DVT ?! or K, V, Lyrica!? VERY swollen, stiff LEFT leg, calf, ankle, foot

[ch...]

HELP PLEASE buddies!?

anyone have this Sx from either K/CLZ, or, Val [am on both] -- or maybe delayed Lyrica w/d ?

so scared it's DVT !?  ~ 10 days now.

Doc came a week ago to measure calf [was less than DVT parameters] -- and take a blood test for 'heart failure'...!?  'BNP', i think.... no result yet.

too debilitated to go for scans, unless breathing probs arise... then will call ambulance!

1 month after just 4 doses of LYRICA @ 25mg -- Left foot swelled up like balloon, calf rock hard and swollen, ankle swelling tripled in size ...

already had ankle [+ knee] swelling for a few months now, due to immobility.

also sleep in fixed position all night -- can't move -- on back w/pillow under knees due to severe Achilles heel pain... but heels rest gently on mattress, not dangling, tho lower than hips / heart.

so much weakness + tension in lower legs, can't walk more than 15-20 each hr, by dinner time -- maybe 10-15 max.... so total of about 3 hrs a day.... started JULY but worsened each month since NOV.

~ 5yrs ago, knee probs started -- so less active, BUT 10000x more active than now!

then got tiny swelling left ankle, so former GP sent me for special scan of leg veins and heart.

result: 'mild age-related valve regurgitation'....  forgot about this, and tried Lyrica anyway -- maybe should not have ?!

so worried now that this is real DVT, due to heart issue  :(

ANYONE PLEASE let me know if you had this sxs while on K/CLZ or V, or Lyrica ?

MANY THANKS KIND BUDDIES. SO SCARED.

There are no "parameters" as far as size of leg to diagnose a DVt.

If you are worried you have a DVT go to the hospital, the only way they can rule it out is with a doppler scan.

DVT can hit anyone for any reason, you dont necessarily have to have a heart problem to develope them.

Best wishes

M

thank you so much M

GP says if calf measures more than 3cm than other calf, then prob not DVT... also no red rash behind knee or heat....?!

she said it's prob just from Lyrica trial ?!

GP said mobile doppler could come to me!

--- but been waiting all week for GP to call me back RE blood test and doppler --- but nothing!

will go to ER if have to tho... was hoping not real DVT, but benzo or lyrica....  just don't know...  :-\

thank you for your concern + care x

Just replying to DVT possibility: I've had blood clots in lung and leg and lost vision in eye because of a blood clot. First thing is to check your Blood Pressure. If it is erratic, go to the ER. Also, a blood clot in the leg, in my case was swelling and redness and horrible cramping. Like Serious Grab Your Leg cramp.

But Check BP ASAP. 

many thanks FreshStart, for your concern and care to reply w/ helpful info.

so sorry to hear about your vision and all the DVT you've been thru, good grief, so awfully scary  :hug:

was all this due to being on K ?!  or immobilized ?  or very active ?

since i'm so immobilized -- and have tension / pain in both calves, achilles pain, hamstring tension, ankle and knee swelling ....for months  now.....  can't distinguish 'cramping' in calf...

but lower calf feels extremely stiff and painful to try to stand on and walk, if laying down after 1 hr.... or on waking and trying to stretch and then stand, can't put weight on it at first....

but then settles for a few minutes, until tension builds after walking ~ 15 min.... as usual these past 7 mths.

GP took BP last week when examined leg - BP normal then.

she took BNP blood test, but now says she had the wrong tube...!?

should have taken DVT blood test, don't know why she didn't!

GP hasn't been back since, but said go to ER 'if concerned'....

will borrow MIL's monitor to check BP.

it has worsened a bit from last Sat.... tho about the same all week... 2moro will be 2 wks.

also foot gets very puffy, numb, stiff and tingles, and hard to bend / lift heel off floor when seated.

lower calf very stiff all around .... and ankle so swollen both inner and outer.

GP felt calf last week and said not stiff... but lower calf is, and along outer side feels lumpy. but she did not feel it.... spouse confirms it tho, so not 'in my head'.

GP said Achilles tendon... but feels nothing like Achilles pain i have in other leg.

very grateful for your helpful reply x

scared, sorry to ramble. will need to call ambulance i guess. hope it's not too late.

