20 years and I’m getting off Klonopin

[...]

I’ve taken klonopin for 20 years. I’m in the process of getting off completely. My dosage was 2.5 mg a night. I’m down to .75 mg per night now. I’m extremely grateful and nervous at the same time. I am retired now and just want to be completely free of meds. So far it’s been very good. I’m here to try an learn from others through their experiences in getting off completely. I tried it 2 times in the past. Both times I was a mess. It’s been a month since I started tapering off. I appreciate all of you. Thanks for having (and helping) me.

Wow sounds just like my story!  Wishing you success.  You got to .75 very fast.  Are you going to go slower towards the end.  I slowed down a bit at .5 and am still at that point. Are you dry cutting the pills?  So great to hear it’s been good from 2.5 to now.👍

Ive taken klonopin for 20 years. Im in the process of getting off completely. My dosage was 2.5 mg a night. Im down to .75 mg per night now. Im extremely grateful and nervous at the same time. I am retired now and just want to be completely free of meds. So far its been very good. Im here to try an learn from others through their experiences in getting off completely. I tried it 2 times in the past. Both times I was a mess. Its been a month since I started tapering off. I appreciate all of you. Thanks for having (and helping) me.

Hello A1A :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community, well done on your decision to taper off these drugs!  The nature of benzodiazepines is they need a slow taper!  don't try to rush it, you will get plenty of support here. The rule of thumb is to reduce the daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  It’s okay to go slower than this, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Yes this site is a great source of information to help you

get through healing, always remember you are healing

some people use the word withdrawal but healing is more

accurate. With each reduction the brain sets itself to how it

Was post benzos. Just as anything broken (and these drugs to

change the chemistry of our entire nervous system) it heals)

The common thread running through the message boards is go slow ,

don’t reduce till your fairly stable.

Read the post on here About what happens to your brain

while tapering.  You can do it, I did and never thought I could.

The body has a wonderful ability to heal itself, just give it time 

Wow, I’m so glad I’m here because I was planning on being completely off by the middle of next month. My reason is that for some reason I haven’t been struggling with it much. I actually stopped 10 mg of Valium when I started the tapering off of klonopin a month ago. I get a lot of exercise every day and I think that may be what is different for me. So thank you all for sharing a bit with me. I’m going to read up on some of the links provided. I should also add to my profile about my history too.

What does dry cutting mean?

It means to cut pills with a razor blade or pill cutter, instead of adding them to liquid to precisely measure out doses, which is called liquid titration.

Wow, I’m so glad I’m here because I was planning on being completely off by the middle of next month. My reason is that for some reason I haven’t been struggling with it much. I actually stopped 10 mg of Valium when I started the tapering off of klonopin a month ago. I get a lot of exercise every day and I think that may be what is different for me. So thank you all for sharing a bit with me. I’m going to read up on some of the links provided. I should also add to my profile about my history too.

I started a cardio kickboxing class 3 months into my taper and it was the best thing I could have ever done for myself. Thankfully, I've had a mild enough taper/withdrawal/recovery experience to be able to consistently go 3-4x/wk. It's my new anti-depressant for sure!