So much trouble with tinnitus! How to cope???

[Go...]

I've had mild problems with tinnitus for years, but since I started tapering off Valium it has gotten almost intolerable. I've had my share of other w/d symptoms, and a visit to ER with "bugs crawling" and severe headache. But the tinnitus is just too much. It is almost more than I think I can continue to bear. A few times I've wondered if going back on Valium might not be the solution. But I'm determined to get off this med.

There is probably another thread here somewhere, but I can't find it. I really need some help with this. How have others coped with this. It is constant, shrill, and nothing masks it. The more I try to not be bothered by it, the more it bothers me. Suggestions, please?

My T also started after I switched from Lorazepam to Valium and started to taper. For a while I could knock it down by increasing my dose of Valium  but as I tapered, it has remained pretty constant. My T is also very high pitched and constant.... about 10KC.  I have seen people report getting T tapering off any Benzo...not just Valium or Lorazepam... even Z-Drugs and Antibiotics. Its called Ototoxic and there are a lot of meds that can be Ototoxic to our hearing.

I don't get more than a couple of hours sleep because of  Benxo Insomnia anyway ...T has made it more difficult.  About all I have been able to do at night is use "masking" sounds off the internet

with ear buds.  In the daytime it doesn't bother me too much so I just do this at night.

Below is a link to a masking sound that works pretty good for me for my high frequency T... I have tried A LOT of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjgnlUA6gKk

From what I understand, ... like everything else we experience in withdrawal & Tapering... it has to do with downregulated GABA receptors in the ear and in the audio cortex of the brain.

I see people get it more often if they do a rapid taper/CT but its hard to tell why some people get T

and others don't. I have also seen people get it post taper.... many months later.  I'm 2 weeks off Valium

and have also considered re-instating but like you.... I'm also determined to get off benzos.

Ashton says T is one of the last symptoms to go away..... I hope it does.

Thanks for your response. AND for the link. I listened to it for a few minutes, and it has so many different sounds and frequencies that it does seem to lessen the shrillness of my tinnitus a bit. I will add your link to my bag of tricks.

It's also helpful to know that I'm not alone in sometimes, just briefly, wondering if it wouldn't be worth it to go back on the valium. I really need some relief. It's first thing in the morning, throughout the day, and last thing at night.

I won't give up if you won't give up. We've got to hang in there and belief we'll get better.

Gonna, I developed horrible tinnitus on my taper. It is a lot better now . . . although I do still have it. I'm hoping the last of it will fade in time.

To help with sleep, I use a white noise machine on the "rain" setting. I don't notice my tinnitus at night because of that. In the car (I drive a lot for work) I listen to songs on my mp3 player which cover it up. And at home it's usually not bothersome. It's always there like a low-grade sizzle but it doesn't rise to the level of my attention unless I'm answering a post about tinnitus  ::) or something makes me think about it.

So, I think yours will fade also. There's a buddy on here named Birdman who suffered from tinnitus terribly. But hers (yes, she's a she) is a lot better. I think you can get into the tinnitus thread by searching for her name.

Hang in there, Gonna. It's awful, but it's caused by our benzo w/d. I think I read that benzos are ototxic -- but that our ears heal.

I feel for you. Stay strong!

:smitten:

Katz

GonnaGetBetter,

I tried going back up in V dose but found once T started (it was like a light switch was flipped on), an increase in V

only dulled the T.... never would stop it.  Then as I continued to taper,  it pretty much became constant, Early on,

I would get multiple tones.... high and low which is really difficult to mask.... now its just that constant 10KC high pitched tone.  I even took (not recommended)  .5mg of Atavan one night and all it did was dull it for about 12hrs.

This is one of my worst sxs so far.... but not giving up.... just gota figure out ways to deal with sxs as they appear

and hope they subside as our brain/body heals. Lots of good info on this site ..... ways that others are dealing with

various sxs.

Thank you, Katz. It is helpful to know that others who have had big problems with tinnitus have also found gradual improvement.

I have always loved the sound of silence. And I hate having the tinnitus take that bit of simple enjoyment from me. Stubbornly I resent having to introduce other sounds (i.e. white noise, music, background noise) to try to mask the tinnitus. But I think I just have to learn to accept that for now silence is not going to be something I can enjoy for awhile. Introducing distracting background sound is much less anxiety provoking than the shrillness of tinnitus. Nothing covers it up, but perhaps I can find ways to make it suck less.

I'll look and see if I can find Birdman and see what her experience has been.  Thanks for your support and suggestion.

Top, I think you're right. I don't want to use Valium again to get rid of the tinnitus. I've gone through too much these last 6 months to go back now.

It really is the most disturbing symptom, isn't it? It's good to be reminded that we will heal. Thanks.

