25, worried about taper to come

[Wh...]

Hi there! I'm 25 and was put on Xanax after being in an abusive relationship at 19 and suffering panic attacks because of it. I recently moved, and before I moved, I wanted to be off all medications. I got off of every medication except Xanax. I was originally at 1 mg, tapered down to .75 in a month per doctor's orders, but when I went down to .5... I ended up in the hospital- shaking, throwing up, feeling like I was going crazy. My psychiatrist said this could not possibly be from the withdrawal, as it just "doesn't happen" when titrating by her plan. I found another psychiatrist who does the Ashton method. She is titrating me down from .5625 and onto 11.5mg of Valium. My first Xanax cut to .5 was last night, as well as taking 1.5mg of Valium. I already experienced withdrawal symtoms such as throwing up with this one cut so I am terrified. I also got a wonderful opportunity to teach in Japan for the upcoming school year, but I do not think I will be off of this stuff by then. This makes me so sad as this has been a 4-year-long dream of mine coming to fruition, which it looks like Benzos will steal from me. Looking forward to getting to know you guys and to share our journeys with each other.

zDFSObb.png

Hello  WhimsyWarrior!

We are very glad that you found us!

I am sorry to hear you are struggling with withdrawal symptoms from Xanax. Glad to hear your doctor is familiar with Ashton. You will do better with the Valium and by doing a symptom based taper.

I would like to suggest that you do some research on the various boards. Find a method that will work for you. Becoming well informed should better enable you to make difficult decisions as well as provide you with the tools you need for a successful taper & recovery. You will find many knowledgeable members who will support your efforts to become benzo free. I have enclosed a few links below that may help you. Check them out!

Wishing you a smooth taper & speedy recovery!

Bella  :smitten:

Please take the time to tell us about your history by creating a signature:

For a direct link:

CLICK HERE --->

Create a Signature <--- CLICK HERE 

Links:

Taper Info:

Suggested reduction rate is 5%-10% every 10-14 days 

Create Your Own Taper Plan  by Jim Hawk 

You-Tube step-by-step  Tutorial Video

Other Tutorials:

For me, tapering was the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life. I have an autoimmune disease on top of this and at one point was bedridden for a year. I also did chemotherapy. And yes, this is still the most difficult thing I've ever been through. I started my taper from 4 mg xanax. I am off 54 days now! If I can do it, so can you! You're going to feel horrible. You're going to feel scared. You're going to feel defeated. It's all part of the process. Just know that you are not alone. So many of us have been exactly where you are. But we made it. And we're still here to make sure YOU make it too!

If it's any comfort, I took a trip to Australia in December when I was at .25 mg xanax. I was not prepared for travel and was terrified I would ruin the trip for my boyfriend and I. To my surprise, there were days during my trip when I completely forgot to take my xanax. I was surrounded by beauty and so happy to be having such an amazing experience. Of course, there were days when I was anxious and couldn't leave my room. But it was the small victories that kept me going. I think you would have a wonderful experience on your trip if you decide to take it. Even if at the time you haven't jumped yet, just focus on stabilizing. Don't rush it. Do what feels right for you, and discuss that with your doctor. My progress was a success because I had a doctor who didn't understand completely, but trusted that I was determined. She allowed me to go at my pace, and that is why I am where I am today. Good luck to you. I'm glad you found us. We're all here to guide you and we're cheering you on!:)