FOR people using mortar and pestle and a scale

[CM...]

For those of you using a mortar and pestle and a scale to weigh your dose, do you find this way to be accurate for you? I’m concerned about the powder not being evenly distributed once it’s crushed. Should that be a concern? Thanks.

For those of you using a mortar and pestle and a scale to weigh your dose, do you find this way to be accurate for you? I’m concerned about the powder not being evenly distributed once it’s crushed. Should that be a concern? Thanks.

The drug is not uniformly distributed in the tablet.  That's a major shortcoming of scrapin/cutting/filing.  Its actually possible (but NOT certain) that crushing and stirring will make the powder MORE uniform.

Think about combining a tablespoon of sugar in a cup of flour.  The more you agitate it, the more mixed in it will become.

Liquid assure uniform distribution!  ;)

Hi CMZ18 and builder. This is essentially my question too. I am going to soon start tapering 1.5 mg of Kolonopin and I am going to use the mortar and pestle. But once we have the crushed powder how do we consume it?

I am thinking I put it in a jar with 300 ml of water and shake that and drink it but I am not sure. Does the amount of water matter?

I am thinking the amount of water doesn’t matter because only the amount of crushed Kolonopin matters and that I am just using water to drink it. Is that right?

This is about the same question that CMZ18 is asking. Can anyone please give a precise answer ?  Thank you!

CMZ18. I just learned that after we crush the correct dosage into powder lots of people found it best to just put that powder into a spoon of apple sauce or pudding. I am going to do that instead of water. I personally don’t think we have to worry about the powder being evenly distributed. I think all we have to worty about is crushing the correct amount and then consuming it however we choose. I am going to put it on a spoon of apple sauce. That seems easiest to me. I hope this answers your question.

CMZ18. I just learned that after we crush the correct dosage into powder lots of people found it best to just put that powder into a spoon of apple sauce or pudding. I am going to do that instead of water. I personally don’t think we have to worry about the powder being evenly distributed. I think all we have to worty about is crushing the correct amount and then consuming it however we choose. I am going to put it on a spoon of apple sauce. That seems easiest to me. I hope this answers your question.

you can also buy empty pill capsules on amazon and fill those up  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Here is a reddit post written by someone who works in pharmaceutical manufacturing. FWIW they say that the drug is evenly distributed throughout the pill and describe how this is done.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/gr4re/is_medication_equally_distributed_among_an_entire/

FWIW, the FDA disagrees.

Would you care to elaborate?

"...if a tablet is FDA-approved to be split, this information will be printed in the “HOW SUPPLIED” section of the professional label insert and in the patient package insert. Also, the tablet will be scored with a mark indicating where to split it.

If a tablet does not include such information in the label, FDA has not evaluated it to ensure that the two halves of a split tablet are the same in weight or drug content or work the same way in the body as the whole tablet. You should discuss with your healthcare professional whether to split this type of tablet."

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/EnsuringSafeUseofMedicine/ucm184666.htm

"After conducting internal research on the practice, the FDA expressed concerns over variations in tablet content, weight, disintegration or dissolution, and stability when split. All could easily impact whether or not patients receive the intended dose when dividing a single tablet. "

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/fda-takes-on-unsafe-pill-splitting

1)  Unless a tablet is specifically identified as having uniform distribution (most are not), there is no assurance of uniformity.

2)  Even the presence of a score mark does NOT insure uniform distribution.

Here is a reddit post written by someone who works in pharmaceutical manufacturing. FWIW they say that the drug is evenly distributed throughout the pill and describe how this is done.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/gr4re/is_medication_equally_distributed_among_an_entire/

FWIW, the FDA disagrees.

Would you care to elaborate?

"...if a tablet is FDA-approved to be split, this information will be printed in the “HOW SUPPLIED” section of the professional label insert and in the patient package insert. Also, the tablet will be scored with a mark indicating where to split it.

If a tablet does not include such information in the label, FDA has not evaluated it to ensure that the two halves of a split tablet are the same in weight or drug content or work the same way in the body as the whole tablet. You should discuss with your healthcare professional whether to split this type of tablet."

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/EnsuringSafeUseofMedicine/ucm184666.htm

"After conducting internal research on the practice, the FDA expressed concerns over variations in tablet content, weight, disintegration or dissolution, and stability when split. All could easily impact whether or not patients receive the intended dose when dividing a single tablet. "

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/fda-takes-on-unsafe-pill-splitting

1)  Unless a tablet is specifically identified as having uniform distribution (most are not), there is no assurance of uniformity.

2)  Even the presence of a score mark does NOT insure uniform distribution.

Interesting. I'm sure there is a wide range of practices amongst manufacturers. This individual said that the manufacturer he works for randomly tests scored pills from each batch to make sure they are split 50/50.

I was a consulting engineer for a number of years, and I did some work in 2 of the world's largest pharma mfgrs (Merck and GSK).  I certainly don't claim to be an expert in pharma mfgr, but I do know the basic procedures of batching and tabletting.

There are several different mixing/tabletting procedures, and the distribution uiformity varies from one method to another.  For meds and doses where precision and dose uniformity are important, there is a procedure that can optimize that.  But it involves more steps, and is more costly.  Benzo are NOT one of those meds.

Basically, most dry meds, like benzos, are mixed in a process not much different than mixing the dry ingredients to bake a cake...put all the ingredients in a hopper and mix them up.

Lets say your baking a cake, and it calls for 3 dry ingredients, 2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 tsp baking powder.  Now after you combine all the ingredients, if you could check each tsp of that mix,  do you really think that each tsp of that 3.02 cups of powder will contain exactly 1/3 tsp (.0067 cup) of baking powder?

Probably not!  ;)

I’m thinking of using the dry micro taper method for V. When I’ve made up capsules from leftover V fragments I always mix up the powder to *hopefully* attain a more even distribution. However as builder mentioned that’s not a guarantee. I’ve only taken a few of my fragment based capsules but didn’t notice any ill  effects and I consider myself fairly sensitive to meds.

I’m thinking of using the dry micro taper method for V. When I’ve made up capsules from leftover V fragments I always mix up the powder to *hopefully* attain a more even distribution. However as builder mentioned that’s not a guarantee. I’ve only taken a few of my fragment based capsules but didn’t notice any ill  effects and I consider myself fairly sensitive to meds.

Anybody that's been in BB very long knows I'm an advocate of DLMT.  It is absolutely the easiest, most consistent,and most reliable way to make small dose decrements.

But for most folks, a dry/scale taper is good enough.  If that's what folks choose to do, I have no dispute with that.