I’m going to relay some thoughts in hopes it might be helpful, but I think your T issues are much more severe so I’m just hoping I don’t sound dismissive because that’s definitely not my intention.  So, I’ve always embraced it happily because mine would come on really loud and I would just stop for a moment and focus on it almost with excitement as I read it’s your brain actually attempting to heal.  But this loud ring would always go away within a minute.  So I was confused when I read how people had a constant sound, all the time.  I didn’t understand that.  Then one day as I was reading a post, and a very clear description of a high pitched cicada.....I started hearing it! I quickly panicked and realized, I had not perceived this noise before and I should ignore it as soon as possible because even in that brief time, I could see how that could drive one near insane.  Because I’m focusing on it now and it’s quiet I can still hear it.  So, I guess I’m trying to say perception and focus might be a way to alleviate this. If you can first think of it as a good sign (like loud construction workers upgrading your brain) and then find a way to ignore it. I know the ignoring part might be impossible as mine is very quiet and I’m assuming others is much more intrusive. I just couldn’t believe I never heard it until someone pointed it out.  Hoping you get some relief!

Saige, you're not being dismissive at all. I think you do understand and you sound very sympathetic. What you said helps. Thank you.

it's been helpful with almost all other symptoms to think of them as signs of healing. I'd really like to find a way to do that with the Tinnitus, but it is so loud, and constant, and shrill that I just can't seem to get there. Even when parts of my body shake or I get that feeling that I'm walking on a boat I can pause and observe and realize that it's just my body and brain trying to find "normal" again. I'll even talk to my muscles and encourage them to keep on trying to figure out how to relax on their own. (Sounds crazy, but it helps...) Just can't do that with this tinnitus.

I think it is, as you suggested, perception and focus. The cicada example is a good one. Last summer I noticed the cicadas buzzing out in my garden and I did recognize it as similar to the volume and continuous sound of my tinnitus (just not as high a frequency as my tinnitus.) Yet I could accept their sound as a sound of nature and summer. Somewhat annoying, yes, but also pleasant and appropriate for summer. And it really didn't bother me all that much. It brought back memories of summer camp when I was young.

I wish I could find a way to change my perception of my tinnitus in that same way. It's hard because it is more shrill, louder, and constant but if I could just change my perception bit by bit it might help. I will talk to my therapist about that. Maybe she can help me. It is the one symptom that I fight with the hardest. I wish I could learn to accept it and be patient.

I understand. That’s how I am with trouble swallowing (which I think is actually anxiety). I still can’t handle it and it causes increased panic every time.  There are some symptoms that are just too much sometimes.  Hoping it calms down soon and that the therapist might help!

[a2...]

I already had it before this, metal guitar player for 30 years, countless shows, practices etc, young and drunk not protecting my ears.

i remember when withdrawal began to set in and my ears were like chainsaws buzzing and then i read "tinnitus" a common symptom.

oh goodie.

yet another tragic irony of withdrawal.

its so loud some days its insanity, and pther days its tolerable.

my fear is that on the other side of this godawful ordeal my ears are going to be even worse which sucks cause i have a number of people hoping to jam music with. i wear very strong ear plugs every time i play but it still makes it uncomfortable

I also use a white sound machine, I have it, always turned on, next to my bed on my night table.

My tinnitus has gotten better. I got it while tapering when I had a very loud MRI for one of my numerous withdrawal symptoms.

I've started using background sounds more often the past few days. But I've heard that it's important to have periods of time without the white sound, etc. I find that it doesn't mask the T very much, but it does seem to give me a distraction to try to focus on. And it is an improvement. And an improvement is something, isn't it?

Thanks, everybody.

I’ve read a lot about tinnitus, in the hope to find a relief from it, somewhere I read, that the sound of the white sound machine should be always lower than your tinnitus. When my tinnitus first started almost two years ago, I went to several ear, nose and throat doctors, and the last one I went to, did a hearing test and found I had lost some hearing on that ear, he recommended that I take ginkgo biloba, which I never did, because of my fear of taking anything while tapering. I went back for another check up a year later and I had another hearing test done and my hearing had improved and my tinnitus lessened. I told him about the white sound machine and he told me to keep using it, since it had improved my symptoms. Most of the things that have helped me with my withdrawal symptoms have been things I have researched on the web. I go to doctors for the diagnosis and then I do my own homework before taking any medication.

May your tinnitus improve soon.

Demelza,

So using the white sound actually lessened your tinnitus AND helped improve your hearing? :) That's wonderful! (Wouldn't it be something if your hearing loss had been because your tinnitus was so loud it was covering up the ambient sounds? Ha.)

Sounds like I should keep working with the white noise and masking sounds at a low volume. From your experience it seems that covering up the tinnitus is not the goal, having something soft and steady is distraction enough. Maybe I'll find something that is actually relaxing to listen to. Like the sound of rain.

I'm glad you found some relief and improvement. Thanks for passing that on.

Dear GonnaBetter,

My white sound machine is called Dreamegg, I ordered it from Amazon. It has different sounds I use the fan sound lower than my tinnitus. I don't hear all day long, because I'm not all day in bed, but I leave on all day and night. My tinnitus started with an MRI I had for one of my many withdrawal symptoms, where my left ear was not properly covered. It has significantly improved.

Yes, I would give a serious try to the whitesound if I were you.

Best.

Dear GonnaBetter,

My white sound machine is called Dreamegg, I ordered it from Amazon. It has different sounds I use the fan sound lower than my tinnitus. I don't hear all day long, because I'm not all day in bed, but I leave on all day and night. My tinnitus started with an MRI I had for one of my many withdrawal symptoms, where my left ear was not properly covered. It has significantly improved.

Yes, I would give a serious try to the whitesound if I were you.

Best.

Demelza, my Dreamegg arrived this afternoon. I think it is the best thing I've tried yet. Thanks for the suggestion.

My tinnitus is worse than I can remember it ever being these past few weeks since my last reduction to .5 Valium.  I'm feeling desperate. I'm having such an extreme emotional and physical reaction to it. I've turned on the Dreamegg to the storm sounds. It doesn't begin to mask the T, but it is a pleasant sound and I think it is helping me to feel more relaxed than the other things I've tried.

But the incessant shrill of the T makes me want to scream or just cry. I'll keep the Dreamegg on for the help it gives, but I'm not sure how much more of this Tinnitus I can listen to before I flip. I've been sleeping so much this week just to avoid the shrieking Tinnitus. I don't feel like I should spend so much of my day and night sleeping. That's no life. I feel like I should be able to handle this better. But I need the relief. I worry about what happens if I can't sleep any longer.

This is terrible.

The whitesound machine, should be played lower than your tinnitus, it is not supposed to mask it, but with time it creates a diversion for your brain. Trust me, your tinnitus will get better, I felt just like you when it first started, but it got much better with time, some days I can hardly hear it.  I also read a book called Rewiring Tinnitus, by Glenn Shweitz, you can also order it from Amazon.

Stay strong.

I'm glad that "white noise" works for you.  White noise is "frequency insensitive" and can cover up

just about any frequency of Tinnitus.

I found it useful to "target" masking sounds by finding one that matches the frequency of your Tinnitus... mine is

high frequency .... about 10KC.

You can use the online frequency generator at the link below to calculate the approximate frequency of

your Tinnitus  (move the slider up or down until you find a tone that matches your T)

http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Once you have done that, you can do a Google search for Tinnitus masking sounds that best match the frequency of your T.  So if your frequency is 7k, do a Google search for "Tinnitus masking sounds 7KC" .  There are a lot of sample sounds on the internet that will pop up with a search. Some of the "nature sounds" do a pretty good job masking T.

Besides "White Noise", there is "Pink Noise" and "Brown Noise"... different levels of intensity... just Google the name. 

Below is a link to a masking sound that works pretty good for me for my high frequency T... I have tried A LOT of them !

http://dtfsdf.oco.net/Crickets_4.mp3

Hope this helps some of you "T" sufferers out there.

A few of you have used the tone generator link to calculate the frequency of your T. Top, you said your frequency is 10KC. When I went to the site I only saw mention of Hz. Can anyone tell me how Hz is converted to KC?

Demelza, you say the white sound should be played "lower" than my Tinnitus. Do you mean lower volume, or low frequency? I think matching the frequency would send me right over the edge. I'm now trying the Dreamegg on the thunderstorm setting. It does provide some diversion, but as you said, nothing masks it. I also have hyperacusis so I do need to keep the volume of the white noise at a level I can tolerate.

I'm feeling desperate to find some relief. I do believe it will get better, and it is encouraging to hear that, but I want to be sane enough to enjoy it when it is gone...

Dear gonnaGetBetter,

I never did any research on the frequency of my tinnitus.

Somewhere I read about the whitesound machine and I tried a couple before I found the one I use now, which has helped me a lot. I read many times that tinnitus doesn’t get better, but mine  did. I know we are all different and I can only speak for myself. i do use the whitesound machine on a lower volume than my tinnitus. Your research on frequency is very interesting, I’m going to look into it.

Best.

Sorry GonaGetBetter....  10kc  is 10,000 hz  . K is a thousand multiplier

Abbreviations left over from my Amateur Radio Days.  "K"= thousands and "c"= cycles= hz.