Any idea how to relax throat muscles ?

[Tr...]

I’ve had a new symptom pop up a couple days ago,and it’s scares me so much.  This was a pre benzo symptom but I’ve had it fairly relaxed for over a decade even during tolerance and tapering. So I’m really hoping this is just another terrible withdrawal symptom that will fade away. But in the mean time, I’m  struggling with swallowing ! Like my throat muscles are so tight they won’t allow my throat to swallow,this happens with and without eating. I can feel the tightness when I yawn and just certain ways I move my neck. Can someone please tell me what helps this symptom go away ? This is horrible. I’ve been searching you tube for videos in relaxing throat muscles but nothing too promising. This is also making my air hunger worse.

[8c...]

Yep i totally get this, the scariest thing ive had so far was a few times my swallowing food seemed to happen in super slow motion, the weirdest thing everrrrrr. my throat also feels like theres pressure on it, like a big hand pressing on it, its kinda tied to the pressure in my chest. feels constricted too.

the swallowing thing is really weird

Luke Skywalker-I don’t have the pressure but my throat muscles are definitely too tight! Like it won’t let me swallow when I want to! Super scary. This is why I got on benzos in the first place but that was over 20 years ago,and my throat has been so much better all this time,

,and I don’t believe it was benefited from benzos the past 15 years ,maybe initially when I first got on them. I’m just trying to figure out how to relax them. This all started when I was singing some songs trying to get my mood up but I think I over worked my throat muscles and now this is the result! Uggg

My throat muscles and neck muscles are also extremely tight all the time. It's like I unknowingly tense them up 24/7 even when I try to relax them they go right back to being tight. Even with using a heating pad on my neck i cant seem to get them to relax.

Luv4god- yes I understand completely. I have used heating pad also. I also heartburn with this which I never have so I don’t know what’s going on. I’m hoping it calms down soon,it’s a scary symptom.

Throat tightness and malfunction have been my worst problem. Fluctuates for me. Sometimes so bad it feels like the upper inside of throat is swelling into my sinus.

I believe the main cause of this, besides the muscular dysfunction benzos cause, is acid relux (which I have). The throat tightens in response to the acid to keep it from going up any farther.

I would suggest beginning with changing the diet to cut down on acid production. Don't eat within 3 hours of sleeping, less fat in diet, no garlic/onions/tomatos, less sugar, less carbonated drinks (fizz pushes acid up).

I had that for a few days while tapering.  It went away relatively quickly, but mine was bad enough that I couldn't swallow or eat anything other than milk/yogurt for about 3 days, but it did go away on its own.  (the thick textures allowed me to swallow them.  I choked on everything else, including water).

Thanks for responding everyone! I am trying so hard not to think about this symptom so I don’t keep feeding it the anxiety it likes to feed on. But it’s so scary. And I find it interesting that some of you have GERD as well. Is the GERD temporary with withdrawal?

Among the living -Thanks so much for the diet tips! I have been avoiding most of those things so far. 

Trailhead, have you tried exercise until exhaustion? I find this relieves quite a few different symptoms. Avoiding carbs seems to help things for some people as well.

Dysphasia. My father has it from severectraumatic brain injury.

He has to have liquids thickened and food mushed to a particular consistencey to reduce choking risk so that is something to consider if it is bad.

Data guy-I can’t exercise most of the time due to my full ears and dizziness,and when I have been able to I wouldn’t be able to walk the next day. But thank you this unfortunately isn’t an option for me. :(

Ajusta-I am sorry to hear about your father. It doesn’t matter what I attempt to swallow, it just stops and won’t let me. That’s the issue. Thank you for responding. .

Hopeforrecovery -Thank you. Do you apply that as a topical to your stomach? I know you can consume aloe Vera as well. Maybe that’s what your telling me.

Yes, you can drink Aloe Vera Gel but it is a Gel.....you will have to be careful and drink it with water if you are having trouble swallowing.  It does help.  I ingest it.  If not, you can get Aloe Vera Juice.  (It's not as good for the stomach as the Gel, but it may work).

Praying you get past this soon!

Data guy-I can’t exercise most of the time due to my full ears and dizziness,and when I have been able to I wouldn’t be able to walk the next day. But thank you this unfortunately isn’t an option for me. :(

Ajusta-I am sorry to hear about your father. It doesn’t matter what I attempt to swallow, it just stops and won’t let me. That’s the issue. Thank you for responding. .

Hopeforrecovery -Thank you. Do you apply that as a topical to your stomach? I know you can consume aloe Vera as well. Maybe that’s what your telling me.

In the UK the people who treat dysphasia are Speech and Language Therapists (SALTS) so, if you are not housebound you could ask for a referral.

Are you not able to swallow water? If that is the case you need to see a Dr.

Ajusta - I can swallow water and eat, just not comfortably.  Like it stops a lot when I attempt too do so, it’s anxiety based as well as just tight muscles. I have been looked st for this issue before they said it was anxiety. But thank you so much for caring!

I’m glad you are able to get so,e stuff down.

I have this intermittently as well and also my throat can be too open and food goes down it and chokes me without me being able to control it so I have to be careful.

My severe throat tightness and difficulty swallowing or swallowing too much happened mostly at the beginning of my CT from Ativan. It has slowly gotten better, but once I hopped off the Ambien (this time no CT) it seems to have increased this symptom.

I find that it's anxiety-related. Sucking on sugar-free throat lozenges helps me.  :smitten: