Made a stupid mistake of taking diazepam again...

[Gi...]

Hi,

I have been taking diazepam 10 mg in the past to sleep at night, for about half a year, and when I cold turkeyed, I reinstated at the same amount about 2 weeks later, and after a taper of a year, which was not easy, I fully recovered and could sleep again.

For about two years, I did not take diazepam, but recently I found an old strip of about 8 tablets and I started about five weeks ago with taking a quarter of a pill, so 2,5 mg, irregularly, so taking about 3 days in a row, then not for 2 days, and then again.

The 6th of February, I took my last tablet and since then, I have been experiencing horrible withdrawal symptoms, extreme agitation, heart palpitations, unable to lie down and unable to sleep at all, and since it is 10 days ago today, I wonder if my short time of taking it again and the small dosage of 2,5 mg, is worse than normal, also because I have a history with diazepam.

Also, I feel very stupid that I thought that taking occasionally wouldn't have an influence, I feel as horrible as I did 3 years ago... Would it be a good idea to reinstate? At 2,5 mg?

zDFSObb.png

Hello Girlamsterdam!

We are very glad that you found us!

Congratulations on being benzo free! Sorry you are having issues with Valium withdrawal symptoms. Some of us who are sensitive seem to have a more difficult time than others. It is quite common for folks to experience symptoms long after cessation. It can take some time for GABA receptors and CNS to full recover. You should continue to see symptoms slowly improve over time. Stay strong and hang in there...

I would like to suggest that you do some research on the various boards. Becoming well informed should better enable you to make difficult decisions as well as provide you with the tools you need for a successful recovery.  You will find many knowledgeable members who will support your efforts to remain benzo free. I have enclosed a few links below that may help you. Check them out!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Bella  :smitten:

Please take the time to tell us about your history by creating a signature:

For a direct link:

CLICK HERE --->

Create a Signature <--- CLICK HERE 

Links:

Professor Heather Ashton's

Taper Info:

Suggested reduction rate is 5% - 10% every 10 - 14 days 

Create Your Own Taper Plan  by Jim Hawk 

You-Tube step-by-step Tutorial Video

Other Tutorials:

Hi,

I have been taking diazepam 10 mg in the past to sleep at night, for about half a year, and when I cold turkeyed, I reinstated at the same amount about 2 weeks later, and after a taper of a year, which was not easy, I fully recovered and could sleep again.

For about two years, I did not take diazepam, but recently I found an old strip of about 8 tablets and I started about five weeks ago with taking a quarter of a pill, so 2,5 mg, irregularly, so taking about 3 days in a row, then not for 2 days, and then again.

The 6th of February, I took my last tablet and since then, I have been experiencing horrible withdrawal symptoms, extreme agitation, heart palpitations, unable to lie down and unable to sleep at all, and since it is 10 days ago today, I wonder if my short time of taking it again and the small dosage of 2,5 mg, is worse than normal, also because I have a history with diazepam.

Also, I feel very stupid that I thought that taking occasionally wouldn't have an influence, I feel as horrible as I did 3 years ago... Would it be a good idea to reinstate? At 2,5 mg?

From someone who went off K 9 years ago back to "needing" it again...I always wonder now, if I would have just given myself another week or two or three, to let the withdraw symptoms take hold and slowly go away.

I'm back on klonopin, sadly, and at the highest dose EVER.

My humble opinion would be:

If you can stand the horrible side effects just enough...keep it up. Unless it's a medical emergency, I personally will go through these feeling of absolute hell on earth if it's not SERIOUSLY affecting me.

I've just begun the taper process AGAIN. I hate it. I hate this drug is not banned.

You have been here before. You know what's about to happen and the hell it brings on the body and mind. Just be kind to yourself and if at all possible, feel the withdraw and get passed it. UNLESS it is just too intolerable. But I know you got this! Kick this med to the curb!

Feel better soon

Hi,

I am going to restart again as the symptoms are unbearable. I have a new job, and was fine in the last two years with absolutely no problems sleeping and no benzo needed, but some stress and the finding of an old strip of pills caused me to take 2,5 mg occasionally and in the last three weeks up to 06-02, when I had my last 2,5 mg, I took that dose about 3 to 4 times a week.

So altogether I am experiencing way more symptoms than I would expect based on the amount I have been taking... The problems and withdrawal symptoms started 3 days after my last dose. I cannot sleep at all anymore, am extremely anxious, trembling, and Monday I have to go to work again and I barely survived this week, with cognitive fogginess and extremely tired. Could this be a case of kindling? I took diazepam in the past for almost 2 years including the taper.

GirlAmsterdam -

Don't worry about "kindling" and the past. I would reinstate to a comfortable dose and do a slow taper. You will get off and heal. A lot of people have been in your shoes. You seem to be suffering from a cold turkey situation and I think a slow taper is the best solution. You did it once and succeeded and you can do it again.

