Can’t shower/can’t handle anything anyone have this?

[To...]

Ok ever since I’ve been in my setback I cannot showed causs I can’t handle it,it causes major anxiety.

Any type of stimulation I cannot handle,does anyone else have it this bad? Like in my chest and it’s like I can’t handle the adrenaline,even trying to do very light lifting my body can’t handle it,I want to know how many people have had it or have it? Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
i also have this  the shower is a battle for me every time but i keep doing it at least ever 2 to 3 days  i do not do much beside eat and lay in bed 90 percent of day and sleep when im not watching movies or tv on my laptop

Yes, i suffer from severe heat intolerance ever since starting benzo's. 3 years off clonazepam and i still can't handle a hot shower or warm weather in general.

Heat triggers my orthostatic intolerance / POTS. My veins swell up like crazy and hurt, then my heart rate goes up, i feel dizzy and sick. The only think that then helps is to lay down in bed for the rest of the day with the airconditioning at the lowest setting.

Well I was healed for years and it all went away,so I’m guessing it will all go away once again.

It’s really hard to accept not being able to shower,quite scary to...this type of sensitivity is unbelievable.

Early in my taper I could not handle the water from shower hitting my skin.  Felt like needles.  It went away. 

Recently at drop to 1mg it happened again but was short lived. 

Don't know what it is about water but also (early in taper) felt rain was hitting my skin when there was no rain.  That was pretty short lived too. 

Dee

[2d...]

Im still prone to being super sensitive to everything, and its horrific, its an impossible feeling to explain to those who've never gone through this, too.

ive had a few weeks where it diminished a bit recently, and it was the relief of my life, but some exercise when i was tired totally blasted me back into super sensitive mode and its just awful. im so tired of this, its cruel to have to live like this. EVERYTHING sets me off, that panic, flight or fight feeling, yet totally exhausted.

im at work right now and im freakin dyin here, ugh....

im supposed to have a meeting in an hour and im like ughhh, i can barely stand being on the computer at my desk, let alone get up and go into a room with a few people.

the torture goes on and on.....

2 pieces to this:

1) Your nerves are hyper sensitive creating the physical pain your having. This will go away in time as that part of your brain restores balance to Glutamate and Gaba.. I had these same sensation in my entire body all the time. The bottom 1/2 of my body stopped like turning off a switch. Upper back and neck continue but 1/2 my body is free! Your's will go away too.

2) (the one you have control over and will help #1) If your not already, you must teach your brain that this isn't something you should kick into "flight" over. Each time it happens, you need to relate the pain back to the route cause. Withdraw. Once your brain knows this isn't a real problem, it will store these thoughts differently and eventually won't even alert you to them anymore. Desensitize-  Stand in the shower without the water on and walk yourself through this. Then shower for seconds doing the same. Our brains attach meaning, you must change that meaning. Mine was the TV, the bedroom, music, people, etc. It's all the same.

You will get better, hang in there....

couldn't bear it at all last year , it just was too uncomfortable

Now enjoying baths and almost at the end of my taper but not enjoying them everyday

2 pieces to this:

1) Your nerves are hyper sensitive creating the physical pain your having. This will go away in time as that part of your brain restores balance to Glutamate and Gaba.. I had these same sensation in my entire body all the time. The bottom 1/2 of my body stopped like turning off a switch. Upper back and neck continue but 1/2 my body is free! Your's will go away too.

2) (the one you have control over and will help #1) If your not already, you must teach your brain that this isn't something you should kick into "flight" over. Each time it happens, you need to relate the pain back to the route cause. Withdraw. Once your brain knows this isn't a real problem, it will store these thoughts differently and eventually won't even alert you to them anymore. Desensitize-  Stand in the shower without the water on and walk yourself through this. Then shower for seconds doing the same. Our brains attach meaning, you must change that meaning. Mine was the TV, the bedroom, music, people, etc. It's all the same.

Absolutely great advice.

[ef...]
I had also experienced it. Chest pain and heart palpitations while taking a shower. But it went away fortunately.

[2d...]

Yeah tcbull thats good stuff.

ive recently more than ever identified that man, though i definitely am super sensitive, i tend to naturally get hyper about alot of stuff, i mean before all this, to certain degrees, i raise my adrenaline naturally for even small things, and i notice even chill conversations with people lift me up very easily. i cant do too much about certain things with the heightened flight or fight, but im trying to chill out my responses to certain life events, all the little ones.

the shower my adrenaline lifts up just washing myself off in a hurry or whatever, i get in a little panic mode almost, just naturally, regardless of the benzo. now i try to keep my breath even keeled. now i recognize that hey, this is me actually getting myself a bot mor worked up over something than i should be. i realizemore than ever ive been like that my whole life.

we naturally anxious people really have to work on our responses to every life event.

also trying to respond TO the response itself if that makes sense, try to recognize when we are overly hyper and not let that in itself take us too far. that might not make sense lol, but anyway its where my thinking is at.

Most of the time, I'm just too tired to shower or don't feel like it. I mean like I really don't feel like it, so maybe it can be possible to confuse these feelings with benzo withdrawal since every thing feels mixed up in our heads. It is very difficult to shower much while on benzos because you are constantly turned upside down and exhausted and full of anxiety about everything which may feel like you are afraid of the water but there is more to it I'm thinking.

2 pieces to this:

I hope a lot of people read this, it's such a great idea for all those having issue with showers and there are quite a few :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Same problem with showers, so only take showers 2x weekly.  I start to feel real hyper, and later break out with severe itching and small hives.  My naturalpath said that sounds like chlorine allergy has developed with withdrawal somehow.  So she suggested a chlorine filter for the shower head.  Haven't done it yet, but I plan on it.

Totally understand.  I put it off when I am afraid I'll pass out in the tub.  Same with the bathing that I enjoy.  When I feel like I'm going to pass out......I just french bathe till I am strong enough to stand in the shower or sit in a bathtub.

I hate taking a shower!  Between the DR and skin numbness, I can't get it over fast enough! And with the DP I don't recognize my own body. Anxiety grows big about the whole experience... Developing lots of tolerance about this and not stressing about not being as clean as I used to be -- just wash up in the sink as best I can.

Stay strong.

I still have problem with this. I usually sit on the floor, so it feels a bit safer.

In the first year, the water felt like needles, but now it's better. So I understand exactly what you mean.