides warm.  I always freak out over anything involving hospitals.

It sounds like iohexol, the contrast agent used for CT scans. Kind of gave you a mini hangover feeling too? When I've had CT scans (and I've had a lot because cancer) they gave me the barium shake (yum) and then the iohexol through IV.

Thanks in advance!

It sounds like iohexol, the contrast agent used for CT scans. Kind of gave you a mini hangover feeling too? When I've had CT scans (and I've had a lot because cancer) they gave me the barium shake (yum) and then the iohexol through IV.

Hate that feeling! Like your insides caught fire for a brief second, but I'd take it over that darn barium! My first endoscopy as a kid they let me have the barium is cranberry juice which was so much easier! Now ...nope!

Glad you didnt have to go through the barium, that stuff is nasty! BLECH!

Love your screen name, photo and quote! Love that game  :smitten:

I've found out recently, that they couldnt figure out why my stomach was inflammed from my endoscopy a few years back, was diagnosed with IBS at that time too, turns out it was all the Klonopin  :'(

Thank you.  Silent Hill is the best analogy for what this has all been like.

I've been on Zofran for the nausea, but the medical doc wants me off these.  She tried giving me prozac, and I cannot fathom the idea of putting myself on another psychotic med for a klonapin symptom.  All of my tests came back clear.  Blood tests, CT scans, cultures, only thing left I think is the endoscopy.  I sense that's going to come back clear as well.  I don't understand what's so bad about Zofran and a stable taper.  Why do they want me on all these other meds?  What makes klonapin and Zofran uniquely evil among drugs?  I just want off the ones I'm on  :'(