Hey Chip.. :)

Hope your Internet is sorted..?

Your a pretty brave one, I think... Just dont be too brave... I hate to give this type of advice, but I think getting it checked out properly is a sound idea...  -pain in the butt that it is..

At the very least you can get them to reduce the swelling with a good massage... -hopefully..

:)

When I had my DVT and clotting (non med related), they took it very seriously and although I was already in ICU, they placed an IVC filter immediately... I dont wish to scare you, but its been niggling at me... -Just think how much better you may feel knowing all is ok.. :)

Must run.. lost my glass slipper again... (4am) :(

All the best...

A general note.. -if I may...  (not aimed at anyone or this thread..)

Some time ago I learnt a lesson here.. 

A member was complaining of abdomin pain, not exessivly severe, but notable discomfort... Well, thats pretty common for WD right...??

Well they did get it checked out... Turns out they had a burst appendix...

Not everything is always WD...

thank you so much again dear Cant  :angel:

SO sorry Re PM, and this short post.... still have to use phone, hubs phone this morning -- then he was out long time today so couldn't post again -- my phone signal no good.

should have Net back 2moro.... i hope.

SO very grateful for candid and concerned post and wisdom, experience...

gosh, thank you v much for thinking of me and trying to keep up at all hours, true  :angel:...

i am scared ,not brave, just scared of ER, of what they will do, meds, so debilitated,  etc.

but more scared of dying from leg i guess... will need to call ambulance.

talked to Doc on phone... she said go to ER to get scan if concerned... she should have said so 1 week ago... so upset, since it got worse this week.

will try to post again soon. thinking of you dear buddie, thank you so much. x

If you're still really worried, there is a blood test called a D-Dimer which can rule out any clots.

As far as taking the blood pressure, I would probably refrain from doing it. Blood pressure readings vary depending on your position, what you're doing and what you've done in the past five minutes.

I use to take my blood pressure and if it was a bit elevated I would freak out and before I knew it,  it would be 160/110 and I'd be in full blown "I'm having a stroke" mode.

Keep in touch with your doctor. Try and exercise your extremities. If you have trouble walking at least stretch a bit. Try not to stay in a sitting position too long , etc. Etc. Etc.  I'm sure you have googled it already:)

Best wishes.

M

thank you so much M

GP says if calf measures more than 3cm than other calf, then prob not DVT... also no red rash behind knee or heat....?!

she said it's prob just from Lyrica trial ?!

GP said mobile doppler could come to me!

--- but been waiting all week for GP to call me back RE blood test and doppler --- but nothing!

will go to ER if have to tho... was hoping not real DVT, but benzo or lyrica....  just don't know...  :-\

thank you for your concern + care x

dear MOON

thanks once again, v grateful. too scared to google.

So angry RE DVT blood test - as per my earlier post ->

>>>"GP took BNP blood test, but now says she had the wrong tube...+  should have taken DVT blood test !  don't know why she didn't !? "

so GP left me hanging all week.  and could've ruled DVT out 10 days ago when she took that other blood test !?

she didn't do that test -- b/c she didn't think DVT at all....

Re FRESH + BP:

have hx of fainting, hypoglycemia since teenager.

then had low-normal BP as was fit and healthy for yrs.

then vagus nerve issues began later after illness a decade ago.

and fainted just last month, thankfully, onto the bed.

so taking BP freaks me out too. as does googling.

i understand FRESH's reasoning and experience.... just too anxious - so chose not to borrow MIL's cuff.

ICAN offered some other awful possible probs in my Meds post... googled and nearly fainted.... but still haven't gone to ER....

MOON:

i mentioned my attempts at mobility in 1st post - not enough movement, i know, but that's all i can do....

+ pillow under knees not helping at all ... obvs feet below knees all night.  it's not a very high pillow, but still, after 7+ mths....

very weak legs + knees  + back -- not helping lower legs / ankles either, seems all that's holding me up are weak ankles + knees.

try stretching in morning, takes about an hour to do only a few reps of 3 simple stretches - mainly leg slides in btwn 2 other stretches -- but cannot straighten R leg [rotated hip].

then do hamstring stretches before trying to stand up, from bed, and every hr from sitting/laying.

but - seems the more stretching, the more tension later in day.

try rotating ankles on waking, and if woken in night, but so painful + again, seems to make it worse now.

