Author Topic: How to adapt to your new self/lifestyle.  (Read 483 times)

[Buddie]

How to adapt to your new self/lifestyle.
« on: February 18, 2019, 01:02:58 pm »
As I taper down each day and my head becomes less fogged the reality check hits and Iím left with the every daunting fact that I have alienated myself these past many months to a point where my comfort level and normalcy was being sheltered and drugged away from truly living life and the outside world 🌎, how does one truly adjust to bring themselves back to that beautiful world out there when theyíve become so use to their abnormal comforts of isolation and loneliness yet secretly want to be productive and part of everyday society again? I have very little family support and donít have the courage to just walk up and join a community group. Ughhh idk. Life was much more simpler when my brain could relax and not over stimulated over common everyday simple things, how did all you ex hermits here learn to be free again? Just curious thatís all? P.s.....one of my biggest hurdles is Iím very ashamed of what I have become and lost these past two years that I have real troubles trying to put myself back out there, I literally went from a good job with healthy relationships to being alone and not working etc....stupid scary decisions
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: How to adapt to your new self/lifestyle.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 01:38:37 pm »
Good question.  I haven't really taken any steps towards socializing much, outside of my immediate family.  Making new friends seems really daunting.  I did try getting it touch with some friends I had before, or I think I had before, just haven't seen them in a while. That was hit or miss, mostly miss, so far. 

I honestly feel like I get sick and feel poorly too many days to try and commit to anything new, though I sort of wish someone would invite me to something. 
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 01:44:48 pm »
Yeah myself too, tried calling my old so called friends however they just kept bringing up past and asking if Iím down for drinking and getting high etc....told them that part of my life is done with, so I guess Iím a nut shell where they my true friends anyway, they didnít stick by my side through the thin. Just got to develop new friends thatís all. Real friends too not virtual friends on here lol no offence BB.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 01:48:26 pm »
This is a great question, Nick, and you articulated it so well, which i cannot seem to do at present.  Ugh, indeed.

I keep asking myself these same questions over and over.  Maybe I just need to stop and keep pushing forward, but I feel so disconnected that I worry that I donīt know what my own limitations are anymore, and I often get caught on the seesaw of not knowing if I cannot accept my limitations or if I am selling myself short.  I [...] this makes sense.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 01:52:35 pm »
The biggest fear is the fear of the unknown and as humans we automatically progress back to our infant tendencies where we felt safe n protected. We need to face the new n unknown and put ourselves out there, but trust me lol Iím all talk no action truthfully Iím scared as shit. Likely more than most. (Sorry for cursing)

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 01:57:21 pm »
Yes, indeed.  I realize that I can figure all of this out intellectually and employ coping mechanism, but I cannot control the symptoms.  I have surrendered to that.

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 02:44:20 pm »
Yeah myself too, tried calling my old so called friends however they just kept bringing up past and asking if Iím down for drinking and getting high etc....told them that part of my life is done with, so I guess Iím a nut shell where they my true friends anyway, they didnít stick by my side through the thin. Just got to develop new friends thatís all. Real friends too not virtual friends on here lol no offence BB.

Well, I am terribly offended  :D :laugh:[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 05:46:15 pm »
Following.

Something I'm wanting to work on, as well. Where/how to begin after such a long time and losing so many connections?

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 08:04:13 pm »
Hey Nick and everybody...This subject is one that is under represented on this site.  It is tough to address or talk about since it is not a physical symptom ,a precise tapering schedule or a supplement.  It is so difficult to describe in concrete terms.  Heather Ashton speaks to this subject of emotional and psychological trauma due to benzo withdrawal. She doesn't have answers but great observations of the devastating effects.  This consequence of this benzo beast scares me the most.  I am watching my life melt away while I wait in isolation for symptoms to recede enough to live again.  How do I repair the broken relationships and re-enter my life?  The anxiety produced through this loss of self increases my symptoms ten fold.

I would like to see a major thread addressing this emotional trauma.  I think this loss of self is 75% of the healing that needs to occur.  We need to look at this now...no matter where you are at.  I am a few months out and see that I am losing everything.  This doesn't have to be.  There is a lot of knowledgeable and insightful people on this site.  Who can help with this???

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 08:20:26 pm »
Nick,
You stated the issue very well!  I couldnít have stated it any better.  You seem like a very insightful person. 

[...]