Dizziness and leg weakness during Ativan taper

[Ma...]

I am about a month and a half into my taper from Ativan.  I have been having symptoms from the beginning, but I have been able to work a 40 work week.  Today, however, I started having this weird feeling in my head and my legs felt as though I was going to fall over.  Has anyone else experienced this, or is this something more serious? Imbalance was one of the first symptoms that caused me to start investigating into Ativan use and it's harmful effects, but this seems more pronounced.  I dose three times a day, at 9, 3 and 10ish but this occurred approximately 3 hours after I had taken my morning dose and is still occurring.  I try and attribute it to anxiety, because if I don't feel as though I am dying at least once a day it wouldn't be normal.  Any insight would be welcomed :-\

Yes, yes, yes!!! I literally can’t stand in the shower anymore due to leg weakness. I have to take a bath now. Also standing at the stove to cook is difficult. Even just walking sometimes, it feels like my legs are going to buckle. The dizziness is sooo bad for me. I have constant dizzy spells. The heat seems to make both of these things worse for me. I was on a much higher dosage than you for many years, but I cannot imagine having to go to work throughout this process. I’m a stay at home mom to 2 small children and it’s def a struggle EVERY SINGLE DAY. You are not alone hun. Feel free to msg me if you need to talk!  :smitten:

Hi Maggie,

These both are pretty classic benzo withdrawal symptoms.  I had extreme weakness early on and Literally could not walk more than 50 feet without feeling like I was dying.  I also had jelly legs and could barely stand.  Very normal and it goes away.  For me aFter holding and stabilizing a couple weeks it gradually got better.

It’s possible you may be tapering a little too fast.  You could try holding at a dose and stabilizing till you feel a better then taper a bit slower

Hi. Yes, it happens. I have both right now, though maybe I'd call my "dizziness" more like lightheadedness - as I don't (yet) experience spinning. Your signature says that you are looking for some guidance. Please be careful in your taper. I have hit a wall at 5.2 mg valium (down from 60 mg equivalents). I managed pretty well down to 10 mg and then started having some more pronounced and unusual symptoms for me. I kept tapering though, as I did feel some improvements after 10 days (in my 14 day cut). At 5.2 I couldn't go down anymore and I feel like I am in acute withdrawal (some symptoms getting better, some new ones coming on, some staying the same). My advice is to not get ahead of your body at all. If you are experiencing new symptoms that don't go away completely in your cut (or at least back to baseline) .... hold. I'm working a full time job now and it's harder than perhaps it had to be if I had just slowed down at 10 mg or so.

Stay strong.

I am so sorry that you all are experiencing the same symptoms! I am lucky to have a very supportive physician who I see regularly and she advised me I was tapering too quickly as well, and after seeing her yesterday I feel a little better! I am so thankful to hear that these symptoms do lessen, I have been worried that this could be permanent and I have been worried about it.  I am my own worst enemy and these symptoms and the way I feel are consuming my thought processes and I seem to worry about it all day at different times, even at work.  I am so thankful I have a desk job or I couldn't do this, just getting gas today and standing at the gas pump was a struggle.  It seems as though standing still is my most difficult task, walking is difficult but standing is almost impossible unless I widen my gait or lean against something. 

Thank you for your responses, it is nice to talk to others who understand this horror!