Jim Hawk spreadsheet - how to get 3/4 tablet of Ativan

[Po...]

Hi,

I input the following into the Amazing! spreadsheet:

Medication: Name: Lorazepam - Tablet size: 1 mg - Planned quit dose: 0.050 mg/day - Suggested quit dose: 0.050 mg/day

Liquid solution: Number of tablets: 10 - Volume of liquid: 100 ml - Concentration: 0.10 mg/ml

Daily doses: Dose 1: 2 mg - Dose 2: 1 mg - Dose 3: 0 mg - Dose 4: 0 mg - Dose 5: 0 mg - Dose 6: 0 mg

Planned reduction: Start date: 16.02.2019 - Reduction percent: (N/A) % - Reduction quantity: .15 mg - Period: 14 days - Reduction order: First doses first - Combine with tablets: Yes - Attenuated ending: No

Instead of having me take 2 pills + balance liquid,  it has me in many places taking 3/4 tablet or 1/4 tablet.  Since I have 1 mg tablets, the only accurate cut I could trust would possibly be .50 tablet.  Can someone please explain how to get 3/4 and 1/4 of Lorazepam tablet to be accurate enough?

Many thanks.  I'm finally doing this, should have 2 years ago!!  Now dr's don't want to prescribe me, so the time is NOW!

Change combine with pills to no. I hope one day the app gets updated and removes anything more than a half a pill cut because you’re introducing the same variability into the equation that causes problems with cut and hold in the first place with further pill splits.

I can't speak to the spreadsheet but just a heads up as to the rate of .05 mg drop per day. Am  tapering off 1 mg per day over a relatively short period and was using a rate of .01 mg per day and have learned that was perhaps too fast and having to slow down thanx to advice from a number of people. Have been told that rate should be perhaps 10% from every two weeks.

Perhaps others with more experience can comment on the .05 rate per day. If you can avoid sx makes it a lot easier. More time to get off but better results has been the feedback have been given.

Hi,

I input the following into the Amazing! spreadsheet:

Medication: Name: Lorazepam - Tablet size: 1 mg - Planned quit dose: 0.050 mg/day - Suggested quit dose: 0.050 mg/day

Liquid solution: Number of tablets: 10 - Volume of liquid: 100 ml - Concentration: 0.10 mg/ml

Daily doses: Dose 1: 2 mg - Dose 2: 1 mg - Dose 3: 0 mg - Dose 4: 0 mg - Dose 5: 0 mg - Dose 6: 0 mg

Planned reduction: Start date: 16.02.2019 - Reduction percent: (N/A) % - Reduction quantity: .15 mg - Period: 14 days - Reduction order: First doses first - Combine with tablets: Yes - Attenuated ending: No

Instead of having me take 2 pills + balance liquid,  it has me in many places taking 3/4 tablet or 1/4 tablet.  Since I have 1 mg tablets, the only accurate cut I could trust would possibly be .50 tablet.  Can someone please explain how to get 3/4 and 1/4 of Lorazepam tablet to be accurate enough?

Many thanks.  I'm finally doing this, should have 2 years ago!!  Now dr's don't want to prescribe me, so the time is NOW!

There is a couple of ways get around this issue. One way is to change the doses to 3 (really only dosing twice) and use as displayed below.

click image

K51Ibpy.png

I can't speak to the spreadsheet but just a heads up as to the rate of .05 mg drop per day. Am  tapering off 1 mg per day over a relatively short period and was using a rate of .01 mg per day and have learned that was perhaps too fast and having to slow down thanx to advice from a number of people. Have been told that rate should be perhaps 10% from every two weeks.

Perhaps others with more experience can comment on the .05 rate per day. If you can avoid sx makes it a lot easier. More time to get off but better results has been the feedback have been given.

The drop rate is .15mg/14 days which equals .0107mg/day.

The .05 is the quit dose, not the daily reduction.

That comes out to 5% every 2 weeks.

Thanx for clarifying. Not using Jim Hawks spreadsheet but rather another that I found before I learned of benzobuddies and the support network. May go back and use Jim's to compare.  Learning as I go :-) It is a journey and the help and guidance on this blog is nothing short of amazing

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome!!  Thank you so much Bella Amis!!  :smitten: That whole pill vs 3/4 pill will make this a LOT easier for me!!

QUESTION #1: Do you think I should switch from 2 doses to 3 doses as indicated on the spreadsheet, or stick with what I have been doing for many years (1 in AM, 2 in PM, start cutting PM first)?

Now, I have a new Dr. who is willing to prescribe my Lorazepam and help me to taper off.  He doesn't have any taper experience and suggested first cut to be 1/2 tablet = .50 MG at once!! (I'll follow spreadsheet on my own, as long as he keeps prescribing and not rushing me with his "pulled out of the air" reduction amounts).  He did mention willingness to convert me to Valium due to the short half life of Lorazepam. As far as timeframe, we discussed it could be 1 year, or 1 1/2 years as long as I am going in the right direction.

QUESTION #2:  Should I start micro tapering at 5% every 2 weeks as planned, and then maybe at 2 mg switch to Valium?  I'm not sure if the switch should be right from the start?  I am interested in converting, because even with a micro taper, I am concerned about that short half life becoming a symptom issue.  If anyone has experienced input based on your success, I would appreciate. 

QUESTION #3:  is there help here on BB for how to convert from L to V?  I have the Ashton Manual, and am wondering if that is the best plan to follow?  Would be schedule 8 for me on page 43 if I start from beginning.  Even if I start at 2mg, is this the best protocol for leaving Lorazepam gradually and introducing the Valium gradually? (Sometimes it seems her reductions are fast in my opinion).

Lots to figure out, but I am ready and just need to get sorted on my plan and I will begin!  Thanks in advance for your wonderful assistance.  I am grateful beyond measure!!