Getting off benzos again

[Ha...]

Hi there, I have been taking Xanax on/off for years (approx 4 years). Previously I CT'd because I was unaware of the dangers and had no proper advice from my doctor. Then I have been taking it on and off with extreme withdrawal symptoms (1 year of sleeping 1-2 hours/night and anxiety etc). For whatever reason i started taking them again last year and then got the advice to do a slow taper, although at that point I think I would have been alright to stop. Now, I am scared because i cannot go through the severe W/D again. I have a senior job and cant stop working, but this time I have the advice i need to taper, and at least i am aware of the dangers.I regret starting all of this altogether but it's too late now. I also suffer from many other health issues, and of course this is making it much worse. My insomnia is the worst of my symptoms and serious heart palpitations/panic attacks.

Hi Harmony33 :hug:  Welcome to Benzobuddies.

We are glad you found us.  aww, I know you’re scared, I was too, most of us are .  You are making the right decision!  Take your time, slow is the way to go, be patient and be positive.  We have members working through this, not everyone has a bad time.  Be confident, I know that you can do it and like me, you will come through it.  I am sorry you are dealing with other health issues as well.

Benzodiazepines should be tapered off slowly. The general tapering guidelines are to cut the daily dose by between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  Many need to taper slower than this.  It’s important to listen to your body , if you are feeling too symptomatic, we suggest that you slow that rate down. The aim is to keep any withdrawal symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides Tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads. You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you..

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Hi Harmony.  I found the three things you mentioned - panic, heart palpitations and insomnia to be the worst of the early symptoms.  Thank Gawd the panic didn't hang around forever.  At least this time you have more knowledge about what you're up against.  Good luck on your journey!