Xanax

[Ja...]

Hi everyone! I’ve introduced myself before, as I came here to get some support. I’ve been taking Xanax for 16 years, and a t first, my doctor wanted me to switch to a different benzo but now, he wants to switch me to another benzo. I’m really scared as I still suffer from anxiety. I heard so many horrible stories of people having to quit their job. My doctor said I should probably take a medical leave of 2 months. I can’t! I’ll lose my job! I need help!

Welcome to Benzo Buddies. We are a support and information group for those wanting to get off of benzodiazepines. Of course your afraid, but you can get through this.

The max recommended cut is 5-10% every 2 weeks. Many of us have to go slower, depending on our medication and what we can handle. Here are the boards on tapering. Feel free to print out anything you wish, and share it with your doctor.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual 

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=56.0

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=145.0

This is a time to start finding activities and experiences which help calm your nervous system down, as well as support, perhaps from a psychologist (they don't prescribe medication, so are more focused on therapies which allow you to accept and cope with your situation.)

You need to start gathering coping mechanisms. One very effective and easy one is simply deep breathing. And, you need to know your going to come out of this: you will. Mindfullness is good. And distraction is crucial. When you are engaged in a mental and or/physical activity, your not so focused on how you feel. Get up and leave the room your in. Go outside. Start doing something. within reason, you don't think you can. When you are in a state of depletion, go to bed. You can't give to others when you are depleted, You have to build your strength back up. Practice self care, from allowing yourself to remove all stimulation to engaging in a sport. Find as many coping mechanisms as you can, no matter how silly. I sometimes write on my arm in sharpie, "temporary," or "healing." I have a cuff that says "Keep &%#$@ going."

By using coping techniques, you are not only calming down your system, but developing what can become a lifelong tool box for coping with painful and distressing situations.

There are some good books on the topic, as well as on line lectures and meditations. Heather Ashton has a serious of lectures. She is very effective at validating the pain, then expressing that it is normal, and not be frightened by it.

Here are some helpful links should your doctor be cutting you:

rapid wd/ct http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=53153.0

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=133.0

This is a list of withdraw symptoms:

https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm#4

In the forums pertinent to your circumstances, you will find other buddies going through their own cold turkey and protracted withdraw. You are not yet at the place where protracted withdraw is in play, but if it does happen, there is member support for it. This is a good place to ask questions, and receive guidance.

Welcome to Benzo Buddies, you have come to a safe, confidential informative support group, and we are happy to have you as a member.

Please take some time to Create a Signature. This will help other members understand your history so they will be better able to support you. Go to the top of the page and select Profile, then choose Forum Profile, insert drug history/timelines into the text box and click Change Profile.

We look forward to reading more from you over the forthcoming days and weeks.

Take care,

BB Team

Hello Jacomina,

I know what you mean by having fear...I lasted such a long time until I decided to face the problem, as I was afraid of having terrible symptoms, because I have my job to keep and family and friends to be with, and I didn't want to be any burden!

And actually the withdrawl symptoms they were not as terrible as I supposed they would be. They were hard, annoying but bearable!

Everyone is so different in their reactions to withdrawl...

What I would suggest you is to taper in a very slowly pace, following the Ashton method!!! You will also find in this site people who will give you much support, great information, and also the possibility of sharing your experience with people who are also suffering and want to be free of this drug.

Wish you the best and good luck!!!

I was terrified for a year straight. That's how long it took me to taper off of 4 mg of xanax.

I chose to not do a crossover. I personally didn't want to go from one benzo to another. It may have made my life easier, I don't doubt that. But I was determined.

I understand your fear of losing your job. I was struggling with just driving to my office. It's so important to take care of yourself through this process. I found when I was tapering and just focused on the tapering itself, I was a mess. I was a prisoner in my home and could barely communicate with the outside world. It wasn't until I took charge of my well being that I started to feel better.

Sleep, exercise, diet and meditation were key to my success. It can be exhausting to keep up with, but trust me, being exhausted/annoyed with all of those beats the hell out of dealing with withdrawal symptoms! And once you start feeling relief from these practices, you realize it's all worth it.

Keep your mind off of the process. Go outside even on your most anxious days. Surround yourself with people even if crowds make you anxious. Read a book to forget about your withdrawal symptoms. Make yourself uncomfortable until you feel comfortable.

Remember that everything you are experiencing is normal and many of us have been through it and survived. You will too. Until then, we're here to help guide you. Don't give up. You got this!:)

Great advice from sunshine.

Have you thought about a Daily Liquid Micro Taper? It is imo the smoothest and safest way to get off benzos. If you go to the Titration board, you will see lots of info there and there are great members who will help you with a plan.

You WILL heal!

Thank you everyone that responded and are being so supportive! So I saw my doctor on Friday and the only option he gave me was to switch to Valium. I’m taking 2 mg of Xanax now and he gave me a schedule for 2 weeks on how to switch. In 2 weeks he expect me to be on Valium Only. I thought he was going to give me more time but no. That’s it! I wish I could do a slow taper like one of you suggested and I also took a look at the Ashton Manual, because he said that’s what he’s using but no, the Ashton manual shows a much slower switch. Every 2 weeks or so. I was supposed to start on Monday but because I had a nasty cold and a tremendous amount of anxiety, I’m starting today and I plan on seeing him next week. I feel like I need a slower switch to Valium, maybe I’m wrong. I also am looking for a therapist but nothing available until about 3 weeks, when I should be seeing someone now. I’m having panic attacks and just so much fear just thinking on how things will be without Xanax after 16 years. I know I sound ridiculous and I’m sorry. I just thought my doctor would give me a little bit more time. That’s how it’s been where I live though. Doctors are taking everyone out of Benzos very quick. If I could switch to Valium at a slower pace, without being pressured, I don’t think I would be feeling the way I am. Thank you all again for the support and ideas. I’ll keep you all posted in about a week or so.

Keep us posted J - lots of people cross over to Valium and taper so you might not even have a problem switching. Ashton's speed was a little fast for me personally when i got down to the low doses so if you can, find a doctor that is willing to let you go at the rate that is most comfortable for you.