GOSH sorry to ramble -- just wondering what you think ? about attempts to move w/such limited mobility + weakness, tension, etc ?

has been much much worse since Lyrica trial... thought it maybe bound to Valium and taking ages to w/d...?

just so anxious + scared + hate ER -- they put me on 1st benzo.

and cannot fathom laying on stretcher for hours, will end up in psych ward.... cannot lay on sides, so weak, don't know how will manage scans.... :-\

oh GOD just wish it would go away!

this swelling started immediately after stopping Lyrica + w/colitis-type sxs - still ongoing - so thought ankle swelling related to that...

many thanks again for your caring reply and concern. x

Hey Chip... :)

Hope things are ok with you...??

A few hrs of "lyrica lead" calves today.. -so still some odd niggles my end...

Wishing you a break...

:)

hiya Cant

thanks for checking in dear buddie  :angel:

oh no, so sorry about 'lyrica lead calves'... is it both calves? 

hope it all 'lightens up' ASAP!  time is passing since your jump -- so healing must be happening, surely !?

hoping very soon you'll be free of this w/d grief + 'niggles', fingers crossed.

:hug:

many thanks FreshStart, for your concern and care to reply w/ helpful info.

so sorry to hear about your vision and all the DVT you've been thru, good grief, so awfully scary  :hug:

was all this due to being on K ?!  or immobilized ?  or very active ?

since i'm so immobilized -- and have tension / pain in both calves, achilles pain, hamstring tension, ankle and knee swelling ....for months  now.....  can't distinguish 'cramping' in calf...

but lower calf feels extremely stiff and painful to try to stand on and walk, if laying down after 1 hr.... or on waking and trying to stretch and then stand, can't put weight on it at first....

but then settles for a few minutes, until tension builds after walking ~ 15 min.... as usual these past 7 mths.

GP took BP last week when examined leg - BP normal then.

she took BNP blood test, but now says she had the wrong tube...!?

should have taken DVT blood test, don't know why she didn't!

GP hasn't been back since, but said go to ER 'if concerned'....

will borrow MIL's monitor to check BP.

it has worsened a bit from last Sat.... tho about the same all week... 2moro will be 2 wks.

also foot gets very puffy, numb, stiff and tingles, and hard to bend / lift heel off floor when seated.

lower calf very stiff all around .... and ankle so swollen both inner and outer.

GP felt calf last week and said not stiff... but lower calf is, and along outer side feels lumpy. but she did not feel it.... spouse confirms it tho, so not 'in my head'.

GP said Achilles tendon... but feels nothing like Achilles pain i have in other leg.

very grateful for your helpful reply x

scared, sorry to ramble. will need to call ambulance i guess. hope it's not too late.

No I'm actually very active. I bike 40 miles a day. The ER doctor said that exercise saved my life when I had the Pulmonary Embolism. I just have a clotting problem. So I have to take a blood thinner the rest of my life.

I didn't see this reply until just now, sorry. How are you feeling? I hope you didn't have to go to the ER. :(

HELP PLEASE buddies!?

anyone have this Sx from either K/CLZ, or, Val [am on both] -- or maybe delayed Lyrica w/d ?

so scared it's DVT !?  ~ 10 days now.

Doc came a week ago to measure calf [was less than DVT parameters] -- and take a blood test for 'heart failure'...!?  'BNP', i think.... no result yet.

too debilitated to go for scans, unless breathing probs arise... then will call ambulance!

1 month after just 4 doses of LYRICA @ 25mg -- Left foot swelled up like balloon, calf rock hard and swollen, ankle swelling tripled in size ...

already had ankle [+ knee] swelling for a few months now, due to immobility.

also sleep in fixed position all night -- can't move -- on back w/pillow under knees due to severe Achilles heel pain... but heels rest gently on mattress, not dangling, tho lower than hips / heart.

so much weakness + tension in lower legs, can't walk more than 15-20 each hr, by dinner time -- maybe 10-15 max.... so total of about 3 hrs a day.... started JULY but worsened each month since NOV.

