Advice on Ativan Taper

[21...]

Thank you to all who share - I’m looking for a little advice.

Been on Ativan for about 5 months, 1mg a day. On 1/20 I decided I wanted to taper down in an effort to get off entirely. I’ve read enough to know go slow, 5-10% every two weeks, listen to your body...

Having said that, I cut to .75 per day, 3 .25 doses every 4 hours or so. I know that was a 25% cut and apparently too much. I’ve been battling increased anxiety and some odd muscle/chest ache pain (withdrawl symptoms?)- somewhat tolerable but definitely concerned about increased anxiety

Wondering if these symptoms will subside and stabilize soon and / or do I up dose and start again the taper. Currently cutting .5mg in half. Getting 5-10% reductions is tough with these pills so wondering if most would recommend 1) move to micro liquid taper 2) get to longer acting Benzo /switch / then start taper on that?  Valium as the pill sizes and availability of liquid seem to be better suited for slow taper?

Really frustrating and I feel for all - thank you for any advice you all have.

Thank you to all who share - I’m looking for a little advice.

Been on Ativan for about 5 months, 1mg a day. On 1/20 I decided I wanted to taper down in an effort to get off entirely. I’ve read enough to know go slow, 5-10% every two weeks, listen to your body...

Having said that, I cut to .75 per day, 3 .25 doses every 4 hours or so. I know that was a 25% cut and apparently too much. I’ve been battling increased anxiety and some odd muscle/chest ache pain (withdrawl symptoms?)- somewhat tolerable but definitely concerned about increased anxiety

Wondering if these symptoms will subside and stabilize soon and / or do I up dose and start again the taper. Currently cutting .5mg in half. Getting 5-10% reductions is tough with these pills so wondering if most would recommend 1) move to micro liquid taper 2) get to longer acting Benzo /switch / then start taper on that?  Valium as the pill sizes and availability of liquid seem to be better suited for slow taper?

Really frustrating and I feel for all - thank you for any advice you all have.

Hi 21Jimbo-

If you are not experiencing interdose withdrawal symptoms I would suggest you taper directly from the Ativan. You have only been on the Ativan for 5 months. Switching over can make the process more complicated.

For starters, why not try to cut the .5mg tablets into 1/4's (.125mg) that is 12.5% reduction and see how you feel there while you come up with a plan to titrate with the  liquid. The liquid daily taper really is ultimately the way to go :thumbsup:

a daily liquid micro taper is definitely the way to go - check out the titration board and post and one of the micro-taper gurus will offer help.

I've been doing the liquid taper for xanax. Definitely the way to go. Some people recommended I switch to valium or klonopin to taper, but I am so glad I didn't. All the posts I see from people who switched to valium seem to have a difficult time with it. It makes them too sleepy, and they feel more anxious from it. That may be my confirmation bias, but oh well. My taper from xanax has gone reasonably smoothly, with a few hiccups here and there when I held.

Thank you all.  I think I’m having a little inter dose issue, little heart palp, little uneasy and anxious. I know only “5 months “ Didn’t know if the 25% cut was too much as mentioned. Wondering when and if I would stabilize from that cut as it has been about 3 weeks. Trying to be patient.  So if I’m reading right get those .5mgs into 1/4s, or .125 and us that as a next potential cut. Also move towards some type of liquid taper / micro taper to smooth down over time. 

Since I’m also on anti depressant Pristiq, since Nov 1 at 50 mg then in Dec moved to 100mg, would all advise to get the Ativan out first and deal with Pristiq later after stability.

Thank you so much - you are all great and know many have endured for much longer periods of time. Appreciate you all.

Thank you all.  I think I’m having a little inter dose issue, little heart palp, little uneasy and anxious. I know only “5 months “ Didn’t know if the 25% cut was too much as mentioned. Wondering when and if I would stabilize from that cut as it has been about 3 weeks. Trying to be patient.  So if I’m reading right get those .5mgs into 1/4s, or .125 and us that as a next potential cut. Also move towards some type of liquid taper / micro taper to smooth down over time. 

Since I’m also on anti depressant Pristiq, since Nov 1 at 50 mg then in Dec moved to 100mg, would all advise to get the Ativan out first and deal with Pristiq later after stability.

Thank you so much - you are all great and know many have endured for much longer periods of time. Appreciate you all.

If the 25% cut was too much go up .125mg to .875mg. An indicator it was to much of a cut is the interdose issues and heart palps. It can be advantageous to start a daily taper from a good place where you are experiencing minimal symptoms.

Liquid micro taper worked for me and was so much smoother. Once you get the hang of it, the process is easier and much more precise than dry cutting