When is peak withdraw symptoms when starting a taper?

[Pe...]

My husband started his taper Wednesday, he went from 1mg 3x a day, to 1 mg 1x a day, it went well til day 3 so he took 1mg 2x on day 3, Saturday he took 1 mg 1x the Sunday and today he cut the pill in half and took half 2x a day, tonight hes starting to really starting to feel it. My question is is there an average time frame when withdraw symptoms peak so to speak?

Thank you in advance.

My husband started his taper Wednesday, he went from 1mg 3x a day, to 1 mg 1x a day, it went well til day 3 so he took 1mg 2x on day 3, Saturday he took 1 mg 1x the Sunday and today he cut the pill in half and took half 2x a day, tonight hes starting to really starting to feel it. My question is is there an average time frame when withdraw symptoms peak so to speak?

Thank you in advance.

Which type of benzo? They all have different half-lifes (lives?). Some will leave the body quicker than others. Faster acting benzos like Xanax and Ativan will stay in the body a shorter time than longer acting benzos like Valium or Klonopin.

In any case, the taper sounds much too quick.

Its ativan. I realize it's way too quick. My husband is very stubborn and I'm the one who researched everything he wants to know only as needed not everything. He would rather be in the dark.

I agree that he is going way too fast.

A DLMT (Daily Liquid MIcro Taper) is the smoothest, safest way to get off benzos. Go to the Titration board and pot this headline: "Need Detailed Help with a DLMT from Ativan" - there are amazing people who will help you and guide you with a smart, safe and smooth plan. One member who helps so many people is Builder - he is truly a Godsend on this site.

Tell your husband to go slow - it takes a while to do this but going fast will only lead to more suffering and a harsher w/d.

He WILL HEAL.

Right now he is day 4 of going down to .5mg 2x daily. Hes nervous but ok. I'm trying to figure out how long I should be expecting withdraw from this particular taper to get worse. Like its day 4 are the symptoms going to get worse over the next week or 2 or bc it a short acting benzo is his body adjusting now. I did get him to agree to a slower liquid taper after this but the pills he has left is it. Hes going off bc of a new job. In order for him to get the new job the psych dr had to sign a paper that it is discontinued so there will not be any future scripts. Neither of us have gone through or seen anyone go through withdraw other than tabacco. So I'm really looking for advice on what yo expect. I like to be prepared he likes to take it as it comes and be in the dark. So I have to be the eyes ears everything to keep him safe.

Thank u

Petejenna;

Need more information to try to answer you questions.

Ok ... so we know your husband was on Atavan.  How long has he been on Atavan, what was his maximum dosage and for how long and  how often was he taking it since originally prescribed and why was he put on it to begin with?

This is the kind of info that you should put in a "signature" which is a summation of all this info so you don't have to  keep repeating it.  Go to the top of the main page and click on it where it say "Profile".  Then select  "Forum Profile".  There it will let you enter all the above info into a "signature" that will appear at the bottom of all you posts automatically.

SOMETMES short time users (less than two weeks use) can get by with a rapid taper.... but not always. Its always best to do some kind of at taper  vs "a cold turkey" .  Has your husband reach "tolerance"  (interdose withdrawals) to the Atavan before he started trying to taper off of it ??  I know he wants to get off of Atavan in order to get this new job, but depending on a lot of variables, this rush to get off it it may backfire and affect his ability to perform his new job.  Unfortunately, getting off benzos can be harder than getting off crack cocaine. Getting benzos out of your system is the easy, predictable part. Unlike opioids (that create an addiction, not a physical dependence) its the recovery of the damage to the Central Nervous System after the Benzo has left the stage that is the unpredictable part.

Please tell us the whole story ..... there many that are here willing to give you their suggestions and try to answer you questions.  You have a lot of "blanks" to fill in before buddies can try to answer you questions and  give your their "best guess"  as to  what your husband might expect.

I'm not an expert, but withdrawal symptoms probably won't begin to peak until at least a few days after cutting back. After that it could be several weeks of symptoms. Everyone is different, but they can be quite intense depending on a myriad of factors.

What you've described in your OP is not really a taper. It sounds like he is almost totally cutting his dose to zero over a period of 3-4 days. A taper involves making gradual cuts over a period of months. I wouldn't expect to fully feel the effects of a single cut for at least several days.