~ 5yrs ago, knee probs started -- so less active, BUT 10000x more active than now!

then got tiny swelling left ankle, so former GP sent me for special scan of leg veins and heart.

result: 'mild age-related valve regurgitation'....  forgot about this, and tried Lyrica anyway -- maybe should not have ?!

so worried now that this is real DVT, due to heart issue  :(

ANYONE PLEASE let me know if you had this sxs while on K/CLZ or V, or Lyrica ?

MANY THANKS KIND BUDDIES. SO SCARED.

Let me add, I WAS on Lyrica MANY years ago...I honestly can't remember why, I think for nerve pain as I suffer from Fibromyalgia and other back issues. My face and my fingers retained water. I didn't stay on Lyrica for that reason. So I do know, Lyrica will cause water retention.

dear Cant + buddies

oh! thanks for update FRESH -- just pasted this post -- but will reply to yours asap  :)

ER for DVT:

Lyrica  -- ER Doc said Not Lyrica for my SXs -- said usually Both legs affected -- like you, CANT, or FRESH....?

tho my GP seemed to think Lyrica...

ER Doc didn't even know 'Lyrica'  -- had to say pregabalin... also had no clue about benzos... w/d or sxs... nothing...

horrendous + painful trip to ER -- provided some peace of mind, but not quite enough....

they almost didn't do U/S scan -- said to come back....!?  but maybe as i came in ambo + then w/chair, debilitation -- they squeezed me in -- thank goodness.

also -- didn't do a 'full leg scan' -- as i'd had in past -- left me feeling very uneasy. but, different country / healthcare system this time.

so they only scan inner upper thigh, behind knee, and down to upper calf.

but -- not lower calf which is stiff  + lumpy -- nor huge ankles or puffy foot....!?

said tiny veins in ankle + foot could be clots...!?  but will only scan if probs in upper leg or blood test... wth !?

but d-dimer test was negative... for now, whew.... so they just left it at that.

so partial relief from the test/scan... but still inconclusive...

ER ADVICE:

put feet on 2 pillows in sleep + wear flight socks + take acetaminophen [tylenol] + walk more --  sounds logical  -- but not in practice....

tylenol gives me w/d sxs....

i 'had' small feet -- but can barely get 'mens' diabetic socks on now -- using grabber to pull them over huge ankles / feet....

and huge swollen knees do not drain at night -- tho supported by 1 pillow + above heart....?

so don't know how 2 pillows is going to help....?

but -- my fault -- didn't show Doc bigger picture -- my painful, swollen frozen knees.

stupid me -- HUGE grapefruit knees -- stiff as cement + REALLY hinders mobility -- that might have changed ER POV...?

afraid 2 pillows will restrict limited movement in sleep already have w/ 1 pillow + aggravate my knees more -- not sure how it will help.

oh hindsight... and 2 benzos brain etc.

alas -- he warned this will get worse if i don't take his advice...

sorry to vent, a bit relieved, for now, sort of, still scared...

BUDDIE thoughts PLEASE?

forgot to say -->

1 cut a tiny 2% from Clon at exactly the time my foot puffed up and ankles, calf worsened....

could this tiny Clon cut have any such effect ? while Val dose same ?

just wondering....

many thanks to all caring buddies who replied w/concern -- any further advice much appreciated x

dear Cant + buddies

oh! thanks for update FRESH -- just pasted this post -- but will reply to yours asap  :)

ER for DVT:

Lyrica  -- ER Doc said Not Lyrica for my SXs -- said usually Both legs affected -- like you, CANT, or FRESH....?

tho my GP seemed to think Lyrica...

