One Year Today

[Mo...]

Hi Everyone,

One year ago, I took my last (liquid) dose of Klonopin. The tapering process is something I will never forget.  I was bedridden, on leave from work and seemed to have every w/d symptom possible. This board was my primary support place because you had great words of encouragement, insights, and even humor when I needed it most.  I thank you all for being in my "virtual" corner.

Today I appreciate all the little things that happen in 24 hours such as the wonderful smell of coffee, being able to walk into a store without feeling dizzy, going out to eat, reading and being able to focus while reading a newspaper each day, sleeping through the night and just being able to sit up an laugh with family and friends.

While I choose to look forward, I would be lying if I didn't say that each day I also look back at what I went through.  Perhaps I do this so I appreciate the here and now more, perhaps because the tapering was scarring, perhaps because I am proud of what I have accomplished.....perhaps for a variety of reasons each day.

For those reading this looking for hope - there is hope.  It does get better.  It is rewarding.  Know that I was barely hanging on during my taper and now many of the symptoms are gone. 

So I waited one full year before I posted on this board.  One year ago on 2/16 I stopped Klonopin.  I did it. 

Best wishes to all.....

Oh, what a lovely post to read! You said it so well, so beautifully. I feel very much as you do now.

In fact today, I re-lived a particularly weird moment in WD. In the first couple days after I wnt CT off benzos and ADs, I was hallucinating. I have owned a black Vornado table fan for years. I hallucinated a nurse "hiding behind that fan." She was very real and I can describe her even now, almost 7 years later. She was put there to monitor me, because I was sure that the men in white coats were coming to drag me back to Detox. LOL! I was so paranoid back then and truly insane for a while.

But we do heal from this crazy stuff. It just takes patience and faith in what you read here. Good for you for getting through this and being realistic about it all. I am too.

east

Congratulations! Wonderful post! Im glad you are on the other side and enjoying the little things in life once again. Many people don't realize just how big the little things are unless you've suffered through benzo withdrawal. I am 4 months out and healing and starting to experience the joy of the little things in life once again. Glad you are feeling better!

Thanks, I needed your words today and every day of this journey. I’m almost at the end of my very slow taper, I still have tachycardia, constipation, and weight loss, today i also have a headache...but regardless of all this I’m better than I was a year ago. Looking forward to the future and trying to live one day at a time. Congratulations!