Neck pain, nausea, pressured speech ... oh my.

[Be...]

Hi Buddies,

Only my second post but, I do come often and read (lately, the celebrations and success stories!).

So inspirational to see some doing so well!

So, a week ago, I had a panic attack at work (I have not had one in over a year!).

It was weird.  It exhibited symptoms so different than any other.

It felt like it started in my neck, like a flutter.  My speech became pressured and the

pressure in the back/base of my head became, well, scary.

And, that was it.  I was talking with a colleague and bam!  I had to get some air.  Of course,  thought I was having a stroke.

I was sure of it.  No matter how many times I told myself, "It's healing, you're healing" ... The panic would have none if it.

The attack lasted about an hour but, the symptoms?  They've decided to stick around a while.

The pressure in my neck, the back/lower/base part of my head, the pressured speech, the nausea (which started this week) which feels

like sea-sickness (like the ship is being tossed to and fro, rapidly, during a storm) and... oh, the fear that 'this HAS to be more than WD!'.

It seems like the symptoms become worse during my work day. The neck, back of my head, nausea and pressured speech seems to start late morning / early afternoon. It's frightening.  I'll be talking (sometimes I am searching for words, generally I find them) and I can feel it happening, all while trying to keep it together.

But, the last two nights the symptoms have lingered from afternoon to bedtime.  Now, getting up in the morning is not easy but, manageable.  My drive home from work is ridden with anxiety, fear with a sprinkle of depersonalization.

I am resting now with a heating pad on the back of my neck / lower part of my head ... it's not really helping, but I keep wishing for some relief.

Neck pain anyone?

Pressured speech?

xo

When I was unknowingly kindling one of the first symptoms that started to cause concern was the back of my neck. When I turned my head it felt like the nerve running from the left side down my spine was being plucked & pulled really tight. On bad days it would vibrate & electrify me throughout the entire day. At my worst I thought I was gonna cause a stroke from just turning my head. My speech went through a studdering phase where I couldn’t get my thoughts straight but it was never really pressured. Also went through a couple month’s of instant panic attacks. Only half way through month 5 & the neck tension is still there just less intense. It travels up into my head a lot now & I just get these periods of intense pressure all over my scalp.  I’ve had the same pain run down through my left arm, through my torso, & into my abdomen. All of it seems to be getting better daily though. Hope you feel better!

Oh goodness. You must be a strong person to work during this stuff! Good for you. Pain of all sorts is normal. Every single thing you described so well is normal.

May I ask how old you are? I am almost 69. We older people do have different concerns.

Whatever you do, don't give up. If you are truly worried, see your doctor. Most symptoms of WD are normal but on occasion, symptoms may NOT be due to WD.

east

Easy + East ... thank you so much for your replies.

Easy, You mentioned 'kindling' (which I knew very little about) but, I have told myself "This is why they say that seizures are possible". I do not believe I have had one but, the symptoms of what 'could be' seem very real.  I am grateful that my brain is protecting me from that (if that is, in fact, what is happening).  And, maybe my 'pressured speech' is actual stuttering.  I have been trying to pay attention in order to  better describe it in more detail.  I know that I have to search for a word, again, the words form, but they seems to take a lot of work.  The neck seems more like pressure v. pain.  But, it causes me to worry.  On Friday, during my work day, my neck actually felt MUCH better - nausea and dizzy ... not so much.  It's Saturday, nausea and dizziness were in full force all day.  But, went out tonight for a bit and had a nice time.  Nice job on your five month mark.  Hope to continue to hear and see your progress!

East,  Yes!  I am working.  A therapist (imagine that!). We made a huge move across the country in July 2018.  In October, I saw a brand new doctor, in my brand new state, that was not going to refill my rx.  I thought, "NOW is the time".  So, I started my rapid taper / detox.  At first, it took me a bit to figure out what exactly was going on ... I couldn't even drink a glass of wine, had [temple] headaches, jelly legs, thought my left side was weak / thought "stroke" , fatigue  I took off November + December.  Started my new job (which I enjoy very, very much) in January.  Three weeks ago ... all new symptoms.  I am 47 (48 in a few weeks).  I had my first panic attack in 2014 (though, diagnosed GAD in 2003).  After my panic attack all I could think of was "Im sick" 'Something's wrong with me (brain tumor, stroke, heart attack, aneurysm)".  And, then came the Health Anxiety diagnosis.  So, one can imagine that the WD makes me think the very worst of the symptoms.  ;). I know that rescue does are likely frowned upon; however, the few that I have taken, significantly decrease the symptoms almost immediately which reinforces that the ARE symptoms of WD.  A validation, of sorts.  I know I shouldn't have taken the rescue doses but, I had to reassure myself (what an excuse, huh?  ;)), that I am not, well, dying.  During my panic attack last week, I even sat in the parking lot at the Urgent Care - I never went in though.  I knew what was happening but it scared me.  I am hanging in there. Today, The nausea and dizziness were overwhelming. I had a little relief yesterday and some this evening (and, I am feeling ok right now ... I'll take it!).  You are super sweet for replying.  Thank you so much for your words of encouragement.  Hoping you are doing well.

xo