ER Doc didn't even know 'Lyrica'  -- had to say pregabalin... also had no clue about benzos... w/d or sxs... nothing...

horrendous + painful trip to ER -- provided some peace of mind, but not quite enough....

they almost didn't do U/S scan -- said to come back....!?  but maybe as i came in ambo + then w/chair, debilitation -- they squeezed me in -- thank goodness.

also -- didn't do a 'full leg scan' -- as i'd had in past -- left me feeling very uneasy. but, different country / healthcare system this time.

so they only scan inner upper thigh, behind knee, and down to upper calf.

but -- not lower calf which is stiff  + lumpy -- nor huge ankles or puffy foot....!?

said tiny veins in ankle + foot could be clots...!?  but will only scan if probs in upper leg or blood test... wth !?

but d-dimer test was negative... for now, whew.... so they just left it at that.

so partial relief from the test/scan... but still inconclusive...

ER ADVICE:

put feet on 2 pillows in sleep + wear flight socks + take acetaminophen [tylenol] + walk more --  sounds logical  -- but not in practice....

tylenol gives me w/d sxs....

i 'had' small feet -- but can barely get 'mens' diabetic socks on now -- using grabber to pull them over huge ankles / feet....

and huge swollen knees do not drain at night -- tho supported by 1 pillow + above heart....?

so don't know how 2 pillows is going to help....?

but -- my fault -- didn't show Doc bigger picture -- my painful, swollen frozen knees.

stupid me -- HUGE grapefruit knees -- stiff as cement + REALLY hinders mobility -- that might have changed ER POV...?

afraid 2 pillows will restrict limited movement in sleep already have w/ 1 pillow + aggravate my knees more -- not sure how it will help.

oh hindsight... and 2 benzos brain etc.

alas -- he warned this will get worse if i don't take his advice...

sorry to vent, a bit relieved, for now, sort of, still scared...

BUDDIE thoughts PLEASE?

forgot to say -->

1 cut a tiny 2% from Clon at exactly the time my foot puffed up and ankles, calf worsened....

could this tiny Clon cut have any such effect ? while Val dose same ?

just wondering....

many thanks to all caring buddies who replied w/concern -- any further advice much appreciated x

I can't remember having withdrawal symptoms from stopping Lyrica. I just know the two weeks on it I retained A LOT of water in my face and fingers (both hands). I can only remember Lyrica cause I have a picture of myself while on it and my face was so bloated.

I have not had swelling due to Klonopin withdrawal either. If I lost a lot of weight.

I no longer trust doctors. I mean, going to the ER for a concern like yours was necessary, but I used to put doctors right up there with ALL-KNOWING. Not anymore.

I've been through these rodeos too many times. I'm tired of being a guinea pig to meds for "off label" reasons. (Which is why I joined this group).

I think Elevation (get your feet just above your heart or heart level) is a good plan, Support Socks are good for circulation. Did they not suggest a water pill?

The reason they don't Ultrasound (scan) the actual calf, is because if it is a DVT the clot is in or around the inner thigh or back of knee or the inner side of the knee. (I too have superficial vein thrombosis and they don't worry about that. Those are harmless)

Sorry, I know you are in a great amount of pain. :(

I wish I could be of more help.

But stay Hydrated with just water. (I drink my weight in water :) )

thanks so much again FRESH

really appreciate your thoughtful replies, v grateful for all your experience + insight, concern.

SO very sorry about your health issues, oh gosh it must be worrisome. Glad you were so fit to avoid danger, thank goodness.

But wow, you are incredibly fit on high K and doing amazing w/taper. So envious.

Very much want to reply properly to your kind + helpful posts, this is just a quick reply b/c must get up and move again, then lay down...

DVT sxs really bad today, and knees, after y/day @ ER.

Forgot to say : put K back up to 1.375 night before ER -- and leg didn't feel as bad as expected in ER -- tho so weak nurses had to help me so much.

Maybe today, feeling effects. Also cut back last night to 1.345 as per past 10 days.

Not sure if it's the tiny cut i made + 'protracted' or 'potentiated' Lyrica w/d ...?

AND - forgot to ask ER about 'compartment syndrome'.... so still very scared...!

Did you ever have a test for this?

Just wondering what you think?

Many thanks again  :smitten:

really appreciate your thoughtful replies, v grateful for all your experience + insight, concern.

SO very sorry about your health issues, oh gosh it must be worrisome. Glad you were so fit to avoid danger, thank goodness.

But wow, you are incredibly fit on high K and doing amazing w/taper. So envious.

Very much want to reply properly to your kind + helpful posts, this is just a quick reply b/c must get up and move again, then lay down...

