Updose

[An...]

Unfortunately I've been taken to psych emergency b y my family and I'm under observation.

Im still at 0.7 and holding. Updose to get out of here alive?

Yikes. In earlier post I noted started at 1 mg at start of December and somewhere around Feb 10 was at .19 and found that was too fast. I have updosed to .3 and plan to stay for awhile. Your taper was quite fast from my  single experience and that suggested by others on one of your threads.

See what psych emrg docs say?? Hopefully they can advise best care for you and you get through this soon. Support from afar!

My husband and psych believes i have a delusion about withdrawal and  wants me to stop the ativan. They are here to investigate my ativan delusions, that the symptoms i feel are somatized. I hope I can get out of here without drugs. I'm allowed to hold my 0.7 dose so far.

Unfortunately I've been taken to psych emergency b y my family and I'm under observation.

Im still at 0.7 and holding. Updose to get out of here alive?

Hello Anxiousmama,

My heart goes out to you!  I wish you relief from the pain & suffering.

If you intuitively do not want to updose, Professor Ashton concurs.  Here's what she has to say...

"Updosing during withdrawal? Some people hit a "sticky patch" during the course of benzodiazepine withdrawal. In many cases, staying on the same dose for a longer period (not more than a few weeks) before resuming the withdrawal schedule allows them to overcome this obstacle. However, increasing the dose until a longed-for plateau of 'stability' arrives is not a good strategy. The truth is that one never 'stabilises' on a given dose of benzodiazepine. The dose may be stable but withdrawal symptoms are not. It is better to grit one's teeth and continue the withdrawal. True recovery cannot really start until the drug is out of the system.

Pharmacologically, neither reinstating nor updosing is really rational. If withdrawal symptoms are still present, it means that the GABA/benzodiazepine receptors have not fully recovered (see above). Further benzodiazepines cause further down-regulation, strengthen the dependence, prolong withdrawal, delay recovery and may lead to protracted symptoms. In general, the longer the person remains on benzodiazepines the more difficult it is to withdraw. On the whole, anyone who remained benzodiazepine-free, or has remained on the same dose, for a number of weeks or months would be ill-advised to start again or to increase dosage. It would be better to devote the brain to solving individual symptoms and to finding sources of advice and support. Advice about how to deal with individual symptoms is given in the Manual (Chapter 3)."  https://www.benzo.org.uk/ashsupp11.htm

Perhaps you could share this with your husband and doctor in defense of you opting to hold your ground at .07mg.

I wish you peace & healing.

xo,

sierra  :smitten:

I wonder if sometimes the taper rate exceeds the GABA recovery rate and that holding to synchronize the two and let GABA recovery catch up is best? I opted to back up a bit as have read the last 20% taper has to be even slower than first  80% and that is where I hit a bit of a wall. Maybe let the GABA recovery catch up and then really reduce taper rate. Will see if right decision for me.

I would listen to psych dr and spouse as have all the info and history and able to support through this. Will be interested in course of action taken.

Hang in there anxiousmama. Better soon!!

Thanks.

I'm not that bad but the psych believes I'm somatizing my symptoms and have to under observation to see if I have another condition altogether,  possibly related to fahrs.. But the space seems nice and friendly and people seem to taper here. The nurse believes me.

Hang in my friend. I can see where this drug can cause the somatizing [had to look that up :-)].

You are in a good place with support from your spouse and the dr and nurse. Trust them. You will get through this. You can do this.

At .07 almost there!! Deep breaths!! Deep breaths!! Listen to the dr and your spouse and nurse.