I just got my first ever panic attack

[Fa...]

I keep getting insane panic attacks. Oddly enough I never had serious anxiety, my benzo use stemmed from a desire to escape addictively I suppose. I wanted to "feel good" and that I did. Now that I'm lowering and coming out of the fog my mental state is starting to rapidly deteriorate. I think I may be tapering too fast, as I'm hitting both opoid and benzo tapers simultaneously. I've switched from "scramble" heroin to suboxone (long lasting opoid used for detox and maintenance I will not be staying on them long) and I've actually scored an "emergency valium detox protocol script" from my doc. As my xanax were pressed and bought off the interwebs I really dont know their exact dosing. I speculate they're around 4mg each, (as they're advertised) but they may even be more than that. The valium script was given to me by my doctor because I brought one of the "fake" xanax in to see if he could test it, he would not. But he was sold on me needing help (thank God I'm amazed he didnt see me as a drug seeking addict) I am to take 60 mg valium daily PRN(he left it up to me to determine when to take them with the exception of all at once lol). I was kind of surprised the doctor took me on my word about the xanax bars, as they are exact replicas of the yellow generic bars (usually 2mg). He did examine it, and noticed the lettering isn't as like pronounced as it should be, he really gave me the benefit of the doubt here.

I think I'm set up really well here, my doctor gave me a 14 day supplys worth of valium, at the previously stated doses, we are dropping next visit. I'm sick as a lab monkey from the opoids but the benzos haven't even hit. Anybody have advice on how to handle this? Should I ride out the opoid detox with the assistance of benzos or follow through and just bang out both detoxs together? I'm really stuck in the looping thoughts and riddled with fear about how bad this will be. Now that the fog is gone(ish) it's starting to hit me, I realize just how bad of a situation I'm in. I'm really not even concerned with the opoid detox as suboxone makes it pretty bearable. I suppose the valiums will help greatly as well. Again any insight, opinions, or even just a chat is greatly appreciated right now.

-fancyjosh

Hey Josh,

I'm going to start by letting you know, I am not currently a registered medical professional. I am probably not the best person here who can help you in this situation.

From my understanding, those who use both an opiate and benzo, tend to go off the opiate first, without any kind of benzo taper.

Once off of the opiate then discuss with your doctor a plan to taper from the benzo. The most important thing is not to substitute anything with the tapered dose of opiate, such as Alcohol, other illicit drugs, and most importantly, more benzos.

Again, I am sure others can give you better insight but I noticed no one knowledgeable on the situation has been through here yet and you could probably use some sort of answer!

Best wishes!

M

I keep getting insane panic attacks. Oddly enough I never had serious anxiety, my benzo use stemmed from a desire to escape addictively I suppose. I wanted to "feel good" and that I did. Now that I'm lowering and coming out of the fog my mental state is starting to rapidly deteriorate. I think I may be tapering too fast, as I'm hitting both opoid and benzo tapers simultaneously. I've switched from "scramble" heroin to suboxone (long lasting opoid used for detox and maintenance I will not be staying on them long) and I've actually scored an "emergency valium detox protocol script" from my doc. As my xanax were pressed and bought off the interwebs I really dont know their exact dosing. I speculate they're around 4mg each, (as they're advertised) but they may even be more than that. The valium script was given to me by my doctor because I brought one of the "fake" xanax in to see if he could test it, he would not. But he was sold on me needing help (thank God I'm amazed he didnt see me as a drug seeking addict) I am to take 60 mg valium daily PRN(he left it up to me to determine when to take them with the exception of all at once lol). I was kind of surprised the doctor took me on my word about the xanax bars, as they are exact replicas of the yellow generic bars (usually 2mg). He did examine it, and noticed the lettering isn't as like pronounced as it should be, he really gave me the benefit of the doubt here.