Forgot to say : put K back up to 1.375 night before ER -- and leg didn't feel as bad as expected in ER -- tho so weak nurses had to help me so much.

Maybe today, feeling effects. Also cut back last night to 1.345 as per past 10 days.

Not sure if it's the tiny cut i made + 'protracted' or 'potentiated' Lyrica w/d ...?

AND - forgot to ask ER about 'compartment syndrome'.... so still very scared...!

Well, Since the first taper, I've found myself locked in brain fog. My biking is down to 20 miles, and not every day. :(

I probably won't make another adjustment for another month. I hate this feeling. Manageable, but it sucks.

And my next taper won't be a Full mg as per the doctor. I'm digging my heels in on this slow taper ordeal. This crap should be BANNED!

I'm sorry you have to go through so much. And I'm glad I was of some help. I wish you the best and keep me posted on your condition.

I Saw a question in there.  Have I been tested for "Compartment Syndrome"?...

No, I have not. My physical problems include Fibro, Myofascial Pain Disorder, Degenerative Disc Disease and I had 7 tumors removed from spine 6 years ago.

Luckily, I was able to stop all pain meds. I just need to get off klonopin. (I almost did it 9 years ago) but the withdraw was unbearable. But my taper was very fast back then.

I'll do it this time.  :thumbsup:

Hi Chip...

sorry, kept putting off replying till I felt a bit better.. -Which I should know by now never works to plan... :(

Im Glad Fresh was here to help, and with more relatable experiences than me... Thanks Fresh, and for sharing some of your history too... Strength to you... :)

Chip, you asked about both legs.. Yes, the WD aspects are both legs, but no swelling...  Other than that I feel like I climbed a mountain..  I didnt have these sx from V, but Im not sure I can say its all lyrica either.. One on top of the other I guess...  It reminds me of taking the big one-off doses of gabapentin way back when...

With your short use of lyrica, One wouldnt tend to think its the main contributor, but of course strange things can happen...?? Perhaps "triggered" might be a word..??

Have many people responded with a positive to these sx from pure benzo WD..??

-I just remember reading it here n there, but never realy followed it as I didnt relate... -then..

It would be good to have a bit more to go on, if considering backtracking in dose a bit for this reason... But thats a whole other matter i guess...

I know what its like forgetting all the important stuff with Drs... Esp now that im getting a bit slack with my diary...  A diary might make it all a bit easier for you.. It can change Dr responses for the better too..!!

I hope you can manage things with a bit of a wholistic approach... Theri-band* was good for me as I obviously couldnt weight bear for so long..  Still, it was massage that moved the swelling best.. and I guess it helped with the muscles and nerve related stuff..

Its probably good you have more medical people involved, or perhaps aware, at least now it can be a "check up" if you need... But for now, its been checked, so try and let that take some stress away, and focus on getting well..

You can beat this..!!

dear FRESH + CANT  :smitten:

THANk you so v much for all your kind, helpful, thoughtful info + insight -- so v grateful.

Please know i'm here + WILL be back asap -- want to follow up w/your posts, dear FRESH + CANT -- thinking of you  :hug:

Still struggling w/ DVT stuff + messing w/meds + tweaked my back trying to lay down w/ stack of pillows to raise my legs, as per ER Doc... 

sorry to hear you're both struggling too  :(

holy cow, such tough cookies you both are, you've been thru so much, i'm in awe, you give me hope.

much gratitude x

• 2 weeks later...

dear FRESH + CANT

so sorry -- still here + thinking of you both.

going thru a really rough patch atm.....

got off track messing w/ Ashton again.... big mistake, as per my GP again....

thank you again dear buddies x

dear FRESH + CANT

so sorry -- still here + thinking of you both.

going thru a really rough patch atm.....

got off track messing w/ Ashton again.... big mistake, as per my GP again....

thank you again dear buddies x

Sorry to hear this.  :'(

I'll need you in about 4 weeks as I'll be tapering a huge amount again as my pdoc says HIS way or Detox. I think it's the same thing except I won't be supervised.  :-[

I hope you get some relief ASAP. I'm here if you just want to complain.  :smitten: