Brother just went through detox

[Br...]

My brother detoxed in a hospital from Klonopin and ended up in a psych hospital. He is now home and heavily medicated. Looking for suggestions and support what to expect

Hi Brotherhelp  :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies

We are always happy to welcome members who are supporting close ones going through benzo withdrawal.  Thank you for being there for your brother, family support, and support from people who understand is important.  The nature of benzos is that they are best tapered slowly, at a suggested rate of 5/10% every 10/14 days.  Detox places always tend to take people off far too quickly, and withdrawal symptoms can be very severe. 

Withdrawal can be one of the most challenging and frightening experiences that a person can go through, it takes courage, and patience.  We do recover eventually but, It can take a long time for the central nervous system to heal.  Distraction will help, its not easy, he will get through this but it will take time.

I would suggest that you check out the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

I will leave a few useful links

Professor Ashtons Manual

Cold Turkey Detox & Rapid Withdrawal Board

Post withdrawal recovery support board

Please feel free to ask questions, members can respond with the best information if they know your brothers medication history so please create a signature line listing medication and doses. Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

So he was to start an outpatient program that would monitor his medication and provide three hours of therapy a day. Tonight he was evaluated by a psychiatrist who said he needed to be in a psychiatric hospital because he has a pattern of depressive episodes and that it might not be the klonopin withdrawal. I am trying to do what is best for him, and starting with the hospital that detoxed him, nobody is providing the best route to go. He is now on trazadone to sleep, olanzepine, citalipram and another anti-psychotic. Has anyone else gone through this?

I am so sorry that your brother and family are going through this. If you have been in your brother's life over the years, you may have a better idea than a doctor what's going on with your brother. The things he is struggling with now, were they present before he started taking the drugs? Were they present before he detoxed? What was the reason for the detox?

Again, so sorry he is going through this, and, like magrita said, thank you for being there for him. No matter what happens, that is a priceless advantage for him to have going through this.