I think I'm set up really well here, my doctor gave me a 14 day supplys worth of valium, at the previously stated doses, we are dropping next visit. I'm sick as a lab monkey from the opoids but the benzos haven't even hit. Anybody have advice on how to handle this? Should I ride out the opoid detox with the assistance of benzos or follow through and just bang out both detoxs together? I'm really stuck in the looping thoughts and riddled with fear about how bad this will be. Now that the fog is gone(ish) it's starting to hit me, I realize just how bad of a situation I'm in. I'm really not even concerned with the opoid detox as suboxone makes it pretty bearable. I suppose the valiums will help greatly as well. Again any insight, opinions, or even just a chat is greatly appreciated right now.

-fancyjosh

MMMoon probs sums it up pretty well all said n done..  :)

As you know, one will affect the other...  I found my level of opiate WD increased (tolerance aside) as I reduced benzo... and Vice versa... (But then I started again from a 15 month protracted opiate damage position at one point)... Sometimes I wonder if one could cross over from one to the other..?? Though this isnt a suggestion... I guess I was inadvertently heading that way myself at one point...

As to speed of reduction, I think this is where the terms Addiction and Physical Dependance play a bit more of a role than perhaps normally.. Depends a bit on where one sits on that one...

I left till last, the med that was most significant, had caused the most damage, and was entrenched in my system... I want my body to have a clean and clear run at it, -as per SX... 

Depending on situation, this could easily be a benzo or opiate... But in general terms, yes, probs get rid of the opiate first...

I dont think there are any hard n fast rules though... I could also make the case that a combined taper could have helped... But that one is a stretch from the "norm" too...

The general advice I got from the "oldies" was Opiate first (or one at a time).. -Stabilise as best possible over a few months, Then a SX guided benzo taper... The Idea being to do the majority of healing or adjusting during the taper period, and without major "shock" to the system...

The take home being... Keep it as simple as possible, but avoid "short cuts"...  :)

I think you have a much better idea of whats going on than I did when I started, So I think you will do well putting something together and adjusting it to suit if needed...

Best wishes

-and sorry about the "clunky" writing..  Just general thoughts not advice as per your situation.. sorry..

:)

I have calmed down greatly, the anxiety got the best of me and I called the doctor up. He admitted I was a difficult case and he was hesitant to help as he knew my opoid use was that of illegal means (back when I was using heroin) and now I'm stabilizing on suboxone he says he has much more "wiggle room". He agrees opoids are the "quicker, less bothersome one to go" so let that go first, then benzo comes later. He said we will do WEEKLY visits now, as getting out can be great, as well as wanting to physically check on me. I have a lot of faith in this doctor, hes proving to be an invaluable resource in this journey.

One thing I want to mention, I have added a heavy indica into my "drug use" if you can consider a little weed a drug. Heres where the problem lie, I live in a state where medical marijuana is a thing, so even though I personally dont have a prescription for it, I'm allowed to have it in my urinalysis. Those in states where this can be an issue obviously dont do it, you will get kicked off your taper. But if it is an option, my anxiety most importantly drops substantially. I get analgesic effects as well lower back pain restless legs it doesn't kill the pain, it just sort of numbs it. I can eat and hold things down (in combination with imodium good stuff over the counter anti diarreah). I have heard paradoxical effects are almost common with weed and anxiety/panic attacks. I will get the occasional panic attack on weed (maybe due to rapid heartbeat?) But generally I put on this gif of a circle filling up, as it fills up you breath in then you hold then the circle shrinks and you breath out. Super simple breathing excersize, it works for me idk. Showers also are a heavensend. I'm new to anxiety like I stated, but it seems logical thinking, and acceptance are the only thing that brings them down. That can be really difficult when you honestly wholeheartedly believe you're going to drown if you get in the shower.

I'm having crying spells all types of weird ass neurological cognitive misfires. But I tell myself THIS IS NORMAL. This is the most normal response my body has had in a longgg time. I really hope I'm suffering enough for everyone out there and nobody else has to feel it like this. It can be overwhelming and rough. Thanks for all the replies I will throw updates every few days at least :) I haven't lowered any dosing I'm still seriously adjusting. But I feel I'm kinda turning the corner.