Trazadone/Mirtazapine for Sleep

[So...]

I am really having trouble sleeping as I taper Valium (at 2.99 mg now, 2nd day of a DLMT). Last night I was up at 2:30am and could not go back to sleep.

I have heard low doses of Trazadone (10-15mg) and Mirtazapine (5mg) can help with sleep (which I need). And best to use only when needed and to alternate them.

I don't want to add more drugs obviously but I also can't go on with so little sleep as it spikes my anxiety the next day and I feel so much worse.

I've searched about both Traz and Mirt and of course see good and bad responses on here.

Anyone have any experience/advice?

Thanks!

I'm on 45 mg mirtazapine every night. I started it before the xanax, when I got a cancer diagnosis and the citalopram wasn't carrying me through that. It worked very well for depression. I haven't tapered off of it. And I sleep pretty well every night.

Sober,

Ashton suggests an anti-nausea meds that is working for me.  No sxs and it helps you sleep.  She suggests to take 75-100 mg.  It's called Promethazine.  It is helping me. 

I take half pill of Trazodone each night but find they make me really sluggish for most of the morning the next day and when added into my morning Clonazepam taper dose I feel zombified, yes it puts me to sleep however I suffer for it next morning, I suggest if you’re a working individual not to take Trazodone for rest at night.

Trazadone was prescribed to me for sleep after detox.  I started to see heavy rainbows around all lights at night.  A warning sign that it may affect your vision in a very dangerous way.  Needless to say, I got off it quick.  Promethazine (50 mg. suppositories) caused severe respiratory distress for me.  Most horrifying experience of my withdrawal as I could not breathe (not *just* hyperventilating which is bad enough).  I am not writing this to scare people or to say everyone would be likewise affected, but to share my truth.  Please research before considering.  These are documented adverse reactions if one researches reputable medical sites on the Web.   

Do not take promethazine for sleep, and you should never be taking 50-10g, that is obscene. It can cause many overlap symptoms with benzos withdrawal, alathesia, rls, neuropathies, and movement disorders. Should not be taken for more than 1-2 weeks. I’m not fear mongering, I’m a health cate professions with knowledge of these agents 

Much safer alternatives with minimal/no withdrawal risk:

Low dose melatonin, 1mg

Trazodone 25-50mg

Mirtazapine 3.75-7.g

Thanks Nick for the 411 - I have heard that Trazadone makes people feel froggy or "hungover" the next day - I just wish I had something to help me sleep.

Yes, the university health care center ER considered it obscene as well.  I was prescribed promethazine (also known as phenergan) for severe chronic nausea.

Trazadone was prescribed to me for sleep after detox.  I started to see heavy rainbows around all lights at night.  A warning sign that it may affect your vision in a very dangerous way.  Needless to say, I got off it quick.  Promethazine (50 mg. suppositories) caused severe respiratory distress for me.  Most horrifying experience of my withdrawal as I could not breathe (not *just* hyperventilating which is bad enough).  I am not writing this to scare people or to say everyone would be likewise affected, but to share my truth.  Please research before considering.  These are documented adverse reactions if one researches reputable medical sites on the Web.