Just Wondering About Long-Term Dependence

[CA...]

I have been on oxazepam for 20 years.  I am now 70 years old. 

So, I was wondering if this long-term use can be worse (or not) than relatively short-term use.  Any experience out there ... I would love to read your input. On someone's signature I read that the person c/t on 20 years of xanax.  I can't even imagine that, but kudos to him or her for doing so.

I'm starting my liquid titration tomorrow and am hoping for the best.  I've had waves and windows since December 15 and some of the sxs were absolutely horrendous where I almost called 911. I'm sure they would have given be xanax or ativan, so that would certainly defeat my purpose. My age, too, probably effects me differently than a lot of younger people, but that's okay.  But, I know I was tapering too fast and I'm learning not to do so, hence the slower liquid taper.  The windows really do come and that gives me much hope that one day toward the end of this year, I'll be through this benzo hell.

I want to thanks waves and builder helping me figure out the liquid titration.  You two are awesome and so appreciated. 

CAgirl - I don't think there is an answer about how long one took the pills in relation to recovery. I took Valium for 14 months to sleep and have a friend that took is for 2 months and we are both doing a DLMT and both feel the same way. And he is 10 years younger than me.

I think a slow taper is key. Remember we are healing as we taper down. Don't forget that.

(Builder and Waves are the BEST)

Thank you.  I was hoping someone would say that and you did.  I believe it, too.  Age and how long probably don't matter at all.  It's just a hard one to kick but slowly, I've discovered from this site, is the key.  Yes, somewhere I read that even with sxs, we need to keep remembering that we're healing.

Have a great rest of the day.

I just jumped Valium .O4 mg 4 days ago. I’m in a horrible depression anyway. It’s not from the Valium. Although thst didn’t help. I’m only taking 6 mg of remeron for sleep.

Hello CAGirl,

I had the same fears as you: my age (69) and the real long time on benzos (40!). Now I'm hopefully off since almost 3 months...

Before tapering I was afraid of a terrible impact of symptoms in my daily life, so I kept protracting the starting date.

But, do you know what happened? Those symptoms happened to be not THAT terrible and they were bearable...

They were not pleasant of course, sometimes VERY uncomfortable, but I could handle my family and my work life (yes) quite good...

So you see  you can be my age and a long time benzos dependend and that do not make things worse...

My best to you!

I just jumped Valium .O4 mg 4 days ago. I’m in a horrible depression anyway. It’s not from the Valium. Although thst didn’t help. I’m only taking 6 mg of remeron for sleep.

Good morning, Hoping4help,

I do hope this day is a good one for you. That's great that you're off the valium and trust you'll feel better as each day passes.  I read in you signature about valium agitating you.  I was just thinking the other day that with less benzo mgs in my system, I don't seem as agitated.  Amazing.  Now, that's not to say I'm having some really rough days, but it's not agitation.

I only use 3mg of melatonin when I'm having difficulty sleeping but, so far, I haven't used it too often.  I'm hoping to get off my anti-depressant, but my main priority at this time is the benzo.  One thing at a time, right? 

Hello CAGirl,

I had the same fears as you: my age (69) and the real long time on benzos (40!). Now I'm hopefully off since almost 3 months...

Before tapering I was afraid of a terrible impact of symptoms in my daily life, so I kept protracting the starting date.

But, do you know what happened? Those symptoms happened to be not THAT terrible and they weren't unbearable...

They were not pleasant of course, sometimes VERY uncomfortable, but I could handle my family and my work life (yes) quite good...

So you see  you can be my age and a long time benzos dependend and that do not make things worse...

My best to you!

Thank you so much.  Wow!  You definitely give me much hope since you were on something stronger than mine, all the years on them, and we're nearly the same age. And, you did it quite fast. I'm so happy, happy for you.  :thumbsup:

I am pleased that I'm down 15mg a day from 45 to 30 and today, I started my liquid daily taper.  I'm really excited about this and so ready for it to be over.  Patience is not one of my virtues, but I know I must be for this to work.  :angel:

I've had some rough days where I was coming unhinged not to mention the other symptoms, but I dropped from 30mg to 25mg and that was not wise, hence the reason for the safer and slower way.  Thank God for this site and the helpful and positive people.

I must admit that I don't think I'd succeed if I were still working.  I retired in June and don't know why I waited until December to get this started.  I think it was just frightening.

So glad you posted and wish you all the best always. 

On day 5 . It’s not that different although my brain is fried from all the drugs I was taken off and on the last year.i am waiting for all the horrible symptoms to hit. I’m anxious all the time and depressed but I’m not sure if that’s the benzo or depression.

On day 5 . It’s not that different although my brain is fried from all the drugs I was taken off and on the last year.i am waiting for all the horrible symptoms to hit. I’m anxious all the time and depressed but I’m not sure if that’s the benzo or depression.

I am sorry you're not feeling well.  I sometimes find myself waiting for symptoms and that's not good for us.  If we distract ourselves, I think we make them much easier to handle if and when they do occur.  Yes, they do occur, I know that, but some are truly manageable, albeit not pleasant.  It's worth it to one day reach the finish line.

I would personally  continue with the meds, age definitely makes things worse, plus long term usage....bBut it’s up to you.

I wish you the best

Consider it very well

• 10 months later...

Ha, I don't know why my list of subjects comes up with ones I never saw before??  Yes, I am a poster child for old and long use and been incapacitated for 3 years and not off... not really much lower at all.  Stuck.

I too am wondering if staying on is what I need to do.

It is harder as you get older altho some people will say you are wiser and so it is not harder.  In my experience it is bad when you were on them longer than you were off them, as it were.  JMO

Hey Barbara Ave,

I have thought that recently, too, but I just read the below in the 60 over support group from one who cold turkeyed!  It is helping me to keep on keeping on.

"Listen up, friends: No matter how bad you feel tonight, next week could be SO much better. Benzo wd is not "linear." It is not predictable. All of you will have ups and downs, and moments when you just do not think you will heal, but you will."

I know your long-term use is 'worse' than mine, but I'd hate to see you waste your progress.  Slow is okay.  And, there a lot of us oldsters on this forum and so many are making it.  Hey, who knows?  We may live another 20 years and if so, I'd like to be benzo free. I can tell you one thing.  I never would have been able to do what I'm doing before I retired.  No way on earth!  So, that's a plus for us oldies.  :thumbsup:

Had I known how very sick I would become (who can know such  a thing?)  would have tried to set up support and live in a place that is large enough to do crafts, have some nice windows, have a few amenitites (dish washer).  I'm in an old place that needs painting, remodeling, and will get none of it.  Depressing.

No, I cannot do it alone, alasThink if could use pottery wheel or sewing machine would be helpful, but way too small.  Feel stuck in these walls.

BarbaraAve,

I have a remodeled home which I had a big part in making the improvements, but that was before my taper. Worked my tail off, actually, in my old age. Anyway, I still get down in the dumps, so not sure about if surroundings help or not.  I don't have any support system either.  And, I don't feel like doing anything, but force myself when I can.  Getting outside really helps, short walks or just sitting in the sun.  And, that sunshine is so good if one is depressed.

CAgirl,

I am  looking for some rhyme or reason to this whole mess... 

How long you on benzos?

Wondering if you did well on them for a long time  (vs the people who pretty quickly felt crappy on them) ?

Any autoimmune diseases?

I am just looking for some rhyme or reason to this whole mess... 

Thanks!

CAgirl,

I am  looking for some rhyme or reason to this whole mess... 

How long you on benzos?

Wondering if you did well on them for a long time  (vs the people who pretty quickly felt crappy on them) ?

Any autoimmune diseases?

I am just looking for some rhyme or reason to this whole mess... 

Thanks!

No, no autoimmune diseases.

I've been on benzos about 21 years now.  Yes, they did help, but I never felt really well on them.  Mine is short-acting and I guess I can pretty much say I've had the unpleasant craving feelings all this time between doses.  Not every day, but a lot of the time.  So, I guess what I'm going through in the taper is similar, albeit worse for sure.