We have your back! You WILL heal. And the taper probably doesn't have to be as long as you were not on benzos as long this time. Consider a DLMT (Daily Liquid Micro Taper) - check out the Titration board. There are a lot of wise members on there that will help you plan.

Hi,

I am going to restart again as the symptoms are unbearable. I have a new job, and was fine in the last two years with absolutely no problems sleeping and no benzo needed, but some stress and the finding of an old strip of pills caused me to take 2,5 mg occasionally and in the last three weeks up to 06-02, when I had my last 2,5 mg, I took that dose about 3 to 4 times a week.

So altogether I am experiencing way more symptoms than I would expect based on the amount I have been taking... The problems and withdrawal symptoms started 3 days after my last dose. I cannot sleep at all anymore, am extremely anxious, trembling, and Monday I have to go to work again and I barely survived this week, with cognitive fogginess and extremely tired. Could this be a case of kindling? I took diazepam in the past for almost 2 years including the taper.

Well, Only you know what's best.

Best of luck, and when I get to as low as a dose you're on, you can hold my hand.  :thumbsup:

Feel better Buddie

I started with a first 2,5 mg again yesterday night, slept OK, and feel better today because of the sleep, but am anxious and restless and have high heart rate (OK, not high, but I feel it very much). Tonight another 2,5 mg and probably the next couple of days.

I am wondering what kind of taper to do, to still be able to continue doing my work in an OK way, and without having too much withdrawal symptoms, but also not lasting too long.

I started with a first 2,5 mg again yesterday night, slept OK, and feel better today because of the sleep, but am anxious and restless and have high heart rate (OK, not high, but I feel it very much). Tonight another 2,5 mg and probably the next couple of days.

I am wondering what kind of taper to do, to still be able to continue doing my work in an OK way, and without having too much withdrawal symptoms, but also not lasting too long.

Welcome...

Just a thought...

Early Jan to early Feb.. Not too long, but sadly, obviously long enough... :( Can I assume you have about half your tablets left, for a daily dose of about 1.25v a day if averaged out..?

Im not sure how great you will get to feel once back on..?? Another question is how long to wait and see..?? It is a good sign that you have responded to reinstating quickly, but I wonder if a bit of a "front load" at 2.5v for a few days could be followed by a lower dose to see where you settle out for a subsequent taper.. Thus not undoing the last couple of weeks of none..?? This suggestion favours that everything will go pretty well..??.

How this plays out should help guide you as to what type of taper would be appropriate... You may stabilise well and be able to pill split quickly off, -or it may become more daily liquid titration territory...?? It should also give you an idea of what taper speed to guess at for a start...  (being low dose makes % a bit harder to guess at , Imo)

Its kinda a juggle between not wanting to be on too long, and wanting to ensure you can function for work etc..

Anyways, just thoughts that you may wish to ask more about on various boards here..

For now I guess its getting as stable as possible, and getting off to work tomorrow.. -I wish you the best...

:)

Stabilize first, find the absolute "weakest" benzo you can that works, and find the absolute lowest dose that works. Generally valium is a good go to, for tapering anyway. There are conversion charts, if you're unable to find one let me know I can link the most reliable source I know, as these conversion charts are mainly conducted through professional speculation and alcohol withdrawal "expiriments" essentially. The thing I've learned with tapering is this. It's a slow, depressingly slow process. You have to be in it for the long haul. Commitment cannot go understated. I hope to bring even the slightest bit of comfort through this experience, if nothing else I know how grim the situation looks, but there can be light at the end of the tunnel. That is if you "flip the switch" so to speak. Again let me know about the conversion charts, as it's an incredibly interesting bit of theoretical science, if nothing else.

Haha, I am indeed already on diazepam, and I just ran 16 km (10 EM) again with a normal speed and strength, as I feel so much better today after taking only one dose of 2,5 mg. I feel almost normal again, not such in agony as yesterday and certainly able to act normal again. I am going to stay a few days on 2,5 mg and will see after that how things work, and depending on that I will start my taper either going to 2 mg, or more slowly...

Thanks for the advices!

I went running yesterday, went out for a dinner and after that, I went to bed and then my heart started racing again and it has been all night. I haven't slept a wink and am at work now, but feel so stressed and awful. I just couldn't lie still last night and then the night lasts very long. I felt my heart pounding all the time and my body reacting so strenuous. Could it be that I have a bad day the second day of reinstating? After a good day, another bad night? It makes me fear that I will not sleep again tonight and that my body will feel this strained all the time and that I will not be able to eat and only focus on this nervousness. And one night 9 hours and the next night none with loads of anxiety and virtually wanting to do everything to sleep, and thus not being able to, is so weird... While some weeks ago, I could still sleep on 2,5 